A New Teaching System: Forehand: Technical Characteristics: Part 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New Teaching System: Forehand: Technical Characteristics: Part 1

Would love to get your thoughts on "A New Teaching System: Forehand: Technical Characteristics: Part 1!"

part 1

It was great, although I knew it as I coach myself it was useful to go over again.
    Looking forward to part 2.thank you.
    Stotty

Comment

Licensed coach,

Can you send me an email?? videotennis@metricmail.com One of your fellow lta coaches aka Stotty has been posting under this log for many years. Would love to give you your own distinctive login so we can tell the difference.
      Thanks,
      John Yandell

Comment

This is a tour de force. The mark of it's mastery is the effortless matter of fact and clear discussion of many things about the forehand that most players and most coaches don't know or understand or causes their heads to spin. Been away on a long underseas journey. No giant squid left. Glad to be back on the tennis courts.

Comment

absolutely fantastic video

Comment

Required viewing for all tennis coaches. Great work John. Detailed but not over anyone's head. Comprehensive and educational.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
            Boca Raton

Comment

Text and animation format?

Great video, John. Any chance that you could post a version with text and animations? Or perhaps a summary article?

I like the video format because it's easy to digest the first time around. However, these articles are pretty deep; the kind that you'd like to refer to again and again. For that purpose, I like the text and animations because I can skip to one part of the motion that I want to focus on. Same is true for your serve series; I want to go back to review some parts, but it's easier if I don't have to watch the whole video over again.

Comment

PV,

Good news I have just completed my self-cloning and have put JY Number 2 on the case.

Kidding. I didn't put him on the case. He's trout fishing.

The article formats on Tennisplayer vary. The forehand piece you saw is just half of the introduction and all those parts will be broken down into detailed step by step articles over the next few months.

There is a long series of text and animation articles on the forehand in Advanced Tennis that covers much of the same material. But it's a great idea--just don't think JY Number 2 is coming in from the stream.

Comment

Trout vs. Text.

Trout wins.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                  Boca Raton

Comment

I join with those who find the piece an excellent coherent summary of the essentials of (that part of) the contemporary forehand. I look forward to Part II. Your "Advanced Tennis" series of articles provide a solid expansion of the material, should people seek that.

It is remarkable to me how many aspiring players (especially serious rec players) don't know what needs to happen to set up racquet lag and (attendant) external shoulder rotation. I don't know that you could include that level of detail without undermining your goal for the new two-part presentation.

Trout Fishing in America has interfered with many a serious project, which is the point of it, really!

Comment

Attendant lag and external shoulder rotation! Those are topics for your article as we discussed awhile ago. I am staying away from most of the more technical terminology and talking mainly about the positions and how to move between them.

Would be great to have you do something along the lines of Chas's serve articles but for the forehand.

Comment

Have fun with the fish!

Comment

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
                          ... I am staying away from most of the more technical terminology and talking mainly about the positions and how to move between them. ...Would be great to have you do something along the lines of Chas's serve articles but for the forehand.
                          I've been looking for a good and suitably humble point-of-view on that. It's a topic that fascinates me, just as does its analogue in the service. Haven't forgotten! Just had my final 'treatment' two weeks ago. They tell me eventually I'll have much more energy. They say by December I'll likely be up to my old obstreperous self. I've been playing again for about eight weeks.... with very understanding hitting partners. Happy me.

Comment

curiosity...

Originally posted by curiosity View Post
                            I've been looking for a good and suitably humble point-of-view on that. It's a topic that fascinates me, just as does its analogue in the service. Haven't forgotten! Just had my final 'treatment' two weeks ago. They tell me eventually I'll have much more energy. They say by December I'll likely be up to my old obstreperous self. I've been playing again for about eight weeks.... with very understanding hitting partners. Happy me.
                            Curiosity…killed the cat.
                            don_budge
                            Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Curiosity,

All sounds good.

DB,

It can be dangerous--but where would we be without it??

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7880 users online. 10 members and 7870 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X