No announcement yet.

Alcaraz story on his development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Again Kiko paused before repeating that he had nothing bad to say. He just stressed that by the time Ferrero took over, Carlos was already a finished product.
    I have heard many coaches who work in the trenches say much the same about their former students. Maybe they weren't working with players as stratospheric as Carlitos but nonetheless they have worked with players who reached tour level. Often such coaches feel miffed because it was they who laid down the foundations so important to a tour player's success - no foundations, no player, is their argument - and they are probably right.

Something that often goes unrecognised about the ''player's final outcome'' is that it is mostly in the hands of the player how good they will eventually become. Maybe 80% or more is down to the player, since the player brings so much to the table the coach has zero control of: height, natural athletic ability and, most importantly, tennis ability, etc. Many former greats had little or no coaching yet still became outstanding players.

Any coach or anyone who has ever had anything to do with working with a significant player wants to claim their stake, be it the development coach, the performance coach, or the tour coach. Even the player gets confused over who contributed what and whether it made any difference. Many tour players are so schooled in politeness they simply credit everyone.

One thing is for sure, you won’t see coaches scrambling to take credit for Arthur and Martha a the local club in the same way as they will seek it for their best junior. Ego exists on all levels of coaching.​

That said, the other 10 or 20% - or whatever the figure is - contributed by the coach can be a critical 10 or 20%. It's the foundational coach, not the tour coach, who sees technical impasses in young players and rectifies them. The tour coach is mere window dressing in some cases but can also make a decisive difference in other cases.

A some players become really good players despite questionable coaching (Brooksby). The value of the coach and quantifying the contribution (or damage) coaches make is a hugely complex subject and well worth studying.

I have coached for many years and coached many good level players during their early formative years. Many are now in their 30's and 40's and when I ask those I still see what they remember of their lessons with me it alway surprises me what they remember and what they say helped them most. Often their interpretations and mine are entirely different.
    Last edited by stotty; 06-27-2023, 02:21 AM.
    Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post

when I ask those I still see what they remember of their lessons with me it alway surprises me what they remember and what they say helped them most. Often their interpretations and mine are entirely different.
      Fascinating. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Very good overview of the subtleties in tennis coaching and its contribution to player success!

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3251 users online. 6 members and 3245 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
        X