The Roger Federer Forehand...Golf on the Run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Roger Federer Forehand...Golf on the Run

I came across a very interesting golf video that I took to the range today. Rather interesting results from my point of view. Being an ex-tennis instructor it piqued my curiosity as to how this related to the forehand stroke. Here is the video in question:

There are two simultaneous cues here as to how to initiate the golf swing. I couldn't help but notice how this also appeared to apply to the forehand stroke. I took a look at Roger's forehand and found that it fit. As the shoulder comes up the left foot is pressing down into the ground...driving into the front leg up as well. Right arm sweeping through.

https://www.tennisplayer.net/members/strokearchive/pro_men/roger_federer_09/index.html?dir=rf_forehand/RF_FH_center&stroke=RFFHCenterNeutralStanceFront.m p4&new=

Anybody currently coaching or teaching might want to give this some thought...food for thought. Cue the left shoulder.
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Cue the left shoulder. Yep, goes along with the importance of the left arm in the swing.

Comment

DB -

I'm not a golfer but curious of your thoughts on this device. He's my sons instructor.

Sean

Comment

Originally posted by seano View Post
        DB -

I'm not a golfer but curious of your thoughts on this device. He's my sons instructor.

Sean
        I'm not much for gizmo's seano as you would probably guess. This one is no exception. Although the premise and design probably have some merit...for a given individual. Essentially he is talking about the very same thing the golf video I posted is trying to accomplish. Interesting to watch the PGA Professional demonstrate the device. I cued in on his left shoulder and sure enough...he got that right. Show your son the video...worth it's weight in gold. That being because of the results I experienced on the range this morning. I suppose that is inconclusive, but I was really impressed. Hitting into a solid wall of wind my ball was holding its line.

Not a golfer? You are a prime candidate with your understanding of biomechanics. Golf is a biomechanic expert's paradise. I always say that I learned more about teaching tennis from playing and teaching golf than I did from playing tennis. Tennis is golf on the run.
        don_budge

Comment

DB -

I realized I chose the wrong sport to coach when I went to my then teenage sons winter golf lesson at Congressional and his pro gave the lesson sitting on a stool with his laptop solving all his swing problems. Here I am running my ass off till exhaustion, 40 hours a week on the tennis court. I guess I'm not the brightest ))

Sean

Comment

Originally posted by doctorhl View Post
            Cue the left shoulder. Yep, goes along with the importance of the left arm in the swing.
            "The noblest pleasure is the pleasure of understanding".

LEONARDO DA VINCI

Imagine this. A student having difficulty getting the body parts in synch. I have in the past attached the player's left index finger and thumb on the bottom of the right hand on the racquet. It's a two hand forehand. Now the left side of the body is totally engaged with the swing. You are forced to move the body in the manner it needs to move. If you focus on initiating the forwards swing with the shoulder move in the golf video the weight of the left side is planted squarely in the left foot.

Looking at Roger Federer hitting that beautiful forehand in the tennisplayer.net video it is clear that this is exactly what he is doing. By initiating the swing in this manner it assures a complete and full rotation into the ball. The left side must rotate in order for the right side to follow...the right side being the hitting side. But by using this most natural rotation into the ball you are effectively hitting the ball more with your body. Wow! This is a white light moment in swings...be it forehand or golf.

The importance of the left hand is to get the left side of the body engaged. I would love Brian Gordon to have a look at this and get his thoughts. Actually seano's thoughts would suffice. 10splayer is another post I would treasure.

don_budge

Comment

Initiating the forwards swing..."left shoulder to the sky". Look at frame 24 as the forwards swing commences. It begins with the shoulder.
              don_budge

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2299 users online. 2 members and 2297 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
              X