Modern FH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modern FH

I have been trying to get a grip on the modern forehand. I have a question about the finish. Heath Waters suggests that the palm be turned down at the finish. Brett Hobden suggests that the back of the hand be facing in towards the body at the finish. Could you discuss the ramifications of both techniques? The Hobden approach seems to be a safer approach for more consistent contact. Also, I am confused about the purpose of the Waters' approach. Why roll the racquet face over?

Thanks,
    Ralph

Funny you wrote in when you did, because I was literally working on Brett Hobden's article for the Sept issue.

I think the answer is that Brett is correct and so is Heath. And there are a lot of other correct answers too..

One of Brett's main points is that there isn't just one forehand. I pretty much agree. It depends on the situation. Yeah there's a basic drive which is what we all try to figure out and master first, but that's the start.

On our site I'd suggest you read thru the Modern Forehand articles in the Advanced Tennis section, particular the ones on differences and commonalities across the grip styles and the Federer articles.

The finish is going to depend on your grip and what you are trying to do with the ball. Too much can be made of the different "wraps" at the finish at the expense of some other key elements, but if you read thru those articles I think you'll understand how to put some of the seeming contradictions together.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7976 users online. 5 members and 7971 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
    X