Torben Ulrich: Still Original

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torben Ulrich: Still Original

Let's get your thoughts on Lee Tyler's latest, "Torben Ulrich: Still Original"

Great article. I knew that Lars Ulrich of Metallica had a tennis pro father but didn't know the father's whole story. Very cool stuff to learn about a very colorful character in Torben Ulrich.

Lars a big tennis fan, good friends with Brad Gilbert as well.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Comment

He played against Richard Gonzalez...

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...pg=6382,337442

Some photos from the match...

http://store.historicimages.com/products/rsk76873

Comment

A very Interesting Character...Torben Ulrich

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
        Let's get your thoughts on Lee Tyler's latest, "Torben Ulrich: Still Original"
        I have read a bit of Torben Ulrich...Lee's portrait another beauty of these "old timers".

Some wonderful connections...his learning to play tennis at a boarding school in Sweden. His father's partnership with the King of Sweden...I wonder if he knew Gottfried Von Cramm. His jazz background...he and Don Budge no doubt knew each other. The son a drummer in Metallica yet a Nick Bollettieri attendee.

His take on modern tennis..."interesting...but not very interesting". A good way of putting it.

I would kill for a copy of his book..."The Ball and the Wall". I would also kill for a copy of Lee's "The Teed-Off Ghost". A haunting tale about a golfer that takes place on The Waikoloa Village Golf Course. A very nice Robert Trent Jones design there up on the side of a volcano on the Big Island of Hawaii.

My best to you...Lee.
        don_budge
        Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

I remember the dirty look he gave me otherwise I might have forgotten him, I was a volunteer ball boy at Golden Gateway in S.F. in the 60's, he was playing doubles against Smith and Lutz, he was serving and walking toward the baseline after a point and glanced by way so I bounced the ball to him for the next point but he then closed looked upward in meditation and missed the ball which hit him lightly on the thigh. He acted perturbed by the missed signals.

Comment

Who hasn't given a dirty look to a ball boy? (Unless you are Bill Tilden.)

Comment

etlee,

That's pretty funny from the alleged master of cool zen...

Geoff,

Ha ha.

Comment

Lots of us tennis players are artists. I'd like to Torben that Ulrich.

blue sky goddess
                montage pieces

Comment

Om, to that Geoff...

Comment

Torben and more

Hi, and thanks for your nice words.Glad you enjoyed my story about the fascinating Torben U. "The Ball and the Wall" is not a book; it's a video. You might try contacting the French Tennis Federation, its owners, for a possible copy. Also, you might try Amazon for "The Teed Off Ghost". I don't have a spare copy, alas. Best wishes,Lee
                    QUOTE=don_budge;27845]I have read a bit of Torben Ulrich...Lee's portrait another beauty of these "old timers".

Some wonderful connections...his learning to play tennis at a boarding school in Sweden. His father's partnership with the King of Sweden...I wonder if he knew Gottfried Von Cramm. His jazz background...he and Don Budge no doubt knew each other. The son a drummer in Metallica yet a Nick Bollettieri attendee.

His take on modern tennis..."interesting...but not very interesting". A good way of putting it.

I would kill for a copy of his book..."The Ball and the Wall". I would also kill for a copy of Lee's "The Teed-Off Ghost". A haunting tale about a golfer that takes place on The Waikoloa Village Golf Course. A very nice Robert Trent Jones design there up on the side of a volcano on the Big Island of Hawaii.

My best to you...Lee.[/QUOTE]

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3093 users online. 6 members and 3087 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                    X