Aggressive Margin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aggressive Margin

Great articles on the aggressive margin and the forced error, John. After reading, I did a little tinkering with numbers myself.

Basically, I used the match statistics available from the wimbledon website and worked out the number of forced errors in the Safin v Philipoussis match by simple subtraction of (Total points - winners - opponent's unforced errors). Then in turn I used this number to find the aggressive margin. This may not be an accurate assessment, but I figured it would be close enough to satisfy my curiousity...

Seems to me they must have been playing out of their heads. Safin worked out at an aggressive margin of 27/per set while Mark P. landed on 23/set.

I spent some time on the above mentioned website and got to grips with their live scoring and commentary feature (which is great btw). In their live commentary they use terms like "wins the point by a forced error from...". About time people start talking about more than winners and UEs... I also noted that the number of UEs recorded in the Safin - PPoussis match was very low.

They also have a feature called "shot track" or something like that, which is basically a plot of the ball trajectory for each point, kinda cool.

On a side note: I applied the same approach to the match statistics of Fed-Safin (AO Semi this year) and found that Feds Aggressive margin was 16/set and Safin at 15/set. Federer also won more points totally. Maybe one of those rare examples of the lesser player winning (I rooted for Safin btw), but I guess one would have to go deeper into the match to really determine that.

F.

Excellent analysis. You do see, as the numbers you found show, aggressive margins of between 10 and 25 and even higher a set. Makes sense the numbers would be higher on grasss, right?

I heard them talking about the shot tracker in the telecasts, and I'm planning to check it out.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8662 users online. 9 members and 8653 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
    X