X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jrlaible
    replied
    Originally posted by BrianGordon View Post
    J - that is a very interesting perspective - never thought about it that way. A more coherent presentation of my thoughts regarding the genesis of the situation :
    https://tennisperformanceresearch.co...male-athletes/
    I'm working on it, it's much easier to build from zero. I use a lot of shadow swings and hand feeds while introducing movement as soon as possible. It's funny that introducing movement into the drilling makes them less reliant on the lower body.

If the players already have the huge swings, my best success has come with Spanish racquet speed drills which force them to cut down the swing in order to do the drill and I perpetually speed it up. I also do the control of depth drills.

Focusing on ball rotation early, and the shapes of the shots has helped prevent the kids from getting enamored with the power of slapping the ball, which is to me the death sentence in today's game.

Please keep up the good work. There are more of us out here fighting the fight.

J

Leave a comment:

• seano
    replied
    Brian -

In the first forehand video series, you mentioned Sarah had a wrist flexion movement in her forward swing. From the present video featuring Sarah, it seems to have disappeared. What was the secret to getting rid of it?

SeanO

Leave a comment:

• BrianGordon
    replied
    J - that is a very interesting perspective - never thought about it that way. A more coherent presentation of my thoughts regarding the genesis of the situation :

Leave a comment:

• J011yroger
    replied
    I agree 100%. I think the coaching industry has done a disservice to girls, not only on the forehand, but serves, volleys, and slices too.

Today's top level 16 year old girls are very impressive, with much more of an all court game, though it's only half the battle.

I think that coaches consolidate girls' games at a younger age since they mature faster, and so their college game is a steadier version of their 13-14 year old game, while boys continue to develop their game until 18.

J

Leave a comment:

• johnyandell
    started a topic Women's Tennis and the ATP Forehand

Women's Tennis and the ATP Forehand

Let's discuss Dr. Brian Gordon's article, "Women's Tennis and the ATP Forehand"

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8316 users online. 8 members and 8308 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
X