Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Do Coaches Change Young Phenoms from Left - to Right Handed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Do Coaches Change Young Phenoms from Left - to Right Handed?

I don't get it. I recall Maria Sharapova's father Yuri reportedly saying, "If f****ng IMG hadn't changed Maria from left handed she would have won 9 'Slam titles." Might be true. Her shoulder might have held up better hitting lefty hooks as well.

Now this on 19 yo Alex Michelson in NYT profile: "Michelsen features a well-rounded game, firing right-handed forehands and serves even though he was a left-handed baseball player as a kid."

Why, oh why given the obvious and large advantages to playing tennis left-handed would a coach change a natural lefty to right?

"The son of two college tennis players, Michelsen began playing the sport at age 3. His mother, Sondra, starred at San Diego State and his father, Erik, was a three-time all-American at the University of Redlands in Redlands, Calif.

“My parents had contrasting game styles,” Michelsen said. “My mom would stay at the baseline and make every ball. I took that from her. My dad likes to serve and volley, come to the net and be more creative, so I took that from him. I feel like I’ve combined those two very well.” ... With his integrated tennis DNA, Michelsen features a well-rounded game, firing right-handed forehands and serves even though he was a left-handed baseball player as a kid.

Article: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/31/s...smid=url-share

I certainly don't get that either. Just the non arguable fact that lefties are serving all break and ad points to their favorable side finishes that argument to me.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8924 users online. 5 members and 8919 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
    X