Djokovic Refuses ITF Drug Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Djokovic Refuses ITF Drug Test

Am I missing something or is this a huge deal?

Per Marca, Novak Djokovic refused a mandatory drug test before his semifinal match with Cam Norrie in the Davis Cup.

His team was reportedly informed of the "unannounced test" an hour and a half in advance, and all the teams were notified in advance of the competition that there could be unannounced tests. According to Marca, the captains of the teams taking part in the Davis Cup finals had been warned that there would be unannounced tests this week. But Djokovic obviously didn’t think it would be before the start of his match

Ironically, Victor Trocki, the Serbian team captain, was I believe suspended for 18 months years back for refusing such a test. His excuse was an extreme fear of needles.

Regardless, if all this is correct, then Djokovic should receive punishment from the ITF in the form of a suspension for "up to 2 years" for refusing a test.

This should show us whether the rule-of-law holds equally in pro tennis, or whether someone that has enough notoriety (and brings in enough revenue) is above the rules.

{P.S. Remember, during the Rio Olympics, thanks to the Russian "Fancy Bear" hacking group, in a "revenge leak" in retribution for Sochi Olympics drug enforcement, we learned that Serena Williams was given 5 years of retroactive TUE exemptions for steroids and other pharmaceuticals, in apparent violation of WADA rules. .}

Djokovic's explanation is that he has a routine and can't have it interrupted.

Marca story:
    Novak Djokovic, the men's tennis world number one, received a notice on Thursday, an hour and a half before playing his first match of the 2023 Davis Cup to take a doping test alon

Excerpt:
    "It's the first time it's happened to me," Djokovic said in Serbian. "It makes no sense to do it before when I'm going to be after the match.

"I have not yet completed the control, but I have already given a blood sample. I was told an hour and a half before the start and I have my pre-match routines and I don't have to think at that time about giving blood or urine.

"I have argued with him because it is something that had not happened to me in 20 years of my career. He has sat in one of the corners and followed me for hours. It's outrageous. I have always defended controls, but not before matches. There's nothing to hide, but there have to be certain limits".

Despite defeating Cameron Norrie in the semifinals of the Davis Cup, the 24-time major champion went to talk to the representative of the World Anti-Doping Agency after he didn't let the matter slide.

"He told me that they wanted to do it before the match," Djokovic said. "Because afterwards it was going to be too late and to give the players a rest. And I replied that the winning team rested on Friday."
    Last edited by jimlosaltos; 11-26-2023, 11:32 AM.

What difference does it make if the test is before or after a match? Any?
    Stotty

Comment

It does seem like bad scheduling on the testing, but no worse than most of the tournaments do with their daily schedule of play. I think Novak has made it clear though, he is going to stand up for what he believes in.

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
        What difference does it make if the test is before or after a match? Any?
        None that I know of, and pre-match tests MIGHT be unique to the ITF, not sure about that. But ability to do unexpected tests is said to be crucial because there are so many ways to cheat on the tests.

If Players know when tests are done, they could potentially adulterate the specimen, flush their system, take agents that mask or confuse results, or supposedly substitute specimens (extreme case of that is the Sochi Olympics, but that's a long story) - or simply stop using.

Personally, I doubt Djokovic would use a drug on the banned list but the idea that every player has been subject to these for years now, and multiple players have been suspended -- yet Novak thinks he merits special treatment is so on brand. Also, Djokovic having been on the ATP players' council and having no idea this controversial program existing says volumes about his PTPA.

Players suspended for missing tests - NOT positive results -- off-hand recently include Jenson Brooksby (3X), Michael Ymer (3X}. On WTA ... who is there ... Yanina Wickmayer got one year ban years ago for not being available for a test -- when she didn't receivera letter to her home while on tour in Asia. That was over-turned on appeal.

Also, X-man, Xavier Malisse had something overturned like Wickmayer under the "whereabouts rule". That one might have been rescinded. Can't recall that.

I suspect that this afternoon there has already been a Zoom call of tennis bureaucrats trying to find a loop hole for Djokovic <g>.
        Last edited by jimlosaltos; 11-27-2023, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Story gets murkier - or perhaps clarified.

This quote describes why "pre-match" testing is important, but other reports claim the test was NOT REQUIRED to be performed then.

Marc Madot, former French Olympic cyclist:
          “If the anti-doping body is doing its job, Mr Novak Djokovic must be suspended. He refused a test before the match and did it after. In cycling, you are subjected to a test and if you refuse, you are automatically positive. If that is the case, you are sanctioned. You don’t have the right to refuse testing, that’s the rule.”

The Olympian also explained why pre-match testing was important. Madiot added: “In the assortment of doping products there are those that can be detected for a very limited period of time. If you don’t test yourself before the start, during the match, their traces can be erased in the body."

