Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tim Gray Serve Help

Hey Guys,

If you were working with Tim Gray on his serve what do you think he could improve?

Originally posted by bowt View Post
    Hey Guys,

If you were working with Tim Gray on his serve what do you think he could improve?
    Have you got a couple of hours? First impression is that there is a huge amount of potential in this fellow. A tall man and rather flexible. Precisely a good reason to lose that big old pinpoint stance. Wow...what a lot of moving parts. Big parts. What can go wrong? Answer: Plenty. Correct me if I am wrong. I see inconsistency written on this motion. To be honest...I don't like it one little bit. A waste of potential.

First off...start with the stance and the function of stance is twofold...aiming and proper position to initiate the backswing. With this amount of potential as a coach I am looking to develop a motion that is reliable and repeatable under all conditions. I want to see an emphasis on placement. I want to see a motion that can produce placement. He looks as if he can deliver velocity as it is. I am quite certain that there is potential in that category as well. Secondly...I want to see the ability to spin the ball in a variety of ways. Ahh...then we need a look at the second serve. What the heck does he do with that?
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

It looks a lot like the Kyrgios serve to me. That is a compliment.

Comment

Nice motion. Certainly some really good things going on there. Can we have a side view? And maybe serving 10 balls one after the other in real time? I like slomo clips (they are certainly very useful in coaching) but I find I can better sense of someone's serve and their rhythm by seeing it at normal speed.

He holds the ball very low down near his palm. I like players to sit the ball higher up nearer the tips of the fingers so they can release their toss perfectly. But, then again, if he has an accurate ball toss it isn't necessarily too significant.
        Stotty

Comment

Hey Guys,

Did this evolve from this?

don_budge
          Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Hey Guys,

Cursory look at serve would suggest modification of swing prep or higher ball toss.

Would like to see a number of rear view clips of this serve and frame by frame advance to visually compare amount of elbow extension/ulnar deviation variances at ball contact. Such a long swing prep with wrist droop requires perfect timing and a small variance in toss characteristics. Then, duplicate the video and visual comparison process with other types of serves in this rear view. The amount of variance in the arm/wrist variance and toss variance would help determine the location and amount of intervention needed( if any). Considering the player's age and level of successful serve motor memory, any modifications usually require player visual "buy in" for real commitment to change before proceeding.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3022 users online. 11 members and 3011 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
            X