• Show
Clear All

• 2013 French Open...Roland Garros, Paris, France

Let the games begin! Comments too!
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Let's cheer for the youngsters...

Murray has withdrawn, damn!

It's time to start monitoring the progress of the up and comers. Let's watch tennis_chiro's Jerzy and my Benoit Paire (at 24 not exactly a newcomer but he's getting better). Dimitrov, too, must come good soon.

Anyone else spotted a youngster worth monitoring? Or just anyone worth watching? This drought cannot continue forever. Someone has to break through soon into that top four sooner or later.
    Stotty

Comment

The Seeding...

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post

It's time to start monitoring the progress of the up and comers. Let's watch tennis_chiro's Jerzy and my Benoit Paire (at 24 not exactly a newcomer but he's getting better). Dimitrov, too, must come good soon.

Anyone else spotted a youngster worth monitoring? Or just anyone worth watching? This drought cannot continue forever. Someone has to break through soon into that top four sooner or later.
      Wawrinka has been having some good results against the top players recently. You are right...these "new kid's on the block" will spice things up a bit. More so than in recent years.

Before we even consider anyone outside of the top four we must take a look at the seeding to evaluate any long shots. With Nadal slipping out of the top two spots (?) he becomes the "wild card" and it is ultimately of vital importance to see who is going to be projected against who in the semi-finals. Will Federer get a free pass without either Djokovic or Nadal in his half?

Ironically...Murrays absence may just make things that more interesting.
      Last edited by don_budge; 05-22-2013, 05:01 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
      don_budge

Comment

Gulbis

would like to see how Gulbis performs as well. Nadal / gulbis match-up is getting interesting to watch..

Comment

Gulbis...and potential up and comers

Originally posted by gokulms View Post
          would like to see how Gulbis performs as well. Nadal / gulbis match-up is getting interesting to watch..
          Yes, Gulbis doesn't fear Nadal. He even shows a little contempt towards him at times. Gulbis thinks he's a match for Nadal despite his Nadal's incredible record on clay. And that's no bad thing. An up and coming player should have a little contempt.

The up and comer has one great advantage over the likes of Federer or Nadal. His game is unfamiliar to them, while his knowledge of their game ought to be substantial, as video footage is available all over the place. The up and comer has the opportunity to know his famous rivals inside out before he's even played them.
          Last edited by stotty; 05-24-2013, 12:37 PM.
          Stotty

Comment

The draw

Well here's the men's draw

The exclusive home of Roland-Garros tennis delivering live scores, schedules, draws, players, news, photos, videos and the most complete coverage of The 2024 Roland-Garros Tournament.

My man Benoit Paire meets Marco Baghdatis in the first round, so not an easy start...but I believe Benoit will win this one.

Djokovic has some tough early matches and could well face Dimitrov in the third round...interesting.

If Rosol progresses, he will meet Nadal in the third round. I think Nadal will be looking to set the record straight here.

Federer's draw looks a breeze. I just hope he doesn't make the final if it's to meet Nadal.

tennis_chiro's Jerzy has a Spaniard in the first round (no Spaniard on clay can be easy) but should get to the third round where he will face a stern test against Wawrinka.

Let's wish Benoit and Jerzy good luck...we need new kids on the block.
            Last edited by stotty; 05-24-2013, 02:49 PM.
            Stotty

Comment

men's draw is out.

Stotty makes a nice observation with a Djokovic-Dimitrov match in the 3rd round.

The mindset with the majority of tennis fans is Djokovic-Nadal semi-final. Can't blame them.

Federer's draw looks pretty clear cut but there is a match with Julien Benneteau looming in the 3rd round as well. The frenchman, playing in front of the home crowd, with previous success against Federer. Could make it tricky for the Swiss Maestro.

My semi-final picks...

Top Half: Djokovic vs. Nadal. Winner: Djokovic in 4. (Betting on Cold, heavy conditions. Will be a slugfest. All 4 sets very close. a few tiebreaks.)

Bottom Half: Berdych vs. Federer. Winner: Federer in 4. (Berdych will whip Fed in one set but can't keep the level high enough for long enough)

Finals...

Federer vs. Djokovic. Winner: Federer!

Am I crazy? Prepping myself for projectile forum post lashings from those that think differently. Let me hear it.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
              Boca Raton

Comment

I agree with Kyle in the bottom half of the draw. I like Nadal in 4 over Novak in the top half. I don't guess anyone would pick Roger in that final unless Nadal comes down with an injury.
                Last edited by stroke; 05-26-2013, 12:15 AM.

