X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• curiosity
    replied
    Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
    The Mickey Mouse Club with Annette! Now there was a TV show. I know the words to the song.
    –now imagine Anette and the gang singing with a 757 taking off nearby. For that matter, imagine her in Beach Blanket Bingo...with an Airbus 350 climbing out overhead! Living or playing close to an airport is for the birds. Golfers learned that long ago.

If the USTA hadn't paid Pat McEnroe 900K/yr for a good while, they wouldn't need to buy land for $1.

Leave a comment:

• johnyandell
    replied
    The Mickey Mouse Club with Annette! Now there was a TV show. I know the words to the song.

Leave a comment:

• klacr
    replied
    curiosity,

I misread your initial post I guess.

But yes you are right, it is close to the airport and the noise can be an annoyance but after a while you get used to it. A long time friend of mine is a USTA national manager, he has been there for about 3 months and said it just becomes part of the environment. Again, for $1.00 how perfect of a location and multiple acres of land to host over 100 courts can you ask for? Yes, I said one dollar. It took one George Washington as part of a "charitable" donation for Tavistock group.

As for Disney, we both can admit our dislike for it, once is enough for many adults, but they do it for the kids. While the older kid(s) are training or playing an event in Lake Nona, the younger siblings can explore Mickey Mouse habitat. Corny I know. The USTA already has programs in place for visiting families, juniors and teams to spend time at The Disney amusement parks at a favorable rate.

As crazy or bad of an idea as you may believe it is, its working in drawing attention and keeping courts busy.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Leave a comment:

• curiosity
    replied
    Originally posted by klacr View Post

Orlando is not that close to either the gulf or the Atlantic Ocean. In fact, Orlando is in the middle of nowhere. Just farm land and cypress swamps surround it. The reason it is such a draw....a little thing called Disney. Orlando would not be there without it.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

I surely didn't make myself clear. All I meant about the Gulf and Ocean was this: At least the site doesn't favor travel to one or the other. You can park your boat on either coast. (I was desparately looking for a silver lining.) I suppose I've crossed FL via Lake Okeechobee by boat more than 15 times. Going to Disney World? Once was enough, and that just for my son long ago. At any rate, for an east coast person the USTA is 2 for 2 on airport noise.

Leave a comment:

• klacr
    replied
    Originally posted by curiosity View Post
    First the National Tennis Center, now the USTA Florida campus: Why do they keep parking our few major tennis/tournament centers so close, so very close, to busy major airports? I'm not even going to get to the humidity issue. On the other hand, yes, there is something nice about the winter/spring weather and a not-so-long drive to the ocean and gulf.... Am I the only one with the airport complaint?
    It's simply a coincidence for the US Open and Lake Nona Campus to be in such close proximity. I cannot speak or explain why the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center was put so close to LaGuardia but I do know in the case of the National Campus they received a sweetheart of a deal from Tavistock group, the development company that owned the land. A deal that they could not turn down.

Orlando is not that close to either the gulf or the Atlantic Ocean. In fact, Orlando is in the middle of nowhere. Just farm land and cypress swamps surround it. The reason it is such a draw....a little thing called Disney. Orlando would not be there without it.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Leave a comment:

• curiosity
    replied
    First the National Tennis Center, now the USTA Florida campus: Why do they keep parking our few major tennis/tournament centers so close, so very close, to busy major airports? I'm not even going to get to the humidity issue. On the other hand, yes, there is something nice about the winter/spring weather and a not-so-long drive to the ocean and gulf.... Am I the only one with the airport complaint?

Leave a comment:

• klacr
    replied
    I went to visit Lake Nona in August. The main administration building was complete and already had some staff working there. the rest of the campus was still under heavy construction but you could already get a sense of how big and how impressive it was going to be.

The facility will also have courts dedicated to college tennis, with stadium seating and will be home to numerous college matches for ITA tournaments as well as the home to the University of Central Florida teams.

The USPTA is also moving their headquarters to Lake Nona. Right across the street from the USTA Campus. A wise move for sure. They began construction 7 weeks ago and should be completed by May of this year. And the USPTA World Conference will be held in Orlando this year and will proudly take all attendees on a full tour of the USPTA headquarters as well as USTA National Campus

The USTA Florida section will also be moving to Orlando and away from their home office in Daytona Beach, with a building next door to the USPTA headquarters.

But its not just tennis happening in Lake Nona. This entire Sports and performance district, as this new area is being called will also house Major League Soccer team Orlando City, minor-league team Orlando City Band the club’s U.S. Soccer Development Academy teams.

Oh, and Lake Nona is also trying to gain the rights and purchase an ATP event, which one you ask? The Miami Open. The tournament is having some issues down in Crandon Park when it comes to upgrading the facility so Lake Nona is making a push and will commit to building a $200 million dollar tournament and stadium complex to host the event and keep a premier masters series event in the sunshine state. Big things are happening down here. Big Things.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Leave a comment:

• johnyandell
    started a topic A First Look at Lake Nona

A First Look at Lake Nona

Let's discuss Chris Lewit's article, "A First Look at Lake Nona"

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7922 users online. 3 members and 7919 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
X