Boxed Groundstrokes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxed Groundstrokes

Here is a video I found online recently. Numerous coaches at performance centres over here in the UK advocate teaching 'boxed' groundstrokes. Thoughts anyone? I always think getting the elbows away from the torso is a good thing with junior players as so many tend to have their elbows a little too wedged in.

Stotty

I like the concept as it stabilizes the upper body in preparation to intiate the foreward movement with the core muscles first. That left arm is important for box stabilization on both the forehand and the one handed backhand. As a result, the elbow is moved away from the torso.

Comment

Novak is certainly a great example of this box concept. Certainly not Medvedev.

Comment

Torture to watch couldn't make it all the way thru, but yeah ok... Stroke think you are right about Medvedev...

Comment

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
          Torture to watch couldn't make it all the way thru, but yeah ok...
          Yes they can be hard work to get through these YouTube coaching videos. Most are too long and could be clipped down by two thirds at least.

Overall, though, the concept is a good one I feel.

Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post

Yes they can be hard work to get through these YouTube coaching videos. Most are too long and could be clipped down by two thirds at least.

Overall, though, the concept is a good one I feel.
            Totally agree. One strength of many of the posters on this site is the ability to say more with less....an art form possessed by the better coaches/teachers.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorhl View Post

Totally agree. One strength of many of the posters on this site is the ability to say more with less....an art form possessed by the better coaches/teachers.
              True. Simple is best. It's fatal to talk coaching jargon with students. As BG alluded to in a few of his videos. Knowing is one thing but applying what you know is what coaching is all about.
              Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 9204 users online. 3 members and 9201 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
              X