Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stroke
    replied
    Tomic has a great slice also as a 2 hander. I saw it very well up close in Miami.

Leave a comment:

• neil123
    replied
    Originally posted by JDruck View Post
    Is it possible for a player to grow up learning both a two-handed drive and the one-handed slice? Can a player take on both and gain enough versatility to play in all parts of the court and enjoy the widest range of tools possible? Or will the focus on short-term results negate building a broader skill set?
    Of course it is possible! Indeed this is the configuration of most touring pros. I see nothing to indicate that learning a two handed drive impairs the ability to learn a great one handed slice. Murray currently has one of the best slice backhands in the game and a two handed drive, far better than the slice backhands of gasquet and warwinka.

Leave a comment:

• stotty
    replied
    Originally posted by JDruck View Post
    Is it possible for a player to grow up learning both a two-handed drive and the one-handed slice? Can a player take on both and gain enough versatility to play in all parts of the court and enjoy the widest range of tools possible? Or will the focus on short-term results negate building a broader skill set?
    Great question. This is something I've pondered frequently. I guess a question to answer your question would be, would a player have enough time during a career to learn a wider skill set as well as a player who uses a more limited skill set? Or could Federer have learned a two-handed backhand accomplished enough to stave off Nadal's forehand...an interesting thought.

My personal opinion is that the two-hander and one-hander are so different that players will inevitably develop a preference for one or the other...which ultimately puts a spanner in the works of ever being able to use both equally well. It probably would have been done by now if it were truly feasible.

Leave a comment:

• JDruck
    replied

Leave a comment:

• johnyandell
    replied
    OK what do you make of this? A drunk poster? Or?

Nadal and tobacco use 2 hander. Look at their rankings, u e wrong John, 2 hander rules.

Leave a comment:

• bottle
    replied
    Originally posted by lobndropshot View Post
    Same here... I love my one hander. I think hitting a clean winner down the line with my one hander is 2nd only to the ability to fly.
    Hear, Hear!

Leave a comment:

• GeoffWilliams
    replied
    Same here... I love my one hander. I think hitting a clean winner down the line with my one hander is 2nd only to the ability to fly.
    It is second only to the feeling of happiness you get from: you know what.

Leave a comment:

• klacr
    replied
    Beautiful! Putting this quote up on my refridgerator. I agree wholeheartedly.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Leave a comment:

• lobndropshot
    replied
    Originally posted by GeoffWilliams View Post
    When I have won 4.5 tournaments, it's been due to the opponents intention to attack my one hander, coupled with their inability to return my twist serve off their back hands! They stupidly continue to attack my strong side, even when I continue to punish them on most points. My fh is just a bluff, and often succeeds in fooling them into a stupid tactic.

Leave a comment:

• GeoffWilliams
    replied
    When I have won 4.5 tournaments, it's been due to the opponents intention to attack my one hander, coupled with their inability to return my twist serve off their back hands! They stupidly continue to attack my strong side, even when I continue to punish them on most points. My fh is just a bluff, and often succeeds in fooling them into a stupid tactic.

Leave a comment:

• stotty
    replied
    Here in the UK...

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
    Here is a very interesting one from Kerry Mitchell our contributor, who taught with me in SF for many years:

I'm in Florence Italy and there is a ITF junior event going on here. I watched parts of about 4 boys matches and there was not one court where at least one if not both players played with a one-handed backhand. At least internationally the one-hander is coming back in a strong way (thanks again to the likes of Fed and Wawrinka). The big difference I noticed is the grip position is more extreme similar to Henin's or Wawrinka. It allows these kids to come over the ball much easier when it is high. If fact, they seem more comfortable driving it than slicing even though all of them had descent slices. I believe the Americans are behind on this.
    Interesting post from Kerry.

Here in the UK I have just returned from a Grade 3 tournament near London...walked in the door about five minutes ago There were eight courts all in action at once with a boys U16 and U18 event. Every single court, at both ends, sported two-handed backhands. Perhaps more important was the coaching realisation that around a third of the boys would have been better suited to a one-handed backhand. It is very evident when players are NOT truly suited to the two-handed shot.

Leave a comment:

• johnyandell
    replied
    Here is a very interesting one from Kerry Mitchell our contributor, who taught with me in SF for many years:

I'm in Florence Italy and there is a ITF junior event going on here. I watched parts of about 4 boys matches and there was not one court where at least one if not both players played with a one-handed backhand. At least internationally the one-hander is coming back in a strong way (thanks again to the likes of Fed and Wawrinka). The big difference I noticed is the grip position is more extreme similar to Henin's or Wawrinka. It allows these kids to come over the ball much easier when it is high. If fact, they seem more comfortable driving it than slicing even though all of them had descent slices. I believe the Americans are behind on this.

Leave a comment:

• johnyandell
    replied
    Here is another from a long time subscriber:

Nadal"s fore hand is one of the most punishing and successful strokes ever witnessed on a tennis court. Because of his infinite success against Roger, many of the cognoscenti and generic players believe it should be expunged from the game. Nadal's fore hand has been most propitious against Roger because he can attack uncompromisingly. Nadal , of course, can achieve these results against many players.

He and Roger have competed so many times in critical matches that Roger's backhand against Nadal is easily exposed. Because of his success I don't believe it should be deleted from the game. Stan's backhand could be on of the top three in the history of tennis. It is a punishing stroke related to his overall strength in his body. He is very muscular thru his chest and legs and which permits him to over power the ball. The one hander is inferior returning serve. Players of course develop the two hander because they are not fully developed to hit one handers at a young age. To make the transition, they would sacrifice any success they may have had thru the early development of their careers. Pete Fischer should be lauded for recognizing he had a player who would ultimately be more successful with the one hander. I think the one hander would be very successful for certain players . I think a very athletic player would benefit. That decision would have to be made by the coach and the player. Do you think Henin would have benefitted with a two hander? I don't thin so. How about Steffi? Certain players are produced to play within their own styles and incorporating a one hander or a two hander is an asset for that particular player. The development of recreational players is another issue. The two hander is a much easier stroke to successfully develop . The one hander demands a much greater commitment of time to develop.

Tennis is a very , very difficult sport to play well because it has so many elements to it. The commitment to developing a very successful one hander demands many, many more hours to execute it very successfully/. Why do many players make the transition to golf ? When was the last time you heard of a golfer abandoning golf to play tennis? I have never, ever heard of a golfer abandoning his sport to participate in tennis. It never happens. Why? It is much more physically demanding. A friend of mine at IMG academy (you may know him, Chip Brooks) years ago said to the adult class "It is an open ended sport. There are just so many components required to produce a high quality tennis player that playing with two hands greatly facilitates the process.

Leon

Leave a comment:

• klacr
    replied
    Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
    John, some of these post are really good, can you entice these guys onto the forum? Tell them Stotty, don_budge and Klacr will be serving round the clock aperitifs and a warm welcome to all thought-provoking newcomers.
    Absolutely!!!

Great commentary from these members. Wish they shared all their thoughts on what we post. Great discussion.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Leave a comment:

• johnyandell
    replied
    Stotty couldn't agree more. I have extended invitations...

Leave a comment:

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2700 users online. 1 members and 2699 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
X