Miami Open, ATP 1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miami Open, ATP 1000

The ATP Tour heads from California to Miami for the Miami Open. We have a full tournament preview and best bets for the Masters 1000 draw.

Alcaraz the oddsmakers favorite to win the tournament, no surprise.

Comment

JJ swerve Wolf has a nice win over mercurial Bublik.

Comment

Fritz and Morgan both looking very good in his first match here.

Comment

Alcaraz wins the first set 6-0 without dropping a single point on his serve. Bagnis is a little overawed one feels and very much out of his depth.
          Stotty

Comment

Interesting take by Daniel. Not sure how to interpret, but another good win. As for Zverev, we're increasingly seeing top players struggle to return from injury. Watched Thiem self-destruct, long after losing a year to a wrist injury.

ATP:
            Taro Daniel continued his hot early-season form and snuffed out Alexander Zverev’s recent revival when he stunned the former World No. 2 6-0, 6-4

“In the first set he was struggling and I just didn’t want to let him get his rhythm back,” Daniel said. “Sometimes it’s a matter of letting them keep playing badly. It’s a little bit of a dirty fight.”
            World No. 97 Taro Daniel snuffs out Alexander Zverev's recent revival to charge into the Miami third round.

“Sometimes you don’t know why things turn around and you have success. You keep rolling and it just happens. My plan is to keep accumulating more and more of these wins more consistently."

Comment

Scheduling can be strange.

Doubles partners Rybakina and Badosa meet early in both Indian Wells and now Miami.

Pegula v Collins could be good.

Comment

That is a very meek loss by Zverev.

Comment

McKenzie McDonald just takes out Berrettini in 2 tiebreakers. A very good match. Berrettini really dug in and just was not good enough. McDonald deserved the win.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
                    McKenzie McDonald just takes out Berrettini in 2 tiebreakers. A very good match. Berrettini really dug in and just was not good enough. McDonald deserved the win.
                    stroke, I haven't seen Berrettini play yet this year, but since late last year he's done poorly & apparently had a string of injuries

Had a foot injury, and speculated about his career. Right hand surgery before that. Retired in Mexico open more recently with a calf injury.

How did Matteo look?

Searching, here's a recent article
                    Italy's Matteo Berrettini believes that he can win a Grand Slam and is targeting a return to the top ten in 2023.

Excerpt:

His season enjoyed some incredible highs, but also cruel injury and illness blows.

However, the former top-ten man is confident that he can find his best form and put his injury troubles behind him.

“Last year, before the hand surgery I was at my best ranking. I was six in the world. I know that it is my level and I know I can get back there. Why not even better?”

After an injury-blighted season last time out, Berrettini is approaching the game in a cautious fashion, but he still has lofty goals.

Comment

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post

stroke, I haven't seen Berrettini play yet this year, but since late last year he's done poorly & apparently had a string of injuries

Had a foot injury, and speculated about his career. Right hand surgery before that. Retired in Mexico open more recently with a calf injury.

How did Matteo look?

Searching, here's a recent article
                      Italy's Matteo Berrettini believes that he can win a Grand Slam and is targeting a return to the top ten in 2023.

Excerpt:

His season enjoyed some incredible highs, but also cruel injury and illness blows.

However, the former top-ten man is confident that he can find his best form and put his injury troubles behind him.

“Last year, before the hand surgery I was at my best ranking. I was six in the world. I know that it is my level and I know I can get back there. Why not even better?”

After an injury-blighted season last time out, Berrettini is approaching the game in a cautious fashion, but he still has lofty goals.
                      To me, he is very similar to Sock. Huge top 8 forehand, great serve, very average backhand, not built for the inevitable battle of attrition ATP tour.

Comment

A good first set in the Hurkacz versus Kokkinakis match, with Kokkinakis just shaving it after facing 3 sets points. I haven't seen Kokkinakis play much before.
                        Stotty

Comment

Cameron Norrie falls flat on his face in his first match against the number 65 ranked player in the world...the great Gregoire Barrere. Who? stroke will tell you that the ATP tour is loaded with depth in the draw sheet but this Miami Open is abysmally boring. I've watched just a tad here and there. It is being televised on EUROSPORT. I didn't see the Brit...but he might just have reached the limits of his staying power for the time being. He lost to Francis Tiafoe at Indian Wells in the quarters...which isn't the end of the world. But as the number 12 ranked player in the world you want to push the envelope in terms of consistent performance. With this lost he has sort of slipped a notch and with the clay court season approaching...well we'll see. The dreaded expectations.

I did watch a bit of Christopher Eubanks yesterday. He played Borna "Born Again" Coric and Borna had him on a string the first set. I turned it off. Eubanks looked a bit like a fish out of water against rock solid Coric. But it looked like Eubanks was trying to force the issue towards the net at the end of the first set. I sort of wish I had the stamina to stay tuned...but it was off to walking the wolf. Eubanks hits a big, big serve. Critically I would skewer him...because as good as his serve might appear to be it really could be much, much better. I thought to myself that I wish I could help him iron it out. I believe he has the big old pin point with the matching sky high toss. If I get a chance I am going to take a peak at him against the conquerer of Norrie. He's a big guy. He had difficulty getting his feet under him as he played most of the first set from the back court against the smaller and more agile Coric. A tall fellow like Christopher has no business playing that sort of "war of attrition" type of tennis. He needs to get to the net consistently behind well placed serves and conclude things there. He beat Denis Kudla in the first round who generally speaking is a rock solid player from the backcourt. I am very curious as to what Eubanks will have for attitude and an approach to this match against Barrere. Moving into the round of sixteen in Miami would be a huge milestone for him. One can safely say that the whole business will be riding on his serve. Interesting backhand as well. Hmmm...
                          don_budge
                          Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

I have talked to Eubanks a few times when he was playing at Georgia Tech. He is a truly good guy. I am certainly pulling for him. He does a a great serve and huge forehand. He is a true 6'7". His backhand gives away too many errors, his slice backhand is not that good, and he is not comfortable volleying. He does not have good hands. But he stays in the match, does not give up on himself and go away.

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
                              A good first set in the Hurkacz versus Kokkinakis match, with Kokkinakis just shaving it after facing 3 sets points. I haven't seen Kokkinakis play much before.
                              I recall watching TK3 beat Fed in Miami years back. At the time, the highest topspin on tour came from a trio - Rafa, Sock, TK3. Thought he might make a mark in ATP but had a (back or shoulder?) and never truly came back. Appeared to have bulked up substantially during his recovery & never seemed as agile again -- perhaps.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2643 users online. 11 members and 2632 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X