Iga's Forehand is the WTA Version of Taylor Fritz's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iga's Forehand is the WTA Version of Taylor Fritz's

Someone had a great comment {perhaps here? I'd credit you if I could remember), that Iga's forehand is the WTA version of Taylor Fritz's.

Seems both concise and accurate. Here are four images. Don't capture everything but 1) Extreme grip 2) Very bent arm 3) Often big take back 4) Follow through down (or Iga occasionally overhead to avoid a face smack).

4 images, all mine from Indian Wells.

Separated at Birth?

filedata/fetch?id=101752&d=1690914151&type=thumb

filedata/fetch?id=101751&d=1690914151&type=thumb

filedata/fetch?id=101749&d=1690914151&type=thumb

filedata/fetch?id=101750&d=1690914151&type=thumb

#
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 4 photos.
    Last edited by jimlosaltos; 08-01-2023, 10:25 AM.

Looks like a very good comparison, exactly the same grip. Sock used that grip also, but his forehand was certainly more dynamic.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
      Looks like a very good comparison, exactly the same grip. Sock used that grip also, but his forehand was certainly more dynamic.
      Sock's forehand is awesome. If there is such a thing as THE biggest, he's possibly there with Fernando Gonzalez ?

Similar grip but take back is different. Strike face toward back wall, ala Kyrgios, sometimes Sinner.

filedata/fetch?id=101757&d=1691001456&type=thumb

filedata/fetch?id=101758&d=1691001443&type=thumb
      This gallery has 2 photos.
      Last edited by jimlosaltos; 08-02-2023, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Vs Iga literally running full speed to ball while holding her racket in front of her with her off hand way up at the bottom of the racket face.
        Then swings way back behind her. Not so sure about Fritz but have pics of him reaching back as well.
        Someone -- Marion Barolti now a TV analyst somewhere in Europe, said Iga holds onto the racket in front of her so long because her grip changes take so long. Something like that. Not sure how that works but ... regardless she holds it in front of her face like a mirror.
        These come from a slomo on YT, forget which one

filedata/fetch?id=101760&d=1691001622&type=thumb

filedata/fetch?id=101761&d=1691001622&type=thumb
        This gallery has 2 photos.
        Last edited by jimlosaltos; 08-02-2023, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Ah, here's a take back. Can vary, but one example -- from his title run at Indian Wells, including win over Rafa (albeit in a match with both players among the walking wounded).

filedata/fetch?id=101764&d=1691002885&type=thumb
          This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post

Sock's forehand is awesome. If there is such a thing as THE biggest, he's possibly there with Fernando Gonzalez ?

Similar grip but take back is different. Strike face toward back wall, ala Kyrgios, sometimes Sinner.

filedata/fetch?id=101757&d=1691001456&type=thumb

filedata/fetch?id=101758&d=1691001443&type=thumb
            Certainly ties in nicely to JY's current article this month on internal and external rotation on the forehand.

Comment

Remember, his flip is "muscularly driven" where he leads with his elbow and the racquet head stays above the wrist. While a type 3 forehand is the result of a "pulling force" where the hand pulls forward and the racquet head naturally drops below wrist level. How far it drops will determine the degree of rpm's.

Comment

Originally posted by seano View Post
                Remember, his flip is "muscularly driven" where he leads with his elbow and the racquet head stays above the wrist. While a type 3 forehand is the result of a "pulling force" where the hand pulls forward and the racquet head naturally drops below wrist level. How far it drops will determine the degree of rpm's.
                Thanks, seano. Do you have any comments on Iga's take back in particular or her forehand? It's interesting.

Comment

Currently at Citiopen but will look at it

Comment

Currently at Citiopen but will look at it
                    Thanks! Enjoy Citi (although I'll never forgive DC Billionaire Mark Ein for stealing our WTA tournament from San Jose }

Comment

Certainly ties in nicely to JY's current article this month on internal and external rotation on the forehand.
                      I was thinking the same thing!

Comment

Keep in mind that with the WTA forehand the external rotation of the shoulder occurs in the backswing and the internal rotation will occur in the forward swing. As opposed to the ATP, both external and internal rotation occur in the forward swing. For both Iga and Taylor with their arm so bent in the backswing they will have less lag of the shoulder joint as they swing forward. They both require more hand speed from the backswing to compensate for such a bent arm at contact. This is all from Brian's research, he gets all the credit.

Comment

Keep in mind that with the WTA forehand the external rotation of the shoulder occurs in the backswing and the internal rotation will occur in the forward swing. As opposed to the ATP, both external and internal rotation occur in the forward swing. For both Iga and Taylor with their arm so bent in the backswing they will have less lag of the shoulder joint as they swing forward. They both require more hand speed from the backswing to compensate for such a bent arm at contact. This is all from Brian's research, he gets all the credit.
                          So true. I think that is the crux of what separates Sock's forehand(with what appears to be the same full western grip) from Iga and Taylor. Kind of what I meant when I talked about Sock's forehand being more dynamic.
                          Last edited by stroke; 08-04-2023, 08:59 AM.

Comment

So true. I think that is the crux of what separates Sock's forehand(with what appears to be the same full western grip) from Iga and Taylor. Kind of what I meant when I talked about Sock's forehand being more dynamic.
                            Thanks both. Very helpful & concise.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2646 users online. 5 members and 2641 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                            X