In Defense of "Lazy Tennis Coaches"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Defense of "Lazy Tennis Coaches"

Good Twitter thread IMHO. Andy Roddick Sascha Bajin, Wayne Ferreira (sourced).

Roddick: "I’m always amazed at the frequency of seeing people who didn’t work that hard in their playing days becoming coaches. Seems like effort is the one thing that would be a prerequisite for coaching ……. Would be hard to hire someone who had a reputation as kinda lazy"

Sascha: "For me it was so hard to be disciplined towards myself and I wasn’t that competitive as a player, that’s why I never achieved anything. It’s easier to say no to a party knowing I don’t want to disappoint my player with a bad warm up, rather then warming up for my own match."

Roddick: "Hard to imagine you as undisciplined."

FedFan quotes Wayne Ferrera, now Tiafoe's coach via USOpen,org: ""I think I helped him because I played and I went through the issues of being relatively talented and being lazy,"

Roddick: "This is actually a great counter. Wayne has done such a good job w Foe. Only difference is that Wayne speaks from a place of having figured it out at some point ….. he has a base for comparison. Someone who started lazy and finished lazy doesn’t have that same attribute. They’ve just always been lazy"

Being a lazy coach probably doesn't work in a performance setting, although I did bump into a coach working with a tour player some years ago who was 'physically' lazy. He wasn't lazy in his head though and had excellent insight...saw things others didn't.
    Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2275 users online. 5 members and 2270 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
    X