X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bottle
    replied
    Originally posted by teachestennis View Post
    Looks more like he just compromised between the two stances more than picking one. Also I was looking for some data to back up the opinions he stated, but it seemed he hasn't gone that far yet? I can see why he likes the platform better with less moving parts and easier to teach.
    But those aren't the only stated reasons Brian likes the platform better. It produces a better "cartwheel," right?

And maybe it's just me but I don't want to see statistics on this one. Brian has produced so many statistics on every other contribution to racket head speed. So does that mean he has to provide statistics for everything he ever says?

No, better sometimes just to be anecdotal. This stance with 4 to 8 inch separation is the compromise (you are right about that, teachestennis) he has seen work the best-- between well-produced cartwheel and most vertical thrust.

But wait a minute. Now I'm remembering Brian's more formal discussion of a student who had weak leg thrust and so he had him put his feet closer together. And the red stick figure in one of the articles who just didn't get things going with rear leg thrust but also bowed from the waist or better hips in the animation.

But I remember the discussion too in which Brian went after the term "jack-knife" for its bad connotation of pulling everything down.

I think it very ironic and a big part of life that when someone gives you a bunch of great answers related to any complex subject you then still are going to have to do a lot of figuring out on your own, probably even more than before the person said anything.

This is why I find myself getting so unintentionally irritated with persons who seem to want to confine all discussion of somebody like Brian to resume (rayzoomay) and other surface material.
    Last edited by bottle; 01-03-2019, 08:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• teachestennis
    replied
    Looks more like he just compromised between the two stances more than picking one. Also I was looking for some data to back up the opinions he stated, but it seemed he hasn't gone that far yet? I can see why he likes the platform better with less moving parts and easier to teach.

Leave a comment:

• bottle
    replied
    Four to Eight Inches Separation

I look forward to giving this provocative idea a bunch of spins.

I just got on my Concept II ergometer. Four and one half inches between the feet. Despite the difference in the angle and use of the feet (no difference between them in function in the full out double-barreled leg explosion of a rowing stroke), the amount of force generated is astronomical, far exceeding anything the back and arms can produce although all three muscle groups are trying their mightiest at the exact same time according to the late Harvard crew coach Harry Parker. (This from a personal one-on-one discussion with him at the intercollegiate championship race banquet in Cincinnati even though I rowed at Brown.)

When I was coaching at Skidmore College I had a rowing box set up in my office. To demonstrate the force available in the legs I let each little girl I was introducing to the sport throw my 200 pounds over her head. When I hit the floor behind her I would do a somersault to avoid being killed.

I'll now narrow the distance between the feet in my platform stance to somewhere within your specs for which I thank you and imagine I'll come in at around seven inches.
    Last edited by bottle; 01-03-2019, 10:27 AM.

Leave a comment:

• don_budge
    replied
    Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
    Let's discuss Brian Gordon's article, "The Serve: What is the Optimum Stance?"
    Amen Brother.

Leave a comment:

• johnyandell
    started a topic The Serve: What is the Optimum Stance?

The Serve: What is the Optimum Stance?

Let's discuss Brian Gordon's article, "The Serve: What is the Optimum Stance?"

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2661 users online. 1 members and 2660 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
X