Interactive Forum December 2023: Ben Shelton Backhands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interactive Forum December 2023: Ben Shelton Backhands

Here’s Ben's lefty two-hander. First thing I noticed was the double bend hitting arm structure and how that pushes his contact point back closer to his body. Similar to another double bend guy named Sinner, but maybe even further back.

He also seems really comfortable in open stance. But what do you guys think?​

Do the functional backswing principles apply to backhands as well as forehands? Is the double bend at contact a result of his functional backswing, where he needs to bring hand speed from the backswing into the forward swing? In his backswing, Shelton doesn't allow his arms to go past the line of his shoulders, which is good. His backhand seems to be a "shield" to quote Craig O'Shannessy, where it's used for consistency to set up his forehand. Definitely his weaker side.

Sean
    Last edited by seano; 12-16-2023, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Sean, Can you explain what you mean by functional backswing principles and how it relates to Ben?

Comment

John -

Curious if a comparison can be made between the principles of a ATP classical forehand and a double-bend backhand. The classical forehand requires hand-speed from the backswing to compensate for a bent elbow at contact. Does the double-bend backhand require hand speed to compensate for 2 bent elbows at contact? To me, Shelton has a somewhat loopy backswing, (opposed to the straight-back backswing of a Djokovic) like a classical forehand might. Does Shelton need to loop his backswing to try to generate hand speed to compensate for his double-bend backhand?

Sean

Comment

These are good question...

Comment

Would a one hander have been a better solution for him? He looks plenty strong enough to pull it off. The two hander looks like a cramped cream puff.

Comment

This is a great question!

Comment

If Ben's loss to Mannarino was the only match of his I'd seen, I'd believe he only hits slice backhands, and not well.

French 35 yo completely dictated play. Shelton's backhand couldn't do anything against low slice. He's very much a work in progress still.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2768 users online. 7 members and 2761 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                X