Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interactive Forum October 2023: Ben Shelton Serve

Interactive Forum October 2023: Ben Shelton Serve

Another young American with a massive serve! And a lefty. Here is our exclusive footage of Ben Shelton. Pinpoint stance but a huge body turn. Massive, fast arm rotation.

I wonder what Brian Gordon might say though about his entry into backswing? Happens way after the leg push begins. Does it matter?

Thought please!
    ​​

Awesome videos!

Grabbed some info from ATP site to include. Dude hits all four corners. Varies his serve a lot.

1 of 3 images

Stats for 2023, lefty has a big hook but also hits it out wide in the deuce court -- 37% of serves there and wins a higher percentage.

filedata/fetch?id=102253&d=1696094996&type=thumb

2 of 3 images

From Cincinnati loss in pair of tiebreaks to Tsitsipas, positive side, you can see how wickedly wide his lefty hook can go BUT doesn't get near the lines much otherwise. All firsts shown, peak 146 MPH.

filedata/fetch?id=102254&d=1696094996&type=thumb

3 of 3 images

Ditto ad court

filedata/fetch?id=102255&d=1696094996&type=thumb
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

Shelton has a very unique approach to his serve but gets crazy powerful results. The torqueing of his lower body (severe knee bend, back foot and knees pointing backwards, knees not over toes, sticking his rear end into the court) after he releases his toss is not recommended but he gets tremendous mph. The timing of his racquet drop is interesting as well. He delays the racquet drop even though he has started to push off the ground and straighten his legs. He has such a "live" arm motion that he still pretty close to full racquet drop by the time his legs are straight, that's crazy fast. He reminds me of a combination of Roscoe Tanner (minus the short toss and little knee bend) and Pete Sampras with how quickly Shelton gets in and out of the racquet drop to contact and then finishes with an abrupt, compact finish. I wouldn't teach anyone to serve this way but just proves there's a variety of ways to get the job done.

Sean
      Last edited by seano; 10-01-2023, 04:11 AM.

Comment

Link didn't work for me (might be on my end I just "upgraded" to Mac Sonoma which "has issues" but here's a link just in case:

Interesting to compare. They are more similar than I would have guessed.

I always put Groth in the category of what I call "The Aussie Running Serve", for lack of a real name, ala Pat Cash and Pat Rafter, who barely get off the ground and seem to have more energy going toward the net than up. But both Groth and Shelton get some clearance beyond the Pats' "credit card" hops.

Comment

Stroke -
          Nice comparison

Comment

Originally posted by seano View Post
            Stroke -
            Nice comparison
            Well to give credit where it is due, Nick at Intuitive Tennis came up with that. But I agree with him, Sam Groth's motion looks very similar.

Comment

Not a fan of that site but a nice comparison

Comment

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post

Link didn't work for me (might be on my end I just "upgraded" to Mac Sonoma which "has issues" but here's a link just in case:

Interesting to compare. They are more similar than I would have guessed.

I always put Groth in the category of what I call "The Aussie Running Serve", for lack of a real name, ala Pat Cash and Pat Rafter, who barely get off the ground and seem to have more energy going toward the net than up. But both Groth and Shelton get some clearance beyond the Pats' "credit card" hops.
                Never really studied Sam Groth's before serve but it's a weird one. Is it the camera angle playing tricks or does Sam's arse (ass in your lingo) point almost towards the net as he rotates his body round? Not a full ISR either by the look of it.
                Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by seano View Post
                  Not a fan of that site but a nice comparison
                  Tennisplayer.net is the only site I would ever pay for, but I do like to check out other sites.

Comment

Agreed. Mostly just get frustrated with the horrible things being suggested

Comment

The ISR is lightning fast even in slow motion! Another thing I really like about this serve is how balanced he is when he is landing...he has what I like to call the Federer Landing Gear.

Comment

Originally posted by jthb1021 View Post
                        The ISR is lightning fast even in slow motion! Another thing I really like about this serve is how balanced he is when he is landing...he has what I like to call the Federer Landing Gear.
                        I like that so much I'll steal it: Federer Landing Gear <g>

Comment

Just goes to show that science learns from the great players. This to me seems like a very natural serving motion and would almost mimic a center fielder throwing to home from deep center but of course he has no step with the front foot and a bigger hip and shoulder separation because of the no step.
                          Last edited by kenh; 10-06-2023, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Yesterday he defeated Safiulin, who is supposedly a good returner (I haven't watched him yet), Ben had 50.79% unreturned first serves, per ATP

Over half his first serves didn't even come back. That's like playing poker and starting with a pair of aces before the draw.

And he mixes it up so much, instead of bomb, bomb, bomb like typical Too Big servers.

Max was 142 mph but he actually averaged lower than Safiullin - 194 kph vs 198 kph. first.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2570 users online. 6 members and 2564 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                            X