Rome aka the Internazionali BNL d’Italia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rome aka the Internazionali BNL d’Italia

Draw pic (is it ok to start this, don't want to step on anyone's toes, just looking so sharing)

Again, Alcaraz regains world number one ranking simply by showing up for his first match because Djokovic can at best defend 1,000 points and even then will fall behind.

Good quarters if draw pans out.

filedata/fetch?id=100691&d=1683586590&type=thumb
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

It is all set for the Italian Open Men's final, where Holger Rune will take on Daniil Medvedev. The Danish player needed three sets to go past Casper Ruud for

Comment

Nice to see Wawrinka through.

Sir Andy on court vs Fogs in battle of old dudes as I type, fresh from his first title since 2019, I think, at Aix-en-Provence Sunday. Andy looked happy as a teenager winning a challenger. Have to envy him his continued love of playing after what he's been through.

Carlos Alcaraz has a bye, awaiting winner of Vinolas v Passaro. As I understand it, Alcaraz will return to number one in the world if he shows up for the match, gets through the coin toss, falls on his face and passes out. That would get him enough points to pass Djokovic, who is defending 1,000 pts here and can do no matter than stand still while Alcaraz goes by.

Two very good players returning from wrist injuries are in the draw -- Jannik Sinner and Seb Korda. Both have beaten Alcaraz and both are in Novak's half, along with Holger Rune (Rune-AH).

Might see another Alcaraz-Tsitsipas semi.

Comment

Fabio and Murray going to a 3rd set. Fabio certainly looks like the better tennis player, if he decides he is interested enough to get it done.

Comment

Early in the 3rd set, for the match, Fabio with 27 forehand winners vs 9 for Murray. His forehand is just so much better than Murray's. His drop shot also.

Comment

Well, Fabio was interested in the 3rd set. What a great game he has technique wise. The only player that has underachieved more than him is the GOAT of underachieving, Nick.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
              Well, Fabio was interested in the 3rd set. What a great game he has technique wise. The only player that has underachieved more than him is the GOAT of underachieving, Nick.
              Well he got the job done against Murray. He's a bit of a prima donna but gets 10 out of 10 for supplying talented tennis entertainment. I usually watch him every year at Wimbledon. His matches are always good and nearly always involve some kind of drama. His nickname back home in Italy is Fogna, which means sewer in Italian. Very apt when you hear the language he occasionally comes out with.
              Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post

Well he got the job done against Murray. He's a bit of a prima donna but gets 10 out of 10 for supplying talented tennis entertainment. I usually watch him every year at Wimbledon. His matches are always good and nearly always involve some kind of drama. His nickname back home in Italy is Fogna, which means sewer in Italian. Very apt when you hear the language he occasionally comes out with.
                That being said, he is a massive underachiver. The opposite of say a Ferrer, not that it matters by today's standards.
                Last edited by stroke; 05-10-2023, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post

That being said, he is a massive underachiver. The opposite of say a Ferrer, not that it matters by today's standards.
                  I don't think he cares. He's a spoilt rich kid born with a silver spoon in his mouth. A bit like that other talented waste of space....whose name was Rios something or other.
                  Stotty

Comment

I don't think he cares. He's a spoilt rich kid born with a silver spoon in his mouth. A bit like that other talented waste of space....whose name was Rios something or other.
                    Agreed

Comment

Marcelo Rios, perhaps?

Great touch.

Comment

Well, Alcaraz managed to not get lost on his way to his first round match, which was all he had to do to return to number one in the world. First mission accomplished. Also won over Ramos-V.

Seb Korda, coming back from wrist injury that ended his good run in Australia did not look sharp. Since Delpo and Thiem any wrist has me scared.

FAA looked like a fish out of water on clay, sadly.

Bublik was a character as usual -- standing in no-man's land to return Ben Shelton's big serve, then "ghost returning" from so deep the camera lost him. Worked.

Comment

The match of the day, Fognini vs Rune. The Italian crowd adores Fognini, and he is playing well, vs the not crowd favorite Rune. Very interesting.

Comment

Very impressive by Rune. The crowd was as badly behaved as one would expect there vs Fognini, who of course loves that kind of thing going on. Rune just ignored it all a put him away.

Comment

Qualifier Marozsan takes 1st set vs Alcaraz, looking very comfortable in doing so. Very interesting.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2771 users online. 9 members and 2762 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X