Meanwhile, The ITF is disputing reports that Djokovic did not get tested as required:

"Several media outlets reported that Djokovic didn’t comply with the rules. However, the ITIA confirmed in a statement published in France’s top news source L'Equipe that the players at the Davis Cup last year had a choice to submit their blood samples either before or after the match.​

In Davis Cup, teams are notified before the start of the match. This allows players to choose if they prefer to do it before their match, otherwise, it will be after, a member of the organisation told us. They have a choice. Some players prefer to do it before, it frees them up after the meeting, which is also not bad, they avoid staying on site too long after the end of a meeting.”

Comment

Found L'Equipe. Machine translation. Contradicts Marca's report.

Also, Djokovic's big complaint about the agent following him around has also been protocol for years; idea being to not let an athlete take something after he's been informed of the test that would nullify the test.

ITIA, the body responsible for tennis controls, confirmed the protocol to us. "The first thing to say is that Djokovic did not refuse the test. The rules provide that when a player is notified, he must provide a sample as soon as he can. In team competitions such as the Davis Cup, players can be informed before a match, while in other competitions, control usually takes place after the match. The procedure has not been changed, either for this event or for the player. ”​

S'il n'a pas voulu être contrôlé avant sa rencontre face aux Britanniques, Novak Djokovic n'était pas familier de la procédure utilisée en Coupe Davis, où les contrôles antidopage n'ont pas toujours lieu après les matches.

Comment

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post
              Story gets murkier - or perhaps clarified.

This quote describes why "pre-match" testing is important, but other reports claim the test was NOT REQUIRED to be performed then.

Marc Madot, former French Olympic cyclist:
              “If the anti-doping body is doing its job, Mr Novak Djokovic must be suspended. He refused a test before the match and did it after. In cycling, you are subjected to a test and if you refuse, you are automatically positive. If that is the case, you are sanctioned. You don’t have the right to refuse testing, that’s the rule.”

The Olympian also explained why pre-match testing was important. Madiot added: “In the assortment of doping products there are those that can be detected for a very limited period of time. If you don’t test yourself before the start, during the match, their traces can be erased in the body."

Meanwhile, The ITF is disputing reports that Djokovic did not get tested as required:

"Several media outlets reported that Djokovic didn’t comply with the rules. However, the ITIA confirmed in a statement published in France’s top news source L'Equipe that the players at the Davis Cup last year had a choice to submit their blood samples either before or after the match.​

In Davis Cup, teams are notified before the start of the match. This allows players to choose if they prefer to do it before their match, otherwise, it will be after, a member of the organisation told us. They have a choice. Some players prefer to do it before, it frees them up after the meeting, which is also not bad, they avoid staying on site too long after the end of a meeting.”

Interesting cross section of views.

Everything suggests Novak is not a drugs cheat. His Covid stance kind of backs this up. That said, he is a rope-a-dope master so perhaps his Covid stance, of not wanting to put anything foreign in his body, is a decoy for something shady. Well, he is a complex character that Novak.
              Stotty

Comment

Well, he is a complex character that Novak.
                Aren't we all?
                don_budge
                Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Interesting cross section of views.

Everything suggests Novak is not a drugs cheat. His Covid stance kind of backs this up. That said, he is a rope-a-dope master so perhaps his Covid stance, of not wanting to put anything foreign in his body, is a decoy for something shady. Well, he is a complex character that Novak.
                  I wouldn't expect Djokovic to believe in conventional healthcare given the evidence ( Agassi quitting as coach because Djoko refused to get elbow surgery, which he eventually had, whole vax thing). And that would, presumably, rule out steroids & blood doping.

But his passion for pseudo-science could lead him down dubious paths. Witness Djokovic giving credit for his Roland Garros title to a "Nano-patch" he wore during matches that employs nano-tubes to channel natural body energy into light frequencies that enhance energy using a "quantum tube". {You can order one online for $200 ! Perfect for Xmas>}. If that miracle of alien technology actually worked, it would be a PED <g> . Earlier he traveled with a $250,000 compression chamber that supposedly enhanced recovery. Djokovic also claimed the hoax "Bosnian Pyramids" had tremendous powers that aided him {and presumably his investment in what is essentially a tourist park with an adjacent Djokovic tennis facility.}

Whether people are willing to believe he uses "something", whether he does or not, is enhanced by his and his team's behavior. Remember these viral incidents with his mystery "drink" and Djokovic inhaling "something" during Wimbledon?

