Rogers Cup, ATP Toronto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rogers Cup, ATP Toronto

Had to start this after seeing the draw, which is just up.

Juicy, potential second round matches:

1) Carlos Alcaraz vs Ben Shelton (has to get by Miralles).
    2) Taylor Fritz, vs Ugo Humbert Or Nicolas Jarry
    3) Casper Rudd vs Jiri Lehecka (has to get by Q/ or Exempt)
    4) Jannik Sinner vs Matteo Berrettini (has to get by Barrere)
    5) Stefanos Tsitsipas vs either Christopher Eubanks (the new IT guy on TPN forum ! ) or Gael Monfils

First rounder, local Milos Raonic (!!! ) vs this month's Tour Portrait subject, Frances Tiafoe.

Milos Raonic is back being Milos Raonic, for a day at least. Let's see how the leg joints hold up.

But let's start with the first set. Tiafoe won the 26-point tie-break that ended with a bizarre incident involving Tiafoe touching the net outside the singles post. The players turned to Fergus Murphy who said "This is complicated". Milos said, I know the ball has to be up. Fergus said appox, "That's not it. Tiafoe touched the net first BUT it was outside the singles post", so the touch didn't cost Frances the point. That is one I had never seen before. Fergus is one of the best Gold Chair Umps IMHO.

Back to Raonic, a cliche' of tennis, or rather a combination of two, is that "The service is the last thing to go with age, and the first thing to go with lack of practice." Well, Milos has missed most of 2 years with multiple injuries, but clearly he's been dropping some bombs on the practice court: "Raonic's 37 aces fell just one short of his own record for a three-set match of 38, hit against Radek Stepanekat Memphis in 2011.​"

Milos' fastest serve of the night was over 143 MPH, his "average" (and there's nothing average about it) first service was almost 130 MPH (208.7 KPH).

No fans nor ball people were reported injured in this match <g>.

Milos saved 6 of 7 BPs, Tiafoe 0 of 2 and that's all she wrote.​
    Last edited by jimlosaltos; 08-08-2023, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Murray vs Sonego today. Murray is the favorite, Sonego is tough. As another poster referenced tired legs about Dan Evans, same for Murray after last week. I do not bet, but this one has upset written all over it.

Comment

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post
        Milos Raonic is back being Milos Raonic, for a day at least. Let's see how the leg joints hold up.

But let's start with the first set. Tiafoe won the 26-point tie-break that ended with a bizarre incident involving Tiafoe touching the net outside the singles post. The players turned to Fergus Murphy who said "This is complicated". Milos said, I know the ball has to be up. Fergus said appox, "That's not it. Tiafoe touched the net first BUT it was outside the singles post", so the touch didn't cost Frances the point. That is one I had never seen before. Fergus is one of the best Gold Chair Umps IMHO.

Back to Raonic, a cliche' of tennis, or rather a combination of two, is that "The service is the last thing to go with age, and the first thing to go with lack of practice." Well, Milos has missed most of 2 years with multiple injuries, but clearly he's been dropping some bombs on the practice court: "Raonic's 37 aces fell just one short of his own record for a three-set match of 38, hit against Radek Stepanekat Memphis in 2011.​"

Milos' fastest serve of the night was over 143 MPH, his "average" (and there's average about it) first service was almost 130 MPH (208.7 KPH).

No fans nor ball people were reported injured in this match <g>.

Milos saved 6 of 7 BPs, Tiafoe 0 of 2 and that's all she wrote.​
        As I have said many times before, Raonic has the best serve in tennis after the 3 giants. And one of the best of all time to me.
        Last edited by stroke; 08-08-2023, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Murray gets the job done with very little fuss. At least I did not bet on it.

Comment

Seeds finally get going today. Interesting matchups are Alcaraz vs Sheldon, Tsitsipas vs Monfils, and Sinner vs Berrenttini.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
              Seeds finally get going today. Interesting matchups are Alcaraz vs Sheldon, Tsitsipas vs Monfils, and Sinner vs Berrenttini.
              Lots of good ones for so early! Sinner vs Matteo is IMHO a huge barometer for two of the big second-tier contenders for the US Open title - just below Alcaraz, Djokovic, Medvedev.

Did Wimbledon show Matteo is finally healthy and has his A game back?

Is Sinner regressing, not quite able to beat the top players? Only one, lonely ATP 250 title for this year?

(And what service motion will he use this time - Jannik changes service motions like others change their tennis outfits <g> )

Comment

Just a very disappointing performance by Tsitsipas and Zverev. Fed, Rafa, and Novak are just shaking their heads. That is exactly not how it is done.

Comment

Sinner takes out Berrenttini in 2 sets. The IBM Shot Quality stat tells the story here. Late in the match, they showed the IBM Shot Quality score for both players. Both had a forehand score in the low 8's, which is very good. Sinners backhand was in the mid 7's, again very good. Berrenttini's backhand was in the high 3's, which is bad.

Comment

Match of the Day...2023 Roger's Cup...ATP 1000...Toronto, Canada

Alcaraz vs. Hurkacz: From one raz to another kaz, I think that mobility is the big issue here. Firepower is even up or even a nod to RAZ over KACZ. It all comes down to moving the feet and there isn't anyone on tour moving better than Alcaraz.

