X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New Teaching Method Forehand: The Windshield Wiper

Would love to get your thoughts on "A New Teaching Method
    Forehand: The Windshield Wiper"!

Very compelling footage as always, John. I see a universal thread amongst these ATP players of bringing a stable arm/racquet structure towards contact and then releasing into the wiper motion you've detailed here. The extension and angle of the wiper can be adjusted as needed for each shot.

I'm excited for your teased video of Bent vs. Straight arm, but this video seems to illustrate it's just individual preference. The hitting arm releases to a similar position for both forehand types during the wiper.

Comment

Good job John. You have the best tennis website going today.

Comment

When you do the fundamentals right, other elements become more natural and effective. The windshield wiper is an element and a key visual cue for the astute eye, or better yet, video.

Great video for the June issue. And much like bdole, I look forward to the bent vs. straight forehand video.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
        Boca Raton

Comment

Yep, really good article John, doing a great job of unraveling the confusion that surrounds the windshield wiper!

Thoughts from anyone about how much attention players should actually give to developing the wiper specifically, and its many variations?

Expanding what Kyle said, if mechanics are correct before and during contact, the hitting arm is loose and relaxed, and the racket is accelerating, then for me, the wiper (along with all other elements of the follow through) will happen naturally, as a consequence of the preceding action.

Comment

Originally posted by nickw View Post
            Expanding what Kyle said, if mechanics are correct before and during contact, the hitting arm is loose and relaxed, and the racket is accelerating, then for me, the wiper (along with all other elements of the follow through) will happen naturally, as a consequence of the preceding action.
            I like this idea but wonder if one can't consciously add to the strength of the wipe too. In any case, those unable to master the wipe (anyone up to a 4.5 in one TV-broadcast view from Jimmy Arias) should know there is another alternative to hitting flat. That would be, in my view, first getting the racket into effective position (part of developing momentum) and then a ripping lift of the elbow straight ahead with knuckles returning to opposite ear.

Comment

John,
              Would love to see you teaching the windshield to someone. I have come across a few methods. Some emphasize rotating the butt cap, some the forearm rotation, some the tip of the racquet, some getting the face of the racquet down at the end of extension and then finishing the shoulder rotation. I have gotten a lot from your presentation, but seeing it taught might clear up some uncertainty.
              Just a suggestion.

Ralph

Comment

Ralph,
                Come to the USPTA convention! I do it based on extension and rotation of the hand!

Comment

I always think that "extension" is one of the slipperier terms in tennis instruction. Does the extension come from elbow moving away from the bod or arm extending at the elbow or from something the bod is doing? Further, could the extension take place when the racket is behind the bod? Does it take place in front of the bod? Is good extension something static that has been established earlier in the cycle? Or is it something kinetic that happens while one is hitting the ball? I guess that instructors other than myself don't care enough about these questions and still others involving the slippery term. But as a tennis student I find such sloppy carelessness reprehensible. I'd much prefer to blame instructors and tennis students other than myself, don't you know. And I dare anybody to take a shot, without rancor, at answering the technical questions in this post.

Comment

Ralph,
                    I've defined it in a specific way as the forward and outward extension of the swing. Here are two articles that give my view of it.

https://www.tennisplayer.net/members...ard_swing.html
                    https://www.tennisplayer.net/members/teaching_systems/john_yandell/forehand_forward_swing/

Comment

Thanks for the follow up. Much appreciated.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7946 users online. 5 members and 7941 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                      X