On the Effectiveness of Different Tennis Coaches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On the Effectiveness of Different Tennis Coaches

We had a discussion here about Doug King. I already had experienced email exchanges with him and thought he was terrific and still do, but at least one other person, apparently, didn't. Interestingly, one can get Doug in this website at any time by going to the old TennisOne trove and putting in one's TennisPlayer password.

Any good coach or teacher of anything, it seems to me, will inevitably without trying be controversial, which means some will like him and others won't.

I was especially blown away however when, remembering all discussion here (every word), I was surfing tennis doubles possibilities and came to Brent Abel's "What's the best shot?"

Brent, a Southern boy, not only has a fun new bride who he includes with success in his videos, but sports an incredible record in age-specific national doubles. His direct and disarming manner makes him one of the truly most individuated voices in tennis.

Well, Brent tells about being a head coach in California and hiring Doug as his assistant. He then notices that Doug's students are progressing better than his own.

So he goes with Doug to Doug's own coach, Tom Stow (who once coached J. Donald Budge and Jim McLennan among others). At first Tom doesn't want to take Brent on.

It is an epic which I highly recommend.
    Last edited by bottle; 09-02-2017, 01:52 PM.

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8431 users online. 14 members and 8417 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
X