Paul vs. Giron: Fascinating matchup...at least on paper. The actual play will be less than scintilating. Although Paul might surprise. I like the service motion better than most. But Giron has beaten Paul three of the four times they have played. Paul currently ranked a breath taking high in the stratosphere 15 and Giron lingering on at 70. Both Americans have won two matches against competent opponents which is another facet of interest. Paul defeating Schwartzman and number 22 ranked Cerundolo. Giron having both Ruusuvuori and Holger Rune under his belt. The Fin ranked 54 and Rune ranked a lofty 6. Fascinating matchup...but I already said that. Didn't I?

Monfils vs. Vukic: Discussed in another thread. Monfils ranked 200 and something while up and coming Vukic is at number 62. Lots of intriguing stuff surrounding this one as well...not to mention causal relationships to the new kid on the block...Mr. Eubanks. "The Amazing Mr. Monfils" took the scalp of Stefanos Tsitsipas and is looking for more. Vukic has already taken down "Born Again" Coric and Sebastian Korda. Two legitimate wins in any ATP venue. Experience goes to "Amazing" while the legs department goes to Vukic. Lately it seems legs trump experience. We'll see.

Murray vs. Sinner: A case of "The Wheels". Sinner firepower enough to blunt that of Murray. Legs go to Sinner and Murray may resort to his old "clutch and grab" routine while yelling at his box. Good old Sir Andy...he hasn't changed all that much. Except perhaps he has lost half a step. Interesting how he can over compensate with his wits and psychology. A bit of gamesmanship.

McDonald vs. Raonic: Cover your ears oh sensitive ones. A political reference coming up. McDonald takes out two Ruskies. Russians actually. A bad word in any Western lexicon. Get over it. They exist and not displaying their flag is childish, vindictive and hostile. But it figures...considering the source. Mac takes out heavy hitting Karatsov and Rublev by the almost identical scores in straight sets. They shook hands like gentlemen after the match which is more than going on in the ladies events. Good for them...rise above I always say. Raonic on the other hand is serving big...but what about the wheels now? As I said before...we'll see. If McDonald gets the serve back with any kind of consistency he may be the favourite.

Fokina vs. Ruud: Fokina takes the first set and Ruud has been stumbling as of late suffering from a dose of the expectations. The Kiss of Death in ATP circles.

Fritz vs. di Minaur: Three to three head to head. di Minaur took the first three prior to 2019 and Frits has "owned" him the three times subsequently. Owned being a relative term as the Fritz victories have not been straight set wins. Look for a tussle if di Minaur is feeling it. I wouldn't put it past him either. The last three wins by Fritz have to leave a foul taste in his mouth. Knowing that he can beat him. He has been working his tail off...the little demon. Nothing straight forwards about this one either.

Musetti vs. Medvedev: Holy M&M's. Musetti a real stylist having the Kiss of Death recently in some obscure comparison the The Great One...Roger Federer. Look what that did for Dimitrov. No kidding...this one is perfect for Mr. Pencil. Diagramming a game plan against the elegance of Musetti is right up his alley. Another Ruskie. A proud Russian who must be getting tired of the lack of respect and the vindictiveness. I know I would be. A nice match up of polar opposites. Nothing classic about Medvedev in any aspect of the game...except that he is a very clever fellow and a very awkward opponent.

Read it and weep.
                    don_budge
                    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Very compelling(to me) match going on Wall of Med vs Musetti. Med just is relentlessly unflappable as we know. I would really like to know his resting heart rate. I have a feeling it is in the Borg and John Havlicek category.

Comment

If I were casting a tennis movie, certainly Grigor, Tsitsipas, and Musetti (and maybe Morgan and Taylor) would be at the absolute top of my list. But it is not a beauty contest, and no one cares who wins Miss Congeniality.
                        Last edited by stroke; 08-11-2023, 02:43 AM.

Comment

The demon really fights hard and takes the 1st set vs Wall of Med. Demon matches up well with Med. Hits a similar ball(not a high rpm player) and moves and fights as well as Med.

Comment

From Alcaraz vs Hurkacz:

Carlitos is an offensive first, aggressive player and likes to talk about that. Here, he was on defense: minus 10 on short rallies vs plus 12 on long ones. And Hurkacz had 40% unreturned serves vs ~half that for Alcaraz. But world number one, won.

Must be nice to have different ways of winning.
                            POINTS WON
                            68 0-4 SHOTS 78
                            32 5-8 SHOTS 24
                            14 9+ SHOTS 10

Comment

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post
                              From Alcaraz vs Hurkacz:

Carlitos is an offensive first, aggressive player and likes to talk about that. Here, he was on defense: minus 10 on short rallies vs plus 12 on long ones. And Hurkacz had 40% unreturned serves vs ~half that for Alcaraz. But world number one, won.

Must be nice to have different ways of winning.
                              POINTS WON
                              68 0-4 SHOTS 78
                              32 5-8 SHOTS 24
                              14 9+ SHOTS 10
                              Being number 1 a very tough ask. One has to have pretty much all the tools to stay there for a significant stint. Carlos seems to have the tools.
                              Last edited by stroke; 08-11-2023, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8364 users online. 3 members and 8361 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X