Specific Strings for Specific Players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Specific Strings for Specific Players

Let's discuss A.J. Chabria's latest article, "Specific Strings for Specific Players!"

"As an aging 5.0, with no arm pain, I personally do not hit that hard anymore, and I do not need the incredible durability of a firm poly, but I use the hardest poly I can find as a cross, mated with gut mains." How about using synthetic gut on the mains, like Wilson? Would you notice a significant difference in performance or durability? This has been my choice because of affordability, with Luxilon Alu Rough on the cross.

Comment

Privas, nice choice. I like your set up, especially if you’re happy with the lower level of power from a synthetic gut compared to natural gut or a multifilament.
      I feel a simple synthetic gut main shines with a high powered frame.
      But it does lose tension more quickly than gut.

Sidenote: In my experience, surprisingly, the newer, more coated gut seems to last a bit longer because it slips better on the poly.

Comment

Dear ajchabria, I'd really appreciate your advice. For the last couple of years I've been playing with the RF85 re-release of the PS85 strung with full bed of VS Touch at 61lbs. However, I was starting to struggle with elbow and wrist pain, and since all I've heard for the last two years is 'you need to move to a bigger frame' I've switched to Six.One 95 18x20 frames which have a similar swingweight. I have two questions please. What stringing tension of VS Touch would be equivalent to my old 61lbs? And if I were to hybrid with VS Touch mains, what would you recommend for crosses and at what tension? I have some Tecnifibre x1 biphase 17g and was wondering if that might work. I'm a bit concerned that the tension loss in a multifilament or supermulti won't match the characteristics of the gut. I string my own racquets with a Wise 2086 constant pull tension head. I don't generally break strings, and am a fairly flat hitter by current standards. Thanks!

PS I usually pre-stretch the gut 10%. Would it be helpful to pre-stretch the multi (if it were used as a cross) to mitigate tension loss?
        Last edited by glacierguy; 05-14-2021, 12:40 PM.

Comment

In the certain knowledge that no one is even slightly interested, I thought an update was in order. I have strung Mains: VS Touch 1.3mm at 58lbs 10% pre-stretch, Crosses: Isospeed Cream 1.28mm at 55lbs no pre-stretch (already factory-stretched). Babolat string savers in a Federer-like pattern. It's difficult to find a compromise between having the gut tight enough and the poly not too tight.

I can already report that volleying with what seems to me like a massive snowshoe is very easy.

Comment

It’s been quite a while since the last post here but I have been experimenting with a combo that some might find interesting or could comment on. I use a pre-stretched Ashaway Monogut ZX 16 main with RPM Blast cross, both at 55 Lb. this mimics a pure gut/poly combo and has lasted well over 6 mo and still very playable. I am a senior 3.5 5x/wk doubles player. I also have the same frame strung in reverse with poly mains but I think the Monogut mains feel a little better to me. Any comments or thoughts ?

Comment

Glacierguy, sorry for the delay, just now seeing this.
              i think going up a few lbs was a good call.
              your gut, iso combination is great.
              i use gut mains on the tight side and looser poly crosses. Took a bit of time to adjust to the varied tensions, but it works well, and I don’t prestretch anymore.

a2Bruno, i like the control, spin and feel of ashaway monogut on its own. As a main with a round poly cross, it works well. Not as powerful as a gut main but, really good feel and spin.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8080 users online. 5 members and 8075 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
              X