X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• klacr
    replied
    Originally posted by privas View Post
    Very nice summary. 1. So, assuming I am gonna teach the classic grip to my kiddos, is it okay to emphasize achieving the straight hitting arm position typical of the more extreme grip? (Personally, I've had trouble achieving this position at the last second before contact.) 2. Also, it is reasonable to master both grips and styles, or should we emphasize sticking to one or the other? 3. Finally, Fed's recent dominance by taking it on the rise...is there a change of grip needed for this half-volley from the service line, or is it just a matter of timing and bending the knees? Thanks John.
    Good questions.

Often times when we force things to happen, especially as subtle and precise as timing the straightening of the hitting arm it does more harm than good. I feel that if the set-up is proper and the technical checkpoints are met before this moment of straightening then it should happen on its own. Trying to make things happen "at the last second" rarely goes well.

Listen to John on the grips. I concur.
    The Federer backhand improvement I feel is just a tactical and mentality change/commitment more than anything technical. Maybe I'm wrong. But I've seen Federer hit his backhand like this before for many years, just not at the frequency that he is doing it now.

Good luck on teaching the one-handed backhand to your students.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Leave a comment:

• johnyandell
    replied
    Privas,
    I would agree about the straight arm. In fact I teach that as the racket prep position at the bottom of the backswing and let the backswing develop naturally--it will. I say start with the mildest grip--Henman Hass which is a 2 / 1. You can always work toward the stronger. I don't think Fed is making a grip change.

Leave a comment:

• klacr
    replied
    Is there any other shot that is more aesthetically pleasing than a perfectly executed one-handed backhand?

Great video John.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Leave a comment:

• privas
    replied
    Very nice summary. 1. So, assuming I am gonna teach the classic grip to my kiddos, is it okay to emphasize achieving the straight hitting arm position typical of the more extreme grip? (Personally, I've had trouble achieving this position at the last second before contact.) 2. Also, it is reasonable to master both grips and styles, or should we emphasize sticking to one or the other? 3. Finally, Fed's recent dominance by taking it on the rise...is there a change of grip needed for this half-volley from the service line, or is it just a matter of timing and bending the knees? Thanks John.

Leave a comment:

• johnyandell
    started a topic Ultimate Fundamentals: The One Handed Backhand

Ultimate Fundamentals: The One Handed Backhand

Would love to hear your thoughts on "Ultimate Fundamentals: The One Handed Backhand"!

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7971 users online. 6 members and 7965 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
X