Comment

"Projectile form post lashings..." and the coup de grace.

Originally posted by klacr View Post
                  Finals...

Am I crazy? Prepping myself for projectile forum post lashings from those that think differently. Let me hear it.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                  Boca Raton
                  Curious choice of words. I like it. Projectiles...in this case words hurled with vindictiveness. But yes...you are crazy. I only say that because you seem happy. There's a projectile form post lashing for you. Left handed of course.

I'm not much of a prognosticator. Telling the future is not one of my forte's. I always find myself saying...one never knows. With a quizzical look on my face. One never knows, do they? Life has a way of surprising you. Catching you with your pants down...the hand in the cookie jar sometimes. People often do the unexpected.

So as far as these newcomers go...they come and they go. It's a special breed that get to the top...and stay there. The current crop includes Djokovic, Nadal and Federer. Federer holding on with his fingernails. Murray nowhere to be seen...another top player disappearing into the void of injuryness.

So yes...the draw is out. Once again the randomness of the placing of the third and fourth seeds plays havoc on the natural order of things. One should play four and two should play three...in the projected semi's. In my book. Where everything is fair...and makes sense. It would be Djokovic vs. Ferrer and Nadal vs. Federer. That's the draw that makes sense. Those are the matches that we want to see...or rather that I want to see. Sometimes I make the mistake that there is actually somewhere out there that sees the same things I do.

At any rate...be that as it may. If I had it my way with the draw, with the way that it really is...Federer vs. Nadal is the match to hope for. If Nadal and Djokovic can slug it out for five sets and six plus hours...could the Swiss Maestro step up to the plate and apply the finishing touch...the coup de grace. The stroke of grace? The final blow or shot to kill a wounded person or animal...or tennis player. I want to believe that it has been an aberration what we have seen from Federer vs. Nadal. I want to believe that the "one" that everyone wants to tout as the GOAT...Greatest Of All Time is not so tactically challenged as he appears to be.

Keep it on the backhand...hit aggressively to the forehand when you do. Aggressively meaning hit "tactically" for each and every situation in this case. For instance...deep to the backhand then short and low crosscourt with a vicious underspin. Or...short to the backhand then pound a drive into the forehand corner. Mix up the pace, depth and spin on the backhand...try to swing the tactics to backhand vs. backhand and avoid the Nadal forehand to the Federer backhand like the plague, then open up the court with diversity of spin, pace and depth. Think McEnroe vs. Borg. Maintain the pressure at all time...in the words of Bill Tilden. Death by a thousand cuts...then the coup de grace on match point. Patience, patience...patience.

But guess what. They have to get there first. Ok...one step at a time. Interesting matches in the first round? Sure...there are many. But there is one that catches my eye as a possible match of interest. It is none other than klacr's Tomas Berdych vs. Gail Monfils. Has there ever been a player that plays it "fast and loose" as Monfils does? Not that I recall. He's a real character and a former top ten player. He's got plenty of upset in him if he can just hold it together mentally long enough. Berdych is probably too mentally tough for Monfils loosey-goosey approach to topple him...but play it certain with the French crowd behind him. He'd love to be the crowd pleaser and if they want an upset he should try to appease them.

None of the newcomers really are contenders yet. At least on paper. They are only one inspired week away from establishing themselves into the upper echelon. Three names make an impression on me in this regard. Grigor DiMitrov from Bulgaria and training out of Sweden, Stanislas Wawrinka of Switzerland and Jerzy "Joe" Janowicz from Poland. These three guys have the correct combination of all of the ingredients and are in the process of calibrating themselves for a run at a major. Maybe not this year...maybe not ever. But nonetheless...these are the guys that are worth watching. If you are looking for something to spice things up.

But most likely it will come down to the usual suspects in the end. We shall see. One never knows...you know. One thing is for certain though...all eyes will be on Fabio Fognini's eye candy. Svetoslava.
                  Last edited by don_budge; 05-26-2013, 10:42 AM.
                  don_budge

Comment

Invitation to a contest

I'm inviting you alll to join the contest on the Roland Garros web site. My team is "oldpros". I registered a group called "Tennisplayers" for members of the tennisplayer.net forum. I'll put up a thread. To compete in the group you'll need the group's name: Tennisplayers and the password which is 6WYXS.

