Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tennisplayer and College Applications

John,

Our son, Michael Patrick Devereux, is a sophomore at Asheville High School. He made the AHS team as a freshman last year. Buster Brown was his coach. He also play year-round on the "Tournament Team" at the Asheville Racquet Club. His coaches there are Gerald and Susanne Depka.

Michael is applying for admission to the North Carolina School of Science and Math in Durham, North Carolina. As part of the admission process, he was required to write an essay about qualities which distinguished him from other students. His essay included this passage:

"I don't just use my need for knowledge for academics and mechanics. I also apply it to my athletics. As much as I enjoy playing tennis, I enjoy coaching it almost as much. I take lessons at the local courts, and then teach my father skills that I have acquired. My father and I use an online web site [tennisplayer.net] and slow motion footage to learn more about the mechanics of tennis swings. We try to use information from my coach and watching pros play to improve our own strokes. I love learning all I can about how certain muscle groups or the physics of topspin can affect a tennis stroke greatly."

>rom a father's point of view, $19/month is a small price to pay for this. Parenthetically, I should note that I have played tennis all my life and I have recently revamped my forehand -- changed grip; developed topspin -- with a few lessons and hours of studying the "Stroke Archive". While it is true that Michael "teaches [his] father skills", the old man still manages to take a set now and then.

-- Sean Devereux

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7682 users online. 3 members and 7679 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
X