More on the Federer Forehand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More on the Federer Forehand

I noticed in one of the many articles during the past week crowning Roger Federer as greatest ever, was an interesting quote from John Newcombe. He thought that Federer made contact with the ball further out in front than anyone else he'd ever seen. Newcombe felt that it was a sign that Federer was able to read his opponent's shots quicker and react faster. Comments I've read from others who also think they see this, speculate that it allows Federer to better leverage his oponent's pace and then use that pace to make his own shot more powerful.

Any thoughts?

I think Newk is somewhat right. Although there is some felxibility in the contact zone, it's a function of the stroke and the body position--stance, hitting arm, rotation, not some arbitrary decision by Roger (or anyone else) to hit the ball "more" in front. It is definitely true that when Roger uses the straight hitting arm on his forehand this happens, but he does that on only a percentage of balls. To me his contact points are technically correct--and similar to other players with the same stroke elements.

What player can effect is the timing. Taking the ball "earlier". This is different than "more in front." It means hitting the ball sooner after the bounce and closer to the court. Now that's something Roger does better than anyone.

On the reading thing who knows? Does he see it sooner or just react faster or just time it better? We'd have to penetrate his brain to know for sure.

Comment

Hitting on the Rise

Do you have advice on how to learn to hit on the rise (something Dick Gould also talks about as an important skill in his article). Are there drills one can do, specific adjustments in stroke mechanics, etc? Obviously there's a difference between properly hitting on the rise and simply rushing your shot.

Comment

If I may...

Hitting on the rise is pretty difficult. Often times, in trying to hit on the rise, I end up reaching for the ball. This throws off my balance and results in mis-hits that usually end up into the net. I think hitting on the rise requires very quick footwork. With regard to stance, I've found it easier to hit on the rise with a closed stance. I say this because when I hit on the rise, the ball just seems to be coming at me quicker, and so hitting from a closed stance allows me to stay on the ball and hit through and control the fast moving ball better.

I really like the distinction John makes between hitting out front and taking the ball early. For so long I thought taking the ball early was the same as hitting out front. What ended up happening is that I would straighten my arm and lose the lay back in my wrist, destroying my hitting arm position, in trying to reach out and hit the ball. The most important thing for hitting on the rise, in my humble opinion, is to keep the distance you have between yourself and the ball, the same as it would be for any shot, but to recognize that the ball will be lower in the strike zone. The ball will tend to be waist level or lower. Therefore, it's crucial to bend the legs. Bend front the legs, NOT the waist. Bad posture or leaning into the ball causes me to send the ball right into the bottom of the net.

Another tendency I have when hitting on the rise is to pull off the ball. For some reason, I feel like I really have to whip up the ball. However, increasing my swing speed and forcing this spin onto the ball is very counterproductive for me. A very useful mental image I have for hitting on the rise is to imagine a Pete Sampras half volley. To me, this is a useful image because hitting on the rise from the baseline seems similar to half volleying--it just takes place further away from the net! I basically just try to almost block the back by aligning my racquet behind the ball, coming under it slightly so as to hit a little top (but NOT exaggerated topspin), and to hit through the line of the shot as well as I can. My goal is to hit a well struck, well placed shot. Along with robbing time from my opponent, a clean ball to the corner is just as good as going for an unwarranted winner.

So for me, I need to:

1.) Split step, unit turn.
        2.) Align back foot behind ascending ball.
        3.) Step in with left foot to establish a square stance or slightly closed stance.
        4.) Establish contact at a comfortable distance away from my body.
        5.) Bend my knees to get down and hit the ascending ball.
        6.) Align racquet face behind and under the ball.
        7.) Hit through the line of the shot
        8.) Swing in balance

Watch how Federer does it:

How beautiful are those little adjustment steps? Notice the step, step, hit footwork pattern outlined by Mr. Michael Friedman?
        Last edited by lukman41985; 07-07-2005, 10:08 PM.

Comment

The best drill I've ever seen was developed by Rick Macci. Have your partner feed you slow, deep moon balls. Step in, catch them on the way up at waist height. You can do it on a ball machine too. Otherwise you'll never get enough reps to develop the timing on faster balls. Increase the speed from their and gradually flatten out the feed.

Comment

Fed forehand, taking the ball early

John, you wrote that Fed's conservative grip allows him to take the ball early. Are you suggesting that with extreme grips its impossible or tougher to do that? I'm not sure you are suggesting just that so I wanted to ask. Is there a grip structure breaking point (maybe past semi western?) where it becomes almost impossible to take the ball early and on the rise?

KP

Comment

It seems that way. Not that you don't sometimes see it happen. Agassi has a mild semi western and does it great. But with the extra rotation in the shoulders and especially hand and arm, it seems more difficult or at least uncommon for the more extreme grip players. Also has something to do with contact height--more extreme grips equal a higher comfortable contact--pluses and minuses!

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8361 users online. 3 members and 8358 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
              X