Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• johnyandell
    replied
    Good question...what does our archive footage show? Sometimes his elbow is slightly bent...not sure on what shots?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    What about hitting Angles with a Type 3 forehand? It seems roger actively tucks in his elbow a bit to be More Bent on that Shots.

Leave a comment:

• arturohernandez
    replied
    Originally posted by doctorhl View Post

I agree on the concept of “ out front” contact to get a straighter elbow. However, in experimenting with learning a positional preparation for a Type III, straighter arm contact, my perceived spacing for an “out front” contact point seems to change depending on whether I am in a neutral, semi-open or open stance. My 1 hand bh, straight arm, “ out front” perceived contact point doesnt seem to change as much as the FH because my bh stances are just neutral or closed. I guess the 10,000 hour rule fixes all that, but at my age, I need a 200 hour rule.
    I also wonder about the pat the dog effect on the ATP III forehand. It is raining cats and dogs at the moment in SE Texas so no tennis for a few days. But I will try to get out after the rain to see what a pat the dog to contact might do to the forehand.

The other thing I was thinking about was to try a reverse forehand because that does involve a more independent component relative to the other forehands.

Could we think of the ATP III as a form of reverse but with a finish across the body rather than on the side?

Just wondering.

Leave a comment:

• doctorhl
    replied
    Originally posted by arturohernandez View Post

Hi Brian and Norman, I have been thinking of this in light of my daughter's forehand which is more like the classic than the Type III forehand. One thought was too encourage her to hit it out in front more. This would in principle have the effect of straightening out the elbow. As noted in another thread, straightening out the elbow is exactly the way we hit a one handed backhand. And my daughter who hits a 1hbh, says she has to start swinging before the ball gets there so that she can get it out in front.

Couldn't we just apply this logic to the forehand and she would straighten her arm out at contact since it is more in front?

Just a question about making this practical for her rather than technical.
    I agree on the concept of “ out front” contact to get a straighter elbow. However, in experimenting with learning a positional preparation for a Type III, straighter arm contact, my perceived spacing for an “out front” contact point seems to change depending on whether I am in a neutral, semi-open or open stance. My 1 hand bh, straight arm, “ out front” perceived contact point doesnt seem to change as much as the FH because my bh stances are just neutral or closed. I guess the 10,000 hour rule fixes all that, but at my age, I need a 200 hour rule.

Leave a comment:

• BrianGordon
    replied
    Hi arturohernandez - yes, focusing on a more forward contact will straighten the arm. On the other hand nothing wrong with the atp classical.

Leave a comment:

• arturohernandez
    replied
    Originally posted by BrianGordon View Post
    Hi Norman - Thanks for the input. I believe the straight arm is easier on the elbow (compared to bent elbow) by decreasing the ulnar side stress during the flip to roll mechanism and by redistributing the forces at contact from shearing to compression. Glad the change helped your elbow and your forehand. BG
    Hi Brian and Norman, I have been thinking of this in light of my daughter's forehand which is more like the classic than the Type III forehand. One thought was too encourage her to hit it out in front more. This would in principle have the effect of straightening out the elbow. As noted in another thread, straightening out the elbow is exactly the way we hit a one handed backhand. And my daughter who hits a 1hbh, says she has to start swinging before the ball gets there so that she can get it out in front.

Couldn't we just apply this logic to the forehand and she would straighten her arm out at contact since it is more in front?

Just a question about making this practical for her rather than technical.

Leave a comment:

• BrianGordon
    replied
    Hi Norman - Thanks for the input. I believe the straight arm is easier on the elbow (compared to bent elbow) by decreasing the ulnar side stress during the flip to roll mechanism and by redistributing the forces at contact from shearing to compression. Glad the change helped your elbow and your forehand. BG

Leave a comment:

• ten1050
    replied
    Hello Brian,
    The straight arm seems easier on the elbow. When I had problems with my elbow, my doctor recommended hitting with a straighter arm. At first I thought that can’t be right. However, once I starting hitting with a straighter arm my elbow healed and my forehand improved!

Norman Ashbrooke

Leave a comment:

• johnyandell
    started a topic Understanding Professional Forehands: Part 1

Understanding Professional Forehands: Part 1

Let's discuss Dr. Brian Gordon's article, "Understanding Professional Forehands: Part 1"

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8094 users online. 6 members and 8088 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
X