The url is http://www.myrolandgarroscup.com/

It's under the Social drop down menu on the main web site as the Official Game.

Check it out on the RG website (http://www.rolandgarros.com/). You pick up to 6 players each round. You spend a preassigned budget and you earn points depennding on how well you do.

I'd rather keep it to the men's singles, but the game doesn't seem to allow for that.

Thought it might be fun.

don

Comment

No contests...my focus is too narrow.

The contest sounds like fun...if you like that sort of thing. I cannot be bothered and I say that with all due respect. I don't have time or the energy for it. Just like I don't have the energy for computer games. There is only one game at the moment...the moment of truth. Roland Garros...The French Open Championships. Well there is the other game...the one going on inside my noodle. Know what I mean?

But back to the championships and they are going to be a great one this year. I can tell. It has already taken some shape and the first round has not been completed. The draw in itself is compelling...with the top two players in the clay court universe in the top half and our aging superstar in the bottom. These days it is getting a bit more precarious for superstars though. The tier just below is getting a bit impatient and they are losing a bit of their awe and respect for the anointed ones. Stanislas Wawrinka is looking more and more disdainful at some of the top players...losing a bit of respect and awe. I saw he and DiMitrov having a bit of a moment together with Wawrinka coming out on top this time...bullying just a little. Wawrinka and Jerzy "Joe" are looking at a confrontation early on in this years French Open. These things can spell upsets. Nobody gets a free pass in Paris this year. The field is laden with landmines all the way to the finals. This years champion is going to earn it...not that every other champion has not. I have a feeling. I wish that I was there.

Yesterday I tuned in for a couple of moments to see Michael Llodra serve and volley his way past some player from Belgium. It was really nice to watch and he is really good at it...all of the angles with some really good touch mixed in with sharp, crisp volleys and sound smashing. Good for you Micheal and this kind of tennis is not dead...it is only hibernating. Sooner or later somehow if the tennis world has just a hint of a brain the game will be engineered and coached back to this type of tennis. Tilden recommended one surface at one point...standardization. Now it finally might make some sense...even though the surfaces are already so similar. Kudo's to Llodra for persevering.

I watched David Ferrer ever so briefly EverReady Battery Energizer Bunny his opponent to death. Typically boring and successful. I watched James Blake just long enough in his match against Troicki to watch him chase down a ball from the net to the baseline to hit it between his legs on a lob over Viktor who was at the net. I had never seen anyone play a lob off of that shot before...it sort of defies physics.

The exclusive home of Roland-Garros tennis delivering live scores, schedules, draws, players, news, photos, videos and the most complete coverage of The 2024 Roland-Garros Tournament.

Yeah...the tournament is looking particularly interesting this year. The first round has not been completed...Berdych and Monfils later today. DiMitrov and Alejandro Falla too...could be interesting. He doesn't like to be called "Baby Fed" you know. What about Janko Tipsarevic and Nicolas Mahut? Anyone willing to bet on Tipsarevic who cannot seem to buy a win nowadays.
                      Last edited by don_budge; 05-27-2013, 02:41 AM.
                      don_budge

Comment

men's draw is out.

My semi-final picks...

Top Half: Djokovic vs. Nadal. Winner: Djokovic in 4. (Betting on Cold, heavy conditions. Will be a slugfest. All 4 sets very close. a few tiebreaks.)

Bottom Half: Berdych vs. Federer. Winner: Federer in 4. (Berdych will whip Fed in one set but can't keep the level high enough for long enough)

Finals...

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                        Boca Raton

Ok... So I was wrong with the whole Berdych thing. I can admit it. I always do. Not many tennis coaches will admit they are terribly wrong or way off. I'm a rare breed I guess. I was really wrong.

Credit to Monfils. He played well. Served brilliantly.

Is it too early to start my Berdych favoritism for Wimbledon? Probably. Today's match hurt in many ways. Tough loss for Tberd.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                        Boca Raton

Comment

Berdy and Jerzy

Ok... So I was wrong with the whole Berdych thing. I can admit it. I always do. Not many tennis coaches will admit they are terribly wrong or way off. I'm a rare breed I guess. I was really wrong.

Credit to Monfils. He played well. Served brilliantly.

