ATP's "Biggest Forehands of 2023"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATP's "Biggest Forehands of 2023"

ATP's TDI/ Tennis Insights just released this chart showing average speed and spin for the year by ATP players.

The horizontal axis is average speed in MPH, the vertical axis is ave forehand topspin in RPMs, so the quadrant to your upper-right comprises the "heaviest" forehands. Ruud remains the second spinniest, to coin a word.

The "Next Generation Forehand" might be defined by a line between dots for Caspar Ruud, Carlos Alcaraz, Jannik Sinner and Nicholas Jarry.

Top 20 players are in yellow-ish dots. The ATP is doing a slow reveal on the other dots. Finnish Ruusuvuori is one. I'm guessing Arthur Fils is the top right. Maybe Cerundolo? You?

If measured consistently, this showa an increase in average speed by the top players.

Temper this by noting that some of the highest, ave velocity forehands are by players that have been around for al long time -- Grigor Dimitrov, and Djokovic. Grigor has had a resurgent year and has always had a good forehand, but I don't recall seeing him reported among the tops in velocity before. I've already written here {and quoted Goren on it} how Djokovic has significantly improved his forehand -- and goes for more to compensate for other declines.

filedata/fetch?id=102952&d=1703022068&type=thumb
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    Last edited by jimlosaltos; 12-19-2023, 01:48 PM.

Update:

Teen Arthur Fils is supposedly the top right blue dot with the highest speed & spin (I was right! I was right! Please visualize me doing a happy dance!)

Tennis Insight says Chris Eubanks is the furtherest right with big average speed & tour average spin.

Ruusuvuori is one of those blue dots

TDI promising full chart by end of the week. Still time to guess.

Comment

In England we a have a game called ''spot the ball''. Basically it's a photo of a bunch of soccer players in action with the ball airbrushed out and you have to put a cross exactly where the ball might be. With your graph it kind of the opposite...we have to guess who the player might be.
      Stotty

Comment

I would have thought Berrenttini would be this high spin and speed mix. And Karatsev.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
          I would have thought Berrenttini would be this high spin and speed mix. And Karatsev.
          Good call ... BUT ATP/ TDI is only labelling the top 20 players so far, and Berrettini with all his injuries is down to 92 and (checking) Karatsev is 35.

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
            In England we a have a game called ''spot the ball''. Basically it's a photo of a bunch of soccer players in action with the ball airbrushed out and you have to put a cross exactly where the ball might be. With your graph it kind of the opposite...we have to guess who the player might be.
            Exactly! ATP / TDI is "teasing' the release of the others to build response online, sort of like a quiz or puzzle.

Promises answers on the lowly 'blue dot' players, I think tomorrow. I'll check then.

Suspense is killing me

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
              I'm guessing Arthur Fils, Russovori, F. Cerundolo, Khachanov in the upper right quadrant.

Already posted here that Eubanks is the outlier to the very far right (velocity) but right on the axis for average spin.

Comment

Fils out there with that spin and speed something else. He is such a strong build, maybe the strongest for his age since Nadal.

Comment

Ah, The Big Reveal. Actually, ATP/ TDI only labelled the top ones outside the top 20 (Red Dots now).

So, I got the key one right! - Arthur Fils, 19 yo NexGen runner up is the top-right dot with the highest spin to go with one of the highest MPHs.
                  Imagine what he'll do when he's all grown up.

FAA, TK3, Berrettini, Ruusuvuori, Eubanks -- I admit to be suprisinged by Safiullin, forgot about Lehecka.

Borna Gojo, who I included a pic of in the Golden Gate Open medley, is a huge hitter averaging about 81 MPH. Gojo also shows up in
                  the top 10 ATP servers.

Sadly, TDI didn't keep the top 20/ yellow dots labelled, so we have to go back and forth between the two graphics to compare.
                  And, the blue dots that weren't turned into red remain unlabelled.
                  This is like a Xmas present you get keep unwrapping, bit by bit.

filedata/fetch?id=102965&d=1703266906&type=thumb
                  Last edited by jimlosaltos; 12-22-2023, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Here, I merged the graphics so you can see the Top 20 players plus the "red dots" the biggest hitters NOT ranked in the top 20 TOGETHER.

Just for clarity, TDI posted a version of this with the Top 20 players in yellow dots labelled.
                    Then it posted a version with the high results by players NOT in the top 20 BUT that version didn't include the top 20.
                    So, I combined them for you.. <g>

I hope TDI eventually posts the full list but meanwhile ....

filedata/fetch?id=102967&d=1703282980&type=thumb
                    Last edited by jimlosaltos; 12-22-2023, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3657 users online. 5 members and 3652 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                    X