X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• don_budge
    replied
    Originally posted by saikir1247 View Post
    @don_budge, Do you want me to upload the videos over here? Or do you have an email ID to which you want me to email them. I am working one step at a time
    Yeah...why don't you upload them here and see what the contributors see. Normally there is a pretty good response and darn good results.

Leave a comment:

• saikir1247
    replied
    @don_budge, Do you want me to upload the videos over here? Or do you have an email ID to which you want me to email them. I am working one step at a time

Leave a comment:

• don_budge
    replied
    Originally posted by saikir1247 View Post
    Tennis is a game of feel and difficult to work online.

But no suggestions on. How to correct like mentioned here. I don't mean to be disrespectful but no point in telling me what I know but no suggestions on how to correct....

but something should be done done so that players aren't misguided. Unfortunately quality training is very expensive and not affordable especially for people like me who start late
    Tennis is a game of feel...this is true. For instance when the racquet starts to fall behind me...this is the sensation that tells my body that it is time to start the drive to the ball.

Unfortunately the videos in the article are not adequate for analysis by the coaches here on the forum. Not in any detail for that matter. We are left to guess at too many variables. You could rectify this problem if you were to submit a view from behind so that we might see the line of your backswing and your set up position. A bit of a side view would be suggested as well. We must see the complete arc of the toss and placement.

There have been some rather remarkable advice from the coaches here in a lot of different motions. It isn't so difficult to working online. In fact...it has it's advantages too.

Leave a comment:

• saikir1247
    replied
    Just to add I bend my knee but can't get any leg drive. I drag my right foot and stand up tall. I don't know what's wrong, it just doesn't happen. Any drills that could be worked on my own without equipment purchase?

Leave a comment:

• saikir1247
    replied
    All, thanks a lot for your comments. This was a great analysis by John, I wish either he was staying in Tampa or I stayed in SFO to take class. Tennis is a game of feel and difficult to work online. I would have seen a lot of results if I was just working with in Person. Unfortunately most of the coaches don't understand the terms or the article and would misguide me. For example till now I have l have always read that you need to snap and Pronate but not shoulder rotation. I took a closer look at my serve compared to Federer and realize the way I drop the racquet just makes it impossible for shoulder rotation. I changed that and I am easily rotating the shoulder and get pop in my serve without much effort. Of course I still need to work on the leg drive. One of the comments was I briefly pause after I drop the racquet and move to foward motion. Which is very true, don't know how to correct it. Some called my serve happening in two phases. Any ideas? I am open for suggestions and glad you can suggest any drills. I tried a coach for one or two sessions but didn't find it useful. They would say you hit ok for a recreational player blah blah and don't have leg drive. But no suggestions on. How to correct like mentioned here. I don't mean to be disrespectful but no point in telling me what I know but no suggestions on how to correct.... I am working one thing at a time any suggestions always welcome

but something should be done done so that players aren't misguided. Unfortunately quality training is very expensive and not affordable especially for people like me who start late

Leave a comment:

• don_budge
    replied
    The article is basically an interesting discussion about the "footwork" in the service motion which in of itself is worthy. A worthy place to start. I think that a good way...and the only way I teach footwork on the serve...is to have the student go forwards to the net. Serve and volley. Even in the beginning of their development. It has less to do with serve and volley per se than it does about the footwork in the service motion. All of the objectives that this fellow is seeking will be ironed out once the natural inclination of the body takes over when you start to move forwards with the motion.

I was wondering about that hesitation in his backswing at the top of his motion where it is most important to be fluid as the backswing transitions from the backswing to the forwards motion. When that racquet head is falling the legs need to be driving. It seems to inhibit his rotating his shoulders. Why? Why does he do that? Does he throw the ball so high that he must hesitate to wait for it to come down? Unfortunately the video doesn't include this vital piece of information but I suspect. Stately (this is supposed to be Stotty but spell check came up with Stately) mentions that his tossing hand stays high for an inordinate amount of time. We have a couple of clues.

All in all it looks like a pretty decent motion for a player of his experience and there is plenty of room for improvement with practice (potential).
    Last edited by don_budge; 04-08-2017, 04:52 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...

Leave a comment:

• stotty
    replied
    Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
    Stotty,
    Could be. My idea is that straightening out the stance, arm rotations, and rhythm was a lot. It might change the timing of the arm extension--or not--but not as high a priority in my view.
    Sure, you have to start somewhere and where you think it will make the most difference. It's a wonderful article and a lesson in itself for all of us. And it's terrific to have a dedicated student like Sai to work with. There is nothing like teaching a guy who has fallen in love with the game. It reminds us all of ourselves and why we fell in love with the game too. Tennis is the greatest game of them all.

Leave a comment:

• johnyandell
    replied
    Stotty,
    Could be. My idea is that straightening out the stance, arm rotations, and rhythm was a lot. It might change the timing of the arm extension--or not--but not as high a priority in my view.

Leave a comment:

• stotty
    replied
    In the first clip in the article showing Sai serving, doesn't he keep his tossing arm up slightly too long after the toss?

Leave a comment:

• johnyandell
    started a topic Your Strokes: Sai Serve

Your Strokes: Sai Serve

Would love to discuss "Your Strokes: Sai Serve"

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8829 users online. 3 members and 8826 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
X