LIV Golf ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LIV Golf ...

Now that the LIV and PGA is merging ... what is next for the WTA - ATP? Saudi investors - finally ready to make a move? Interesting things happening behind the scenes?

Originally posted by tenniscoach1 View Post
    Now that the LIV and PGA is merging ... what is next for the WTA - ATP? Saudi investors - finally ready to make a move? Interesting things happening behind the scenes?
    Fascinating development in the world of golf. In the world for that matter. Even as it relates to tennis...within a degree or two of separation. I wonder if the forum will include a stipulation of allowed topics...within a certain number of degrees of separation. Even the other day at the golf club I was asked by the golf pro about the French Open. After bringing him up to date about how the event is one of the most boring ever in the world of sports we started talking about the cyclical nature of popularity of the respective sports. I would have to say that tennis is hitting an all time low. I asked him where he thought golf was in the balance and he mentioned that the separation of LIV and the PGA tours would have to be resolved.

Then you and I were having this discussion about power and you introduced the Machiavellian knock off author and I countered with the book..."What Would Machiavelli Do?". So it goes. The connections one can make if they have an open mind. This merger certainly was about power and power brokers. The players certainly got hostile with one another once the cards were on the table. Greg Norman is a very interesting fellow and he must have played his hand in perfect fashion. He was married to Chris Evert...lest we stray too far from our golden sport of tennis here.

But your question about the respective tennis tours is an interesting question. Even the ATP taken by itself. A merger between the men and women tours might be interesting on paper. Even though the women's tour is even duller than the men's. There has been some ideas floating around about how to actually grow the sport. The appeal has always had a more or less limited audience. Upper crust you know. It will be interesting how the PGA will accommodate the new upstart tour moving forwards.
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Lol - it seems the princes had the PGA by the balls.

Comment

For those interested in the rise and fall of individual racket sports, pickleball is an interesting case study. It's easy introduction for the novice, participatory and middle class roots and birth in a marketing and technological age will contribute to a meteoric rise. Tennis certainly was birthed in a different era and environment, but has managed to historically sustain itself, with tradition playing a substantial part( as has Golf pre-LIV).Pickleball, if allowed to develop without a tradition, will likely follow a similar path to that of bowling in the United States.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3792 users online. 4 members and 3788 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
        X