Clear All

Odds to win tournament::

Alcaraz +100
    Tsitsipas +900
    Medvedev +1200
    Zverev, Rune +1400
    Rublev +2800

Comment

Medvedev loses 1st set in tiebreaker to the focused(today) power game of Karatsev. Karatsev really pushing Med around out there. Med complains loudly to tournament supervisor after the set about not being on the Stadium Court, because the court he is on dies not have quite as much room to move around when he is way way behind the baseline retrieving.

Comment

Karatsev looks the way better player pummeling Med in 2 sets. He is a beast out there, somehow now at a 121 ranking.

Comment

Alcaraz pretty much took away all hope in dominating Zverev for 2 sets. He certainly looked like the favorite for RG, which he is.

Comment

Well, the draw has certainly opened up for Alcaraz -- not that he needs any help the way he is rolling.

Remaining men's matches:

Alcaraz vs Karen Khachanov
            Altmaier vs Coric
            Struff vs Tsitsipas or Miralles (on court as I type)
            Zhang (who beat Fritz) vs Karatsev

As if any evidence was needed that Madrid's altitude favors big hitters, Khachanov, Struff, Karatsev in clay Masters 1k quarters.

Comment

Struff puts it all together and takes out Tsitsipas in 3. Tsitsipas had his same issues in his loss, backhand service return issues and giving up too much court trying to run around and hit forehand. His backhand is just too much of a liability in his losses, it is certainly not on the level of Gasquet and Wawrinka.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
                Struff puts it all together and takes out Tsitsipas in 3. Tsitsipas had his same issues in his loss, backhand service return issues and giving up too much court trying to run around and hit forehand. His backhand is just too much of a liability in his losses, it is certainly not on the level of Gasquet and Wawrinka.
                Few backhands are <g> but you're right.

I was working and missed, but the stat line shows Tsitsipas was only 1 of 10 on break points, while Struff got only 1 solitary breaker in the whole match and converted.

Odd event. Two "Lucky Losers" and a qualifier in the quarterfinals, now a Lucky vs Q in the semifinals. The Lucky is serving up to 141 MPH and the Q hugs the baseline and cracks returns. Had to double check. Is Madrid still on clay ? Ok by me to see some offense.

Comment

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post

Few backhands are <g> but you're right.

I was working and missed, but the stat line shows Tsitsipas was only 1 of 10 on break points, while Struff got only 1 solitary breaker in the whole match and converted.

Odd event. Two "Lucky Losers" and a qualifier in the quarterfinals, now a Lucky vs Q in the semifinals. The Lucky is serving up to 141 MPH and the Q hugs the baseline and cracks returns. Had to double check. Is Madrid still on clay ? Ok by me to see some offense.
                  Clay court tennis is changing it seems to me, no longer primarily a battle of attrition. Shotmaking now a significant element it seems.

Comment

Clay court tennis is changing it seems to me, no longer primarily a battle of attrition. Shotmaking now a significant element it seems.
                    Good point. Or at least I was thinking the same thing watching sporadic matches through this clay court cycle. Loads of matches where big-serve to big-forehand dominated.

Madrid, of course, is an outlier. Replacing clay with Roland Garros crushed brick exacerbates the effective of high altitude, I suspect.

Comment

This is some big boy tennis, Struff vs Karatsev. Karatsev has to be one of the physically strongest players on tour, and Stuff also. Struff is a big unit, reminds me physically of Safin, just a big strong guy.

Comment

Big Struff gets through, first LL ever to advance to an ATP Masters 1000 final. What depth in ATP tennis to me. Struff has very good technique on all shots. To me, his technique is certainly way better than his results/ranking would infur. Karatsev also for that matter. Certainly no drop shots, no dr. feel good going on with those 2. I expect the Alcaraz drop shots off both sides will be a significant difference maker in the final.
                        Last edited by stroke; 05-05-2023, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Too late perhaps to start its own thread, so I'll post results from the Madrid women's title here.

In latest clash of the women's top 2 ranked players, Arnya Sabalenka tops Iga Swiatek 6-3, 3-6, 6-3 in a tough, high quality match. And, ahem, Saby had some clutch serving to close it out -- hitch, negligible ISR and all.

That puts their H2H at 3-5 in favor of Iga.

Comment

Alcaraz with an implied probability of 94+% of winning vs Struff.

Comment

Alcaraz with an implied probability of 94+% of winning vs Struff.
                              Sounds low

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7996 users online. 6 members and 7990 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X