Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federer Interview

Wide ranging interview with Roger Federer by Simon Graff

Excerpts: "About his interest in tennis: ?What surprises me is how interested I am in the results. I don't watch many matches, but the highlights interest me enormously. I check the scores three or four times a day. I'm glad that tennis still interests me so much.? (7/10)

Is Novak the GOAT? ?What is better? Winning Wimbledon at 17 like Becker or Paris at 36 like Novak? I don't know. What he has achieved is absolutely gigantic. It could be sufficient. But I think as long as Rafa is still playing, too, you can't answer that definitively yet.?

What he enjoyed most doing after his career: ?Skiing was a big thing for me. The last time I skied was in 2008, after which I got mono. The following year, the children were born. They had never seen me ski. It was a dream for me to go on the slopes with them.?

About his health: ?If the body was in top shape, I would probably play a few exhibitions. I still go to the gym four or five times a week and try to get my body back into shape with my knee. That's why I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything.?

Does he still play tennis? ?Only with the children. I've never booked a court with friends and said, "Come on, let's go train now." But I'm often on the court with the children. I love playing with them.?

Swiss Tagesanzeiger
    Am Turnier in Halle spricht Roger Federer über die Vorzüge seines neuen Lebens und darüber, wieso er nicht mehr auf dem Platz stehen möchte und warum er Novak Djokovic nicht als den Grössten bezeichnet.

It hasn't been that long since Federer retired. The tournaments and the level of interest in them, aren't the same.

Comment

Originally posted by seano View Post
      It hasn't been that long since Federer retired. The tournaments and the level of interest in them, aren't the same.
      Agreed. TV commentators are trying to say it ain't so ..... but it is palpable.

Comment

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post

Agreed. TV commentators are trying to say it ain't so ..... but it is palpable.
        He is missed no doubt, but from the ATP crowds I have seen, the ATP is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post

He is missed no doubt, but from the ATP crowds I have seen, the ATP is fine.
          True. Attendance at Wimbledon was full last year without Roger and will be again this year. Tennis goes on and stops for no man...or woman come to that.
          Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by seano View Post
            Very true seano. Even true before he was "retired". When he wasn't in the draw it wasn't a tournament. Tennis may go on. But it goes on in a dumbed down manner. Just look at those people in the stands. So clueless. I wouldn't go to the end of my driveway to watch any of this. Boring...boring...boring. Absolutely zero in terms of style. Originality. Class. Big Time Wrestling...as I predicted in so many posts. When Roger was in the house...it was a different house. The air has been sucked out of the balloon. Tennis metaphoring life. The transformation is complete...FAKE tennis. The grass at Wimbledon will never be the same...but the wear patterns will be. All wear on the baseline. Grass court play had traditionally been a forwards proposition. Now it is side to side. The footing can be hazardous. But still boring. Tennis goes on...like a drone. A monotone. A monotonous, endless and mindnumbing backcourt game. Anybody worth watching for five sets?
            don_budge
            Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post

True. Attendance at Wimbledon was full last year without Roger and will be again this year. Tennis goes on and stops for no man...or woman come to that.
              Economists are calling the rush to fill seats at live events after the pandemic "revenge spending". It's true for tourist travel by Americans to Europe, for Taylor Swift concerts globally, for the US Open, Indian Wells. Swedish economists are even blaming a Beyonce' concert for suddenly high inflation numbers. <g>

A friend is traveling this week from California to either Copenhagen or Gothenburg to see Bruce Springsteen. Turns out the lack of scalping protection laws in the US makes the lower price of European Springsteen tickets almost enough to cover her airfare. { Seriously. I can't make this up. }.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...20the%20scales.

Comment

via Tennis Majors: Ivan Ljubicic says Federer would likely still be playing today if it was not for his knee issues, as his drive never dipped.

Ivan also says that Roger would have probably been a Top 5 player today, just through his sheer ‘genius’

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2714 users online. 7 members and 2707 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                X