• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• arturohernandez
    replied
    Originally posted by don_budge View Post

You are most welcome Sir!

Interesting comment. Here is a memory from my past when I was coincidentally the same age as little Antony. Eight years old. I was in St. Louis, Missouri going to the second grade there. My father was working on his Master's Degree at Washington University there if my memory serves me correctly. We lived in an apartment complex called Audobon Park. We lived on Canary street. I remember that there was a local YMCA there and what a tremendous place that was for an eight year old. I remember in the nine months that I was there I learned how to swim, there was a class on the trampoline, I learned Greco-Roman wrestling and would you believe it...FENCING! Touche. Don't places like this exist anymore?

I was thinking that the schools provided opportunities for kids to pursue multiple sports. At my high school you could participate in a competitive sport in fall, winter and spring. Another idea I had for this young fellow was to have another sport to pursue in a somewhat serious/competitive manner. Perhaps make a goal of playing on the varsity basketball team when he is of that age. Start by going to a basketball camp. I was more serious about basketball when I was younger. When I started playing tennis it really improved my quickness and my stock went up very quickly as a basketball player. If I had a son I think that I would go to great lengths to enable him to participate in sports as well as other activities. Music being another. I would have wanted the most well rounded individual possible. If greatness just so happened to come along with the deal...so be it. But well rounded is a good way to go through life. Balance being the key to happiness.
    People are hyper focused on specialization at an early age. Many prodigies it turns out where doing a lot of different things until they decided to focus on one thing. Worst case scenario someone ends up being a balanced individual.

Leave a comment:

• don_budge
    replied
    Originally posted by antony View Post
    Thank you very much Don for your insightful and expert advice. It is much appreciated!
    You are most welcome Sir!

Originally posted by arturohernandez View Post
    Just to add my 2 cents. I think sometimes we as parents don't have the time or energy to invest in multiple sports. So we dedicate ourselves to teaching them tennis. If this is the case, I think there is good reason to take it slow and make sure that even if it just tennis, it be done with a lot of variety. What is commonly done is to drill students incessantly and get them to hit the same ball over and over again. Even if we train in tennis we can mix our training and teach them unconventionally even in a single sport.
    Interesting comment. Here is a memory from my past when I was coincidentally the same age as little Antony. Eight years old. I was in St. Louis, Missouri going to the second grade there. My father was working on his Master's Degree at Washington University there if my memory serves me correctly. We lived in an apartment complex called Audobon Park. We lived on Canary street. I remember that there was a local YMCA there and what a tremendous place that was for an eight year old. I remember in the nine months that I was there I learned how to swim, there was a class on the trampoline, I learned Greco-Roman wrestling and would you believe it...FENCING! Touche. Don't places like this exist anymore?

I was thinking that the schools provided opportunities for kids to pursue multiple sports. At my high school you could participate in a competitive sport in fall, winter and spring. Another idea I had for this young fellow was to have another sport to pursue in a somewhat serious/competitive manner. Perhaps make a goal of playing on the varsity basketball team when he is of that age. Start by going to a basketball camp. I was more serious about basketball when I was younger. When I started playing tennis it really improved my quickness and my stock went up very quickly as a basketball player. If I had a son I think that I would go to great lengths to enable him to participate in sports as well as other activities. Music being another. I would have wanted the most well rounded individual possible. If greatness just so happened to come along with the deal...so be it. But well rounded is a good way to go through life. Balance being the key to happiness.
    Last edited by don_budge; 05-22-2021, 03:50 AM.

Leave a comment:

• arturohernandez
    replied
    Originally posted by antony View Post
    Thank you very much Don for your insightful and expert advice. It is much appreciated!
    Just to add my 2 cents. I think sometimes we as parents don't have the time or energy to invest in multiple sports. So we dedicate ourselves to teaching them tennis. If this is the case, I think there is good reason to take it slow and make sure that even if it just tennis, it be done with a lot of variety. What is commonly done is to drill students incessantly and get them to hit the same ball over and over again. Even if we train in tennis we can mix our training and teach them unconventionally even in a single sport.

Ideally, they would play lots of different sports. But if they cannot, have them do exercises as if they were playing sports. This could involve having them play ball games where they have to chase, throw and catch balls. You could have them hit all the different strokes in every practice.

The tennis court can become a place in which creativity and variety are cultivated.

It might not be as ideal but it should definitely let them learn things they will not learn with repetitive practice.

One example from another sport is Julian Edelman, a football player, that was overlooked for many years and then became a star for the New England Patriots.

