Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Bryan Shelton the BEST Tennis Dad Ever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Bryan Shelton the BEST Tennis Dad Ever?

Watching Ben Shelton being coached from the stands by his father, Bryan Shelton in several games now, I'm really impressed with the father's demeanor and self-control.

He's the antithesis of the cliche'd possessive, controlling, neurotic tennis parent.

It's not just that he knows his stuff -- Bryan was an ATP player and coached the Georgia U women's team to an NCAA title, but his sheer positive force.

Twice I've seen Bryan urge his son to be under control on his second serve only to have Ben bomb 140 MPH second serves (I believe both missed). Bryan didn't go wild, no screaming, not even a negative word. He smiled that "kids are going to be kids" knowing smile and moved on.

When Ben simply went flat in the second set of a comeback, no legs no energy, velocity down (Singapore was it?), Bryan was largely quiet. Not a negative word. No scowling. No "stop hanging your head", or "get it together", "come on". He was quiet. Letting Ben work through it.

Then Ben found the legs, energy, concentration, whatever to hit a big serve and Bryan yelled "Keep putting down the hammer" and damned if Ben didn't hit his way out of a slump.

Great team, those two.

Wiki on Bryan Shelton:

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post
    Watching Ben Shelton being coached from the stands by his father, Bryan Shelton in several games now, I'm really impressed with the father's demeanor and self-control.

He's the antithesis of the cliche'd possessive, controlling, neurotic tennis parent.

It's not just that he knows his stuff -- Bryan was an ATP player and coached the Georgia U women's team to an NCAA title, but his sheer positive force.

Twice I've seen Bryan urge his son to be under control on his second serve only to have Ben bomb 140 MPH second serves (I believe both missed). Bryan didn't go wild, no screaming, not even a negative word. He smiled that "kids are going to be kids" knowing smile and moved on.

When Ben simply went flat in the second set of a comeback, no legs no energy, velocity down (Singapore was it?), Bryan was largely quiet. Not a negative word. No scowling. No "stop hanging your head", or "get it together", "come on". He was quiet. Letting Ben work through it.

Then Ben found the legs, energy, concentration, whatever to hit a big serve and Bryan yelled "Keep putting down the hammer" and damned if Ben didn't hit his way out of a slump.

Great team, those two.

Wiki on Bryan Shelton:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryan_Shelton
    I have noticed this also. Bryan really seems to have a great relationship with Ben, and from what I have seen of how he conducts himself, it is very easy to see why. One small correction, he coached at Georgia Tech, and was doing so when I worked there. He was a great guy there. Of all the great things I have seen of his demeanor as a coach/father, the way he handled Ben when Ben got down on himself in that second set you referenced, may be the most impressive.
    Last edited by stroke; 10-23-2023, 02:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post

I have noticed this also. Bryan really seems to have a great relationship with Ben, and from what I have seen of how he conducts himself, it is very easy to see why. One small correction, he coached at Georgia Tech, and was doing so when I worked there. He was a great guy there. Of all the great things I have seen of his demeanor as a coach/father, the way he handled Ben when Ben got down on himself in that second set you referenced, may be the most impressive.
      Thanks for the correction and my abject apologies for inexplicably confusing a yellow jacket for a bull dog <g>
      Must get my eyes checked.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2415 users online. 6 members and 2409 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
      X