X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• johnyandell
    replied
    Doctor,
    You can get a preview by looking at my backhand volley articles in the Advanced Tennis section.

Norman,
    Check out that video Don Budge posted--great footage of Mac!

Tweaner,
    If you look at the article it tries to isolate the core fundamentals. Not about hitting "like" Fed necessarily--but mastering the foundational elements Fed and all good volleyers share. For further info check out the two classic lessons I posted with the new issue--two previous articles I did on the forehand volleys.

Don,
    Interesting isn't it?

Leave a comment:

• tennis_chiro
    replied
    We all know what a great volleyer McEnroe was (and still is), but I forgot how classic Lendl's volley form was. He would be an even better model than Johnny Mac for someone to copy volleying form. Notice how much he keeps the racket parallel to the net as he completes his volleys...and the way he prepares the racket head behind the ball for each volley. Excellent model!

don

Leave a comment:

• tweaner
    replied
    If you watch Fed, he seems to really drive through the fh volley. I find that with intermediate players that I teach - 4.0 to 4.5 level - when they start trying to drive the fh volley like Fed does, it adds almost too much swing to the actual volley and errors start creeping into their volley. Would you teach such a huge drive through the ball from the very beginning to students or would you add this huge drive through later once they develop proper feet and a proper contact point etc. Shorter volley swing path is easier to control for sure.

Leave a comment:

• don_budge
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ten1050
    replied
    Very good video on the forehand volley. I especially liked the statement that the step forward is not an integral component in powering the volley. Volleying is essentially the art of deflection. John McEnroe is a great example of a player who deflected shots at the net with supreme control and artistry. He had the ability to vary the tension in his hands to handle a myriad of shots from his opponents. Of course using Roger Federer as a model was a great choice. Roger deflects shots at the net beautifully.

Norman Ashbrooke

Leave a comment:

• doctorhl
    replied
    Excellent and concise breakdown of forehand volley. Learning this compact move gives one a little more time to anticipate the direction of the opponent's shot. The compact move should give one the confidence to understand that there will be time for a slight grip change for those using a continental grip when waiting. The movement also makes it much easier to learn the drop volley with those preparation mechanics in place. I am anxious for your backhand volley analysis. I try to mirror the forehand volley when hitting the backhand volley, but there must be sublte differences.

Leave a comment:

• johnyandell
    started a topic Ultimate Fundamentals: Forehand Volley

Ultimate Fundamentals: Forehand Volley

Would love to discuss my latest article, "Ultimate Fundamentals: Forehand Volley"

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7952 users online. 3 members and 7949 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
X