His father trained him very unconventionally. And then he turned into a player that was never pampered and was able to play pro football.

His story is on Showtime and is an example of exactly what Don is talking about.

Leave a comment:

• antony
    replied

I would like to thank you for posting the video of your son. I just want to clarify my comments a bit. First of all, I think it is wonderful that a boy of his age has taken an interest in tennis. Unfortunately, I think it is too early to take tennis too seriously at his age. There are exceptions and I mentioned my experience with one of the most prodigious tennis juniors of all time. He was THE exception. There hasn't been another like him to my knowledge. Pancho Segura was saying that Aaron could be the next Björn Borg and that was back in 1980 when Borg was at the height of the game. Aaron had this unbelievable knack for anything athletic and what made it more incredible is he didn't really look like a great athlete.

The rest of us mortals acquire our skill sets from different activities. I played several sports with various degrees of seriousness and it was tennis that I chose to play competitively in the end. I never touched a racquet until I was fourteen but I had loads of game experience from other sports. So to put your son on a faster track in the arena of athletics I stand by what I wrote with regard to looking at a bigger picture in his development. "Develop the athlete...parallel to the tennis player." We have on the forum a man who is a professional hockey scout and he has a daughter who he started training to be a tennis player at a young age. He has done this by a somewhat "unconventional" route which I am a believer in. He has focused more on creating the athlete than the tennis player in her younger years, knowing he can install the "software" of tennis when the time comes appropriately.

If you take a child and train them to be a professional tennis player at an early age they are going to be stuck in the same thing that tennis is stuck in now. The "junior syndrome". When taught to play at such a young age with limited athletic skills, many times it creates a situation where there is limited potential for growth because of the learning curve of the game. It is a very complex game and it is much more complicated than the junior game. The professional game looks like the junior game. Aaron Krickstein actually never did progress much beyond the junior game himself. In my opinion, he did not reach the full potential of his tennis. He achieved tremendous success as a junior and he took a route that many of the players in his day. He actually enjoyed tremendous success as a professional but I will always wonder what he might have done. What if?

Basketball is a game that has great complimentary skill sets with tennis. The concepts of offence and defence for one thing. The movement is forwards and backwards as well as side to side. You learn to be a tough nosed competitor for another thing. Baseball is another game that has some transitional elements with the sport of tennis. Why not play sports on a seasonal basis for a couple, few years?

Thanks again for posting and I wish both you and your son the best of luck in the future.

Leave a comment:

• doctorhl
    replied
    DB and tenniscoach1 are right. Development of the tennis player without development of body movement and strength through multi sport training can be a mistake. My personal perspective is different, but I suspect it may be the experience of others. Fifty years of tennis with emphasis on skill development at the expense of athletic training, especially post collegiate amateur tournament play through age 65 was plagued with injuries that diminished success and now are severely affecting my quality of life today.....never built or maintained a base!!

Leave a comment:

• tenniscoach1
    replied

I would like to thank you for posting the video of your son. I just want to clarify my comments a bit. First of all, I think it is wonderful that a boy of his age has taken an interest in tennis. Unfortunately, I think it is too early to take tennis too seriously at his age. There are exceptions and I mentioned my experience with one of the most prodigious tennis juniors of all time. He was THE exception. There hasn't been another like him to my knowledge. Pancho Segura was saying that Aaron could be the next Björn Borg and that was back in 1980 when Borg was at the height of the game. Aaron had this unbelievable knack for anything athletic and what made it more incredible is he didn't really look like a great athlete.

The rest of us mortals acquire our skill sets from different activities. I played several sports with various degrees of seriousness and it was tennis that I chose to play competitively in the end. I never touched a racquet until I was fourteen but I had loads of game experience from other sports. So to put your son on a faster track in the arena of athletics I stand by what I wrote with regard to looking at a bigger picture in his development. "Develop the athlete...parallel to the tennis player." We have on the forum a man who is a professional hockey scout and he has a daughter who he started training to be a tennis player at a young age. He has done this by a somewhat "unconventional" route which I am a believer in. He has focused more on creating the athlete than the tennis player in her younger years, knowing he can install the "software" of tennis when the time comes appropriately.

If you take a child and train them to be a professional tennis player at an early age they are going to be stuck in the same thing that tennis is stuck in now. The "junior syndrome". When taught to play at such a young age with limited athletic skills, many times it creates a situation where there is limited potential for growth because of the learning curve of the game. It is a very complex game and it is much more complicated than the junior game. The professional game looks like the junior game. Aaron Krickstein actually never did progress much beyond the junior game himself. In my opinion, he did not reach the full potential of his tennis. He achieved tremendous success as a junior and he took a route that many of the players in his day. He actually enjoyed tremendous success as a professional but I will always wonder what he might have done. What if?

