Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The forehand volley as I see it!

Hi,

I was lucky enough to stumble on a friend (tennis teacher) who spent his life learning and teaching the game, not coaching. Having been a teacher myself for the past 39 years, I would like to share his knowledge of the volley. What inspired me to write you is reading Rick Macci’s article on the volley where his says keep the racket at eye level on low volleys.

The forehand volley – The most misunderstood shot in the game of tennis. What do the following sports have in common.

Topspin forehand

Baseball

Golf

Hockey

Basketball

Firearms

All of these sports require a support system naturally built into the body. What I am referring to is the angle of the wrist to the forearm. To find this angle, bring your hand up to eye level and aim your index finger like a gun. Notice the slight curve at the lower part of the wrist to the arm. Another way to see this angle is to pick up a glass of water. Look for the inverted V at the lower part of the wrist. Now, maintain this angle and place a tennis racket in your hand with a western grip. Keep the same angle in the wrist and change the grip to a continental. In both situations, the support system is making contact with the ball.

There is no better example than John McEnroe. Watch how his racket stays around his waist for forehands and volleys. In both shots, the elbow moves in an upward motion. Never high to low!

Enough for now.

Thanks for reading,

Bob Ecuyer

USPTA #685

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7877 users online. 4 members and 7873 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
X