From Australian 7New TV:
                  Novak Djokovic’s team caught on camera as ‘bizarre’ secret drink video goes viral: ‘Incredibly suspicious’

https://7news.com.au/sport/tennis/no...ious-c-8780967

"A bizarre video of Novak Djokovic’s team preparing a drink has overshadowed the tennis superstar’s shock loss to Danish teenager Holger Rune in the final of the Paris Masters.​

"As members of the team realise there is a camera on them they shift their seating positions to block the view.The water bottle was then handed to a ball-girl, who ran it over to Djokovic."

The clip has had over 3.5 million views since being posted on Twitter. Leading tennis journalist Ben Rothenberg labelled it “bizarre” and called for more transparency about the substances players take. “I’ve always thought there should be more transparency about the substances players take, particularly during matches, but I’ve also rarely thought anything was likely amiss,” he tweeted.

“But golly, the body language in this video is bizarre. What does the Djokovic team think needs hiding?” think rivals (and the public and the officials governing the sport) should get to know (the substance). I don’t think there should be secret substances being ingested during competition.

“I’m accusing no one of anything here, but what an incredibly suspicious way to start acting when you suddenly notice that you’re being filmed. (I) Hope Djokovic and/or his team get asked about this today in Paris, and that they don’t just accept his previous “magic potions” answer.”

Djokovic was previously asked about an unknown substance he appeared to inhale at Wimbledon this year with the 35-year-old saying it was a “magic potion”.

Comment

Where are the statistics when you really need them?
                    don_budge
                    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post

I wouldn't expect Djokovic to believe in conventional healthcare given the evidence ( Agassi quitting as coach because Djoko refused to get elbow surgery, which he eventually had, whole vax thing). And that would, presumably, rule out steroids & blood doping.

But his passion for pseudo-science could lead him down dubious paths. Witness Djokovic giving credit for his Roland Garros title to a "Nano-patch" he wore during matches that employs nano-tubes to channel natural body energy into light frequencies that enhance energy using a "quantum tube". {You can order one online for $200 ! Perfect for Xmas>}. If that miracle of alien technology actually worked, it would be a PED <g> . Earlier he traveled with a $250,000 compression chamber that supposedly enhanced recovery. Djokovic also claimed the hoax "Bosnian Pyramids" had tremendous powers that aided him {and presumably his investment in what is essentially a tourist park with an adjacent Djokovic tennis facility.}

Whether people are willing to believe he uses "something", whether he does or not, is enhanced by his and his team's behavior. Remember these viral incidents with his mystery "drink" and Djokovic inhaling "something" during Wimbledon?

From Australian 7New TV:
                      Novak Djokovic’s team caught on camera as ‘bizarre’ secret drink video goes viral: ‘Incredibly suspicious’

https://7news.com.au/sport/tennis/no...ious-c-8780967

"A bizarre video of Novak Djokovic’s team preparing a drink has overshadowed the tennis superstar’s shock loss to Danish teenager Holger Rune in the final of the Paris Masters.​

"As members of the team realise there is a camera on them they shift their seating positions to block the view.The water bottle was then handed to a ball-girl, who ran it over to Djokovic."

The clip has had over 3.5 million views since being posted on Twitter. Leading tennis journalist Ben Rothenberg labelled it “bizarre” and called for more transparency about the substances players take. “I’ve always thought there should be more transparency about the substances players take, particularly during matches, but I’ve also rarely thought anything was likely amiss,” he tweeted.

“But golly, the body language in this video is bizarre. What does the Djokovic team think needs hiding?” think rivals (and the public and the officials governing the sport) should get to know (the substance). I don’t think there should be secret substances being ingested during competition.

“I’m accusing no one of anything here, but what an incredibly suspicious way to start acting when you suddenly notice that you’re being filmed. (I) Hope Djokovic and/or his team get asked about this today in Paris, and that they don’t just accept his previous “magic potions” answer.”

Djokovic was previously asked about an unknown substance he appeared to inhale at Wimbledon this year with the 35-year-old saying it was a “magic potion”.
                      He's rope-a-doping. Playing the crowd. If he's innocent he could do that and have fun. Or he could be hiding in plain sight?

As Lieutenant Columbo once said: "I had a hunch you were guilty from the moment I saw you, Sir, I just didn't have the evidence until now."

We need concrete evidence, Jim, not rumour, here say, or conjecture. Get working on it...
                      Stotty

Comment

He's rope-a-doping. Playing the crowd. If he's innocent he could do that and have fun. Or he could be hiding in plain sight?

As Lieutenant Columbo once said: "I had a hunch you were guilty from the moment I saw you, Sir, I just didn't have the evidence until now."

We need concrete evidence, Jim, not rumour, here say, or conjecture. Get working on it...
                        I'll get my rumpled raincoat out and get right on it

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2766 users online. 6 members and 2760 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                        X