Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Drought

Let's discuss Matt Cronin's article, "American Drought"

Matt is of course correct. It would be stunning if an American man could win a Major it seems. I think Fritz is closer than we realize maybe. I think he is still in the conversation for the US Open this year. We will see. Tiafoe is the fan darling, but I think Fritz has a better small chance.

Comment

Good piece! Other than a little obstacle called Novak, Fritz's draw is opening up.

On the next horizon, are Ben Sheldon and Alex Michelson.

But if I had an ace for everyone I've heard was the next American men's hope, I'd be that guy ! Enough aces to win Wimbledon <g>.

Comment

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post
        Good piece! Other than a little obstacle called Novak, Fritz's draw is opening up.

On the next horizon, are Ben Sheldon and Alex Michelson.

But if I had an ace for everyone I've heard was the next American men's hope, I'd be that guy ! Enough aces to win Wimbledon <g>.
        There is that obstacle no doubt. But I like Fritz' game, I would call it a betting opportunity, and probably if it happens, the match of the tournament thus far.

Comment

I will throw out some thoughts here but I cannot guarantee the validity of them. We are seeing American women's soccer and tennis greatly improve at the world's highest level. Men's tennis has not kept pace. I wonder how the NCAA rulings affect this. 1. They allow men to have only 4.5 scholarships per tennis team but allow the women to have 8. Correctly or incorrectly parents frequently see their child with some athletic talent and believe they can get a scholarship to college. The word is out on how tough it is to get a scholarship in men's tennis compared to women's. The influx of international players is also partly responsible here. 2. The NCAA has greatly reduced the amount of practice time and the amount of matches kids can play in college. Athletes have to sign time cards to verify they did not exceed practice limits. it seems like the work ethic has become a dirty phrase in college. The scoring is no add and if the team match is over kids can't finish their matches.some weeks, supervised practice is limited to 2 hours a week. I think back to before these rules and in the same time period the following top tenners came out of college: T Martin, P Haarhus, M. Pernfors, M. Washington..and they were not the cream of the crop. Before the the Sampras, Courrier, Agassi, Chang group came up, most of our champions had some collegiate tennis and growth experiences. 3. Our culture is much softer and breeds entitlement. I think this hurts us greatly in the development of champions. Well, these are thoughts...for what they are worth.

Comment

Originally posted by kenh View Post
            I will throw out some thoughts here but I cannot guarantee the validity of them. We are seeing American women's soccer and tennis greatly improve at the world's highest level. Men's tennis has not kept pace. I wonder how the NCAA rulings affect this. 1. They allow men to have only 4.5 scholarships per tennis team but allow the women to have 8. Correctly or incorrectly parents frequently see their child with some athletic talent and believe they can get a scholarship to college. The word is out on how tough it is to get a scholarship in men's tennis compared to women's. The influx of international players is also partly responsible here. 2. The NCAA has greatly reduced the amount of practice time and the amount of matches kids can play in college. Athletes have to sign time cards to verify they did not exceed practice limits. it seems like the work ethic has become a dirty phrase in college. The scoring is no add and if the team match is over kids can't finish their matches.some weeks, supervised practice is limited to 2 hours a week. I think back to before these rules and in the same time period the following top tenners came out of college: T Martin, P Haarhus, M. Pernfors, M. Washington..and they were not the cream of the crop. Before the the Sampras, Courrier, Agassi, Chang group came up, most of our champions had some collegiate tennis and growth experiences. 3. Our culture is much softer and breeds entitlement. I think this hurts us greatly in the development of champions. Well, these are thoughts...for what they are worth.
            Excellent points and I guarantee to their validity. Too funny, as in ironic about the women's sports getting more attention. Nothing new here...for fifty years this has been the case to the detriment of men. More importantly...boys. Women are equal to men? Not on your life. With the emphasis on women the boys get the sharp end of the shaft. Masculinity has paid a huge price to the feminist. You nailed it on point number three. Culture is so soft and masculinity is shamed upon. What does this breed for an outcome? It isn't going to be pretty. In fact...it isn't pretty now. Society should mirror nature in a sense. There is no entitlement in nature. There is only the survival of the species. Nor is there any to be had in a tennis match. The first signs of entitlement spell the beginning of the end. Devolution. I've been preaching this for a long,long time.

I have this conversation a lot in Sweden where I moved some eighteen years ago. I say that I got out ahead of the tsunami. This is only the beginning as you see in the political spectrum. Which is, of course, forbidden to talk about in this forum. But suffice it to say...this is only the beginning. American tennis has been on the decline for a long time now. It would be a long way back if ever. Some problems are so large that there are no viable solutions. Case in point. Lots of talk. Not enough action. I don't think the current crop are going to have what it takes. But then again...the trend in general worldwide is much the same.

College tennis used to be like a farm system. A minor league if you will. The armed services used to contribute a lot with some of the great American legends serving there country while serving tennis balls. These are relics of the past as women are now in command. The world has been in the midst of this feminist movement for how long? How long has the country been in decline? Tennis and otherwise? See the connection? Connect the dots?
            don_budge
            Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 9653 users online. 9 members and 9644 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
            X