Is it too early to start my Berdych favoritism for Wimbledon? Probably. Today's match hurt in many ways. Tough loss for Tberd.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                          Boca Raton
                          Predicting the outcome of matches is an impossible job. We'd all be millionaires out of the bookmakers if we could.

I saw a couple of sets of the Berydch match. His forehand let him down...looked edgy on it. He had some terrible patches, losing eleven points in a row on one of them.

Monfils played a stunner in front of the home crowd. It meant a lot to him and it was always going to be a tough first round match for Berdy.

I saw a set of Jerzy's match versus Ramos. It was a bit of a ball-slamming exercise. He hit four aces in a row to win one service game, and crunched huge forehands to win others. He played a handful of nice drop shots. I found his movement for a big man the most impressive aspect of his game. He moves more like a man of 5,11 than a man of 6,8...lithe. He's a little intense, isn't he? No danger of him losing focus, one feels.
                          Stotty

Comment

Jerzy's stats

Predicting the outcome of matches is an impossible job. ..

I saw a set of Jerzy's match versus Ramos. It was a bit of a ball-slamming exercise. He hit four aces in a row to win one service game, and crunched huge forehands to win others. He played a handful of nice drop shots. I found his movement for a big man the most impressive aspect of his game. He moves more like a man of 5,11 than a man of 6,8...lithe. He's a little intense, isn't he? No danger of him losing focus, one feels.
                            That's what I've been saying since last November. Not only does he move well, he can do something when he gets there. Looks a lot more mature in RG than he did in those early matches at the Aussie.

Check the stats on the RG website. I think Jerzy had 3 winners for every 2 ue's. High first serve percentage. Average 2nd over 100mph. Just 3 doubles that didn't cost him any breaks. Got out of 0-40 in the third and allowed just 6 breakpoints overall losing just one. If he holds that solid, he can afford to take more risk with his groundies. He didn't seem to get distracted. Didn't see a lot. Found the match late on LSHunters. Also had great numbers on going to the net.

Stats page on RG site shows a lot more when you pull up the momentum view. You can see where break points, aces, etc took place. Cool!

don
                            Last edited by tennis_chiro; 05-27-2013, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Nadal is vulnerable

Just watched the first two sets of Nadal's victory over Brands. Those knees are worse than they were a year ago. He can run, but he pays a price and it is constantly going up. He doesn't just prance around the court like he used to between points; he limps. Part of it may be a con, but he is not what he was as far as his legs go.

I posted the following about the Brands match in another thread:

For those of you that think the classic one-handed backhand of Edberg/Korda (with a moderate Eastern grip and a follow through in the classic manner towards the target without a great deal of movement (almost none) of the rear shoulder) is too weak a weapon against the heavy topspin of today's pros, you need to watch the free video on demand of today's match between Brands and Nadal, especially the first two sets.

On Roland Garros's red clay against Nadal, Brands was pushing Rafa around with that classic backhand. Granted, he was really hitting out, but there was no question of whether the shot he was hitting was adequate to the task or had too little topspin. Sure, he would have hit a safer shot with a little more topspin, but it would not have penetrated the court with the same deadly effect. Also helps to be a 6' 5" , 200 lb. block of granite. But take a good look at the conservative nature of the stroke, grip and follow-through. The VOD allows you to stop and look at points over again as you go.

BTW, the VOD feature supplied by Tennis Channel is terrific. Completely free. I don't know how many or how long they will keep the matches up, but they have 20 matches in full up from yesterday and 15 from today.

Go to:

You'll see VOD as a choice with LIVE on the upper right side of your screen.

And look for Brands to be a member of the top 20 by the end of the year if not by the end of the summer. He and his classic backhand are not a fluke. Rafa was very lucky to get out of that 2nd set tie-breaker. At 0-3, Brands just missed a winner off a forehand return of a second serve. At 3-2, Nadal slipped and, perhaps distracted, Brands missed a routine backhand approach down the line that should have ended the point. And if you want to see that backhand in action, go to the 8th point of the tie-breaker (about the 1:51:00 mark which will display when you grab the slider at the bottom of the video). Then at 4-4, Nadal benefited from a shot hitting the net and forcing an error from Brands. Of course, Nadal followed that up with two great winners, but he was lucky to still be in the tb. Brands is just 25 and just attained his highest ranking inside the top 60. Haven't seen the last two sets yet, but I love his demeanor.

don

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7914 users online. 3 members and 7911 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X