Basketball is a game that has great complimentary skill sets with tennis. The concepts of offence and defence for one thing. The movement is forwards and backwards as well as side to side. You learn to be a tough nosed competitor for another thing. Baseball is another game that has some transitional elements with the sport of tennis. Why not play sports on a seasonal basis for a couple, few years?

Thanks again for posting and I wish both you and your son the best of luck in the future.
    I think everyone should read 10x what Don Budge has to say.

Leave a comment:

• tenniscoach1
    replied
    Originally posted by jeffreycounts View Post

Well if I paid a coach to help my son's forehand, I think I'd want my money back with that advice. Not exactly helping Anthony in the sport he has chosen to pursue. But I'm assuming your post was mostly humorous.
    I think you need to think a lot more about what he is really saying ...

Leave a comment:

• johnyandell
    replied
    I agree on developing the athlete. Soccer and basketball!

Leave a comment:

• don_budge
    replied
    It's funny video. With the shades and the backwards baseball cap one could relegate it to "America's Funniest Home Videos". It is interesting at the same time. One might just take it a bit too seriously. Just because he is hitting some of the points often associated with the "modern forehand". At this point, it most certainly must be considered "all hat and no cattle", as tennis_chiro once said. The first keys are as John points out in the athleticism or rather the lack of it. It looks rote...rehearsed.

Put him through the hockeyscout curriculum of training the athlete for the future. Give him a year of seasoning in that respect. Lots of running and jumping and playing with balls. Develop the athlete...parallel to the tennis player. Anything said about Anthony at this point is inconclusive. What will matter is the path going forwards. I really don't approve of the footwork at all. He must be taught to step to the ball before all of the modern mumbo jumbo. Open stance...semi-open. The transfer of weight is the single most important facet of anything in sports. He must step to the ball before all of the twisting...and shouting.

I would prescribe lots of basketball, soccer, skating and skiing. Balance. Nimble movement. Footwork. Then get your ass in position. He is standing straight up instead of being down in a nice athletic position. Don't tell him I said so. He's a little kid. Guide him and teach him to play. It will make a man of him. It is a great submission. An interesting video...possibly to take more seriously in the future. Maybe when he is fourteen and as mean as a cat.

Leave a comment:

• antony
    replied
    Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
    Glad it has been positive! Keep us posted. Let me know if you guys end up seeing Kerry.
    Will do. Thank you John.

Leave a comment:

• johnyandell
    replied
    Glad it has been positive! Keep us posted. Let me know if you guys end up seeing Kerry.

Leave a comment:

• antony
    replied
    As Anthony's father, I have read all the insightful comments here and reviewed them with Anthony. My heartfelt thanks to everyone of you. I am so grateful for what John has done for us. The article John masterfully crafted was so insightful and helpful for me as a parent and also a huge deal for Anthony as a 10 year old. I just cannot thank John enough. I feel so lucky to get connected to this great tennis community. I have learned so much from all of you. Thank you all again.

Leave a comment:

• macbeth
    replied
    BTA

So impressed with the work he put into learn his own stroke. That should encouraged. Orange or green dot ball a good thought. This was a very enjoyable discussion Thank you

Leave a comment:

• topspinster22
    replied
    Maybe others have commented, but what about the right elbow going up and the tip of the racket pointing forward on the backswing> Would rather see both arms go out straight parallel to the baseline with the racket head vertical. That would make for a more efficient backswing and help the racket drop earlier, which he is going to need to do when the balls start coming at him faster. It would also help him be able to handle high bouncing balls around his chest. His contact point is very good - out in front and he keeps the arm loose and lets the racket fly across on the follow through which I like.

Leave a comment:

• jeffreycounts
    replied
    Originally posted by arturohernandez View Post

Isn't that the argument for using softer balls with kids? It is better for them to hit the soft at waste height to develop good technique at a young age. As they get older they will then adapt the technique and still hit at waist level.

Clay courts are also thought to slow the ball and give kids more time to hit the ball. Rather than trying to ping-pong it like they do on hard courts. Or just moon ball and then move back all the time to hit it.
    Really good points I hadn't thought of. I can certainly see how clay would be better for kids development - not only for slowing the ball, but also for lowering the height of the ball on contact. I really like the softer balls for kids, and definitely it has to do with lowering the height of the ball.

Leave a comment:

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8499 users online. 2 members and 8497 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
X