Interactive Forum November 2023: Ben Shelton Forehands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interactive Forum November 2023: Ben Shelton Forehands

Last month we looked at Ben’s serves. Here are his lefty forehands. My thoughts: doesn’t get the complete right arm stretch, but, hey it’s huge. Hits all the various finishes.

What are your thoughts subscribers?

It's a great forehand obviously. ATP type 3 forehand, maybe not the model type 3, as he does not get complete elbow extension, but that forehand certainly will not be a roadblock to the upper echelon of the rankings.

Comment

Definitely a Classic ATP forehand. Interesting how Shelton can get crazy high mph forehands but doesn't seem to have as much extension through the shot as a Nadal does. Nadal has a type 3 forehand but has the wrap around finish that Ben does. Shelton with his somewhat bent elbow, has more of a windshield wiper motion where the hand doesn't extend towards the target as much but can still crush the ball.

Sean

Comment

It looks like some of these are returns of serve, is that correct? It seems like those and the forehands on the run are the ones where he doesn't get as big a unit turn and right arm stretch which is understandable.

Comment

Correct. A few returns mixed in!

Comment

John

stroke pasted an article by Hugh Clarke who invariably has an interesting take on tennis matches and strokes. https://hughclarke.substack.com/p/dj...droid&r=1t7zzc

If you scroll to the 4th and 5th clip down with the video comparisons of the Sinner/Novak backhands, I just wondered what you take was on the following caption under the second of the two clips.

You can see how Djokovic employs a ‘locked-wrist’ follow-through, maintaining this wrist position with his strings facing up to the sky as his torso unwinds. It makes timing the ball easier. In contrast, Sinner ‘rolls’ his left hand over the ball so he finishes with his left-palm and strings facing down and his racquet tip pointing right. He can get more topspin.​
            Stotty

Comment

Thanks Jim. I pasted in the wrong thread. Can you repost yours in John's thread as that's where intended it to go in the first place.

I had a senior moment!
              Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
                Thanks Jim. I pasted in the wrong thread. Can you repost yours in John's thread as that's where intended it to go in the first place.

I had a senior moment!
                My sympahties <g> Will do. Deleting the above item too ...

Comment

Below is an interesting video of how Ben Shelton changed his forehand for 2024. The video is from Jason Frausto of Tennis Unleased. He makes some decent break down videos of pros strokes.

Comment

Originally posted by seano View Post
                    Below is an interesting video of how Ben Shelton changed his forehand for 2024. The video is from Jason Frausto of Tennis Unleased. He makes some decent break down videos of pros strokes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXBaza5IIs0&t=193s
                    Thanks for posting that Seano. I think Jason did a very good analysis there of the technique tweak of Ben on his forehand. He definitely looks more Fed, way less next gen, with the lower elbow set up and consequently, the change in the racquet tip preparation position, certainly more like the gold standard Fed. If he can stick with this, he certainly should be in much better position to take the ball on early, and not be nearly as vulnerable to being rushed on that side.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3735 users online. 5 members and 3730 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                    X