Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is 'Bash' the 'Biggest Hitter in Tennis"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is 'Bash' the 'Biggest Hitter in Tennis"?

Jim Courier described Nikoloz Basilashvili, subject of this month's Tour Portrait on Tennis Player. Net as "The hardest hitter in tennis" back when I shot these photos at an Indian Wells final based on the average velocity of his groundstrokes. Please click here to see the album
    https://www.tennisplayer.net/members..._basilashvili/

Courier, "Basilashvili averages 80 mph off both sides, the highest on tour. His forehand speed is the best by a narrow margin but the backhand speed is the best by a lot."

Part of that is his power, but another is that "Bash" simply redlines more than most top ATP players. He reached 16 in the world.
    His forehand has a lot of rotation, and he "muscles" it a lot, as you can see in my composite photo, the first of 3 images here.

filedata/fetch?id=100286&d=1680722097&type=thumb
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    Last edited by jimlosaltos; 04-05-2023, 11:32 AM.

Bash's backhand is quite a contrast to that of Cam Norrie, featured on TPN last month, low-to-high, big swing with body weight and lead shoulder going into the ball. Next ... some stats

filedata/fetch?id=100288&d=1680722234&type=thumb
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    Last edited by jimlosaltos; 04-05-2023, 11:20 AM.

Comment

This Hawkeye/ Infosys Courtvision image shows a baseline shot at 162 km/h or 100 mph, and 3,223 RPMs (presumably a cross court forehand, although it was not labeled here. How the ATP presents this data varies from tournament to tournament, here labeling shots as "Winners").

BasilNorFinal162_3223r_IW21.jpg

Comment

Sounds like he's a new version of Fernando Gonzalez, the original basher. These stills are gorgeous. Love the three side by side of his wiper forehand.

Comment

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
          Sounds like he's a new version of Fernando Gonzalez, the original basher. These stills are gorgeous. Love the three side by side of his wiper forehand.
          Thanks! Yes, I miss Gonzo - also the first to use Luxilon, if I remember correctly

Comment

Bash is very interesting, just hits out all the time. The only 2 players to me that seem close to hitting the ball that hard off both sides are Sinner and Karatsev.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2594 users online. 12 members and 2582 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
            X