Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raducanu Has 3 Surgeries

Telegraph va Yahoo
    "Emma Raducanu is having surgery on both hands and one ankle which will rule her out of Wimbledon while casting doubt on the rest of her 2023 season.

"While Raducanu had previously spoken about her wrists in a way that implied tendinitis, it now seems that she is suffering from carpal bosses. These are bony growths on the back of the wrist, which would not be a problem for an ordinary citizen, but which can cause inflammation when combined with repetitive actions such as swinging rackets or golf clubs."​
    Emma Raducanu is having surgery on both hands and one ankle which will rule her out of Wimbledon while casting doubt on the rest of her 2023 season.

filedata/fetch?id=100620&d=1683135495&type=thumb
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

It could turn out to be a good thing. She has been injured non-stop since her US Open sensation victory. It might be an opportunity for a decent fitness trainer to get her body in better condition to withstand the rigours of the tour. When you think how little Novak and Roger have been injured over the course of their long careers, the huge amount of off-court work they put in must have played a significant role in that. Strength and conditioning has to be the way to go for Emma.
    Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
      It could turn out to be a good thing. She has been injured non-stop since her US Open sensation victory. It might be an opportunity for a decent fitness trainer to get her body in better condition to withstand the rigours of the tour. When you think how little Novak and Roger have been injured over the course of their long careers, the huge amount of off-court work they put in must have played a significant role in that. Strength and conditioning has to be the way to go for Emma.
      Yup. There's also the possible issue of bursting on the scene too early. She won USO at 18 years old much like Bianca Andreescu, who won at 19 yo (whose path to the title was perhaps more impressive), then played a lot -- and played with injuries, perhaps to cash in -- and hasn't been able to stay healthy since.

Playing today's tour before a teen's body has developed seems risky.

Comment

Grip strength and ankle strength - overlooked. If you got bad grip strength you will get injured. And there isn’t very much that you can do to train somebody to have a great grip strength. You’re born with that. I had a real high-level fighter that was an international champion in Russia, number one in the country, and he had very weak grip strength. We did pretty much everything we could including towels around barbells, towels on the chin up, bigger grips, stick wrestling, etc etc … it helped … however, with a poor grip strength his ability to absorb punching pressure and hit hard consistently was a little limited. There was really no way we could take him to the next level because there was just way too much wear and tear and vibrations due to his lack of grip strength. Weak things break and when you have poor grip strength your ligaments and bones feel it and take the brunt. Big George Forman had crushing grip strength and so did Ali, if you want to know what players potential just look at the level of strength they have in their ankle in their grip. The golfer Moe Norman had the strongest grip strength that was ever tested in an athlete in Canada by a famed hockey doctor Lloyd Percival. Tested a 19-year-old Gordie Howe before he was a superstar and said that he would break every record of Maurice Richard. You also require sequential motor pattern in the fingers … and if you can rate of force speed turnover from the first finger to the fourth finger you will have a lot of durability because you need to from relaxed to squeeze quickly … if they are super slow twitch then they’ll have issues with ligaments etc etc. I had one MMA fighting coach who was awarded number one in the sport of samba that I once coached And he asked me what the number one and two things that made an athlete successful and I said number one an ankle that is the ultimate suspension system like a super powered car, and pure raw and credible grip strength. Generally a kid with one and two will have a lot of passion for the sport because it feels good for him, and you’ll be able to make a lot of progressions as a coach because he has the durability to put in the reps required to be good and be enthusiastic about the sport because it feels good. Usually if they have a great grip strength to they have that magical rotator cuff which helps a lot.

Comment

I just don't think grip strength is a factor with Emma. In fact I would argue she is about as far away for a pro tennis player technique wise from the gold standard of technique, not over stressing the body, Fed, that one can get. Her issues are probably from overgripping, as it is with most non world class players.

Comment

Originally posted by tenniscoach1 View Post
            Grip strength and ankle strength - overlooked. If you got bad grip strength you will get injured. And there isn’t very much that you can do to train somebody to have a great grip strength. You’re born with that. I had a real high-level fighter that was an international champion in Russia, number one in the country, and he had very weak grip strength. We did pretty much everything we could including towels around barbells, towels on the chin up, bigger grips, stick wrestling, etc etc … it helped … however, with a poor grip strength his ability to absorb punching pressure and hit hard consistently was a little limited. There was really no way we could take him to the next level because there was just way too much wear and tear and vibrations due to his lack of grip strength. Weak things break and when you have poor grip strength your ligaments and bones feel it and take the brunt. Big George Forman had crushing grip strength and so did Ali, if you want to know what players potential just look at the level of strength they have in their ankle in their grip. The golfer Moe Norman had the strongest grip strength that was ever tested in an athlete in Canada by a famed hockey doctor Lloyd Percival. Tested a 19-year-old Gordie Howe before he was a superstar and said that he would break every record of Maurice Richard. You also require sequential motor pattern in the fingers … and if you can rate of force speed turnover from the first finger to the fourth finger you will have a lot of durability because you need to from relaxed to squeeze quickly … if they are super slow twitch then they’ll have issues with ligaments etc etc. I had one MMA fighting coach who was awarded number one in the sport of samba that I once coached And he asked me what the number one and two things that made an athlete successful and I said number one an ankle that is the ultimate suspension system like a super powered car, and pure raw and credible grip strength. Generally a kid with one and two will have a lot of passion for the sport because it feels good for him, and you’ll be able to make a lot of progressions as a coach because he has the durability to put in the reps required to be good and be enthusiastic about the sport because it feels good. Usually if they have a great grip strength to they have that magical rotator cuff which helps a lot.
            Something about hand strength and forearm strength. Rod Laver's 7 inch left wrist was one inch bigger than right wrist. His 12 inch forearm was 1 1/2 inches bigger than his right. Images of pro forearms. https://jimfawcette.typepad.com/fnet...rm-stupid.html

Comment

That’s a great post. You can really tell everything about an athlete by shaking his hand.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8579 users online. 7 members and 8572 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
              X