Is Hurkacz the Best Server in Tennis.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Hurkacz the Best Server in Tennis.

After Hubert Hurkacz's win at the Singapore Masters, we decided to do this month's Tour Portrait on the tall Pole.

The updated Link:

Hubert Hurkacz is arguably the best server on the ATP right now. Per tour stats up to Wimbledon, his serve ranks the most effective next to that of Nick Kyrgios, who isn't really on the tour these days. In winning his second Masters Shield in Shanghai, Hurkacz averaged -- averaged -- 131 MPH while getting 75% of his first serves and getting them within a foot-and-a-half of the side-center lines. My photos are from Indian Wells 2019 when Hurk was playing Fed, pushed him a bit.​ Seems to have built up a lot more muscle since his skinny, 2019 self.

Those "long levers" not only help him on his serve, but his groundstrokes as well.

P.S. Didn't seem to like the low, bright desert sun (it's tough). Squinting or eyes shut in about 7 of these <g>
    He isn't alone in struggling with Indian Wells' sun. I have an old, old shot of Andy, shot along the baseline, where he tosses his serve way behind his head, presumably to get it out of the sun.

filedata/fetch?id=102547&d=1698943080&type=thumb
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    Last edited by jimlosaltos; 11-03-2023, 08:54 AM.

Here are some statistics we discussed earlier in the forum.

This shows that Hurckaz and FAA were the top ranked servers among the seeds at Wimbledon -- after Nick Kyrgios who is not playing now -- per new "Serve Efficiency" stats from the ATP's data division.

If you've ever complained, as I have, that counting aces is overemphasized because a good serve can help win a point in many other ways, this is the ATP/TDI's comprehensive attempt to measure that. It categorizes service results including: Aces, unreturned serves, serves that yield poor/attackable returns, return winners, neutral returns, and offensive returns that put the server on the defense.

I assume the categorization is somehow automated, rather than having scorers do all that manually, but TDI doesn't seem to have published an explanation yet.

filedata/fetch?id=102550&d=1697058094&type=thumb

Here are Hurk's remarkable serving stats from Singapore. Again, average -- average 131 MPH -- while getting 75% firsts in, within a 1.5 feet of the side and/or center line (excluding body serves).

filedata/fetch?id=102549&d=1698943153&type=thumb
    #
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.
    Last edited by jimlosaltos; 11-02-2023, 08:52 AM.

Comment

From what I have seen this year - which is far from a complete picture - Hurckaz is the best and most effective server out there. His serving display against Novak at Wimbledon this year is I think the best I have ever seen.

Interesting that Carlos is way down the list despite having won the tournament. Just shows how good the kid could get if he improves in that department.
      Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
        From what I have seen this year - which is far from a complete picture - Hurckaz is the best and most effective server out there. His serving display against Novak at Wimbledon this year is I think the best I have ever seen.

Interesting that Carlos is way down the list despite having won the tournament. Just shows how good the kid could get if he improves in that department.
        Good point on Alcaraz's serve. I wish we had a before-and-after on his serve to see if it has changed since his first, big breakthrough.
        Memory can deceive, and repeating something I posted earlier, but I recall Alcaraz mixing in 130+ bombs at the US Open a couple of years back. Never see those any more.

Comment

Yes, the serve efficiency quantitative numbers tell the story. Hubie is the best active player out there right now. Opelka is looking to comeback after a long injury hiatus. Things may change. I don't think Nick will ever really get back on tour anywhere close to full time.

Comment

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post

Good point on Alcaraz's serve. I wish we had a before-and-after on his serve to see if it has changed since his first, big breakthrough.
            Memory can deceive, and repeating something I posted earlier, but I recall Alcaraz mixing in 130+ bombs at the US Open a couple of years back. Never see those any more.
            Having said that I am not sure I agree with the insights on Alcaraz's serve. I seem to remember him serve pretty well at key moments at Wimbledon. His second serve kicker was really effective too as I recall.

Whatever, much though I don't like his motion that much, in my mind I have his serve higher up the pecking order than the insight data has.
            Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post

Having said that I am not sure I agree with the insights on Alcaraz's serve. I seem to remember him serve pretty well at key moments at Wimbledon. His second serve kicker was really effective too as I recall.

Whatever, much though I don't like his motion that much, in my mind I have his serve higher up the pecking order than the insight data has.
              Good memory. Yes, Alcaraz definitely served better than Djokovic in the decisive set at Wimbledon.

Comment

Cross posting with "Paris", Grigor Dimitrov upsets Hurk, describes what returning vs him is like.

Dimitrov. “He caught on fire definitely with the serves. I knew what to expect against him, but I wasn’t sure if I was going to get a break. After the fifth or sixth game in the second set, I was just kind of guessing, but my guesses were all wrong.

Comment

On their Turin round robin match, Hurk hit 24 aces in 18 games vs Djokovic's great return and won 85% of his first serves.
                  Averaged 132 MPH on first serves.

All for naught because he only broke Novak once.

Comment

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post
                    On their Turin round robin match, Hurk hit 24 aces in 18 games vs Djokovic's great return and won 85% of his first serves.
                    Averaged 132 MPH on first serves.

All for naught because he only broke Novak once.
                    He has a wonderful serve, and I do rate him as a player, but there is a question mark as to whether he believes in himself. He tends to fold up when it really counts.
                    Stotty

Comment

Per year end ATP ace numbers, Hurkacz practically lapped the field.

Hubi served more than 1,000 aces during the 2023 ATP Tour season, while three others managed to crack the 600-ace mark & only four other players served 500-plus aces.​

"The Pole is one of only nine players to serve 1,000 aces during a single season and he added a few more to his total before the 2023 campaign came to an end."

Top Aces

1. Hurkacz 1,031 (69 matches)
                      2. Fritz 692 (77 matches)
                      3. Rublev 616 (82 matches)
                      4. Zverev 613 (80 matches)
                      5. Medvedev 547 (84 matches0
                      6. Tsitsipas 547 (71 matches)
                      7. Bublik 543 (48 matches)
                      8. Shelton 505 (50 matches)
                      Last edited by jimlosaltos; 11-28-2023, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Since I dislike gross totals ignoring the number of matches I did aces per match.
                        Hubi is still the leader by a bunch -- nearly 1/3 more than the runner up -- but the rest of the order changes a lot.
                        Player Aces Matches Ace/Match
                        1. Hurkacz 1,031 (69 matches) 1,031 69 14.94
                        7. Bublik 543 (48 matches) 543 48 11.31
                        8. Shelton 505 (50 matches) 505 50 10.10
                        2. Fritz 692 (77 matches) 692 77 8.99
                        6. Tsitsipas 547 (71 matches) 547 71 7.70
                        4. Zverev 613 (80 matches) 613 80 7.66
                        3. Rublev 616 (82 matches) 616 82 7.51
                        5. Medvedev 57 (84 matches0 547 84 6.51
                        Last edited by jimlosaltos; 11-28-2023, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Hubi and his coach each nominated in ATP awards (separate just posted/ Wens )

SPORTSMANSHIP AWARD:
                          Alcaraz
                          Dimitrov
                          Hurkacz
                          Sinner

COACH OF THE YEAR:
                          Craig Boynton (Hurkacz)
                          Darren Cahill & Simone Vagnozzi (Sinner)
                          Juan Carlos Ferrero (Alcaraz)
                          Goran Ivanisevic (Djokovic)
                          Bryan Shelton (Shelton)​
                          Last edited by jimlosaltos; 11-29-2023, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2661 users online. 11 members and 2650 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                          X