Brisbane ATP 250

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brisbane ATP 250

Grigor takes out Murray in 3. Murray played well for the first set and a half, after that the outcome seemed inevitable. Murray looked like the old war horse out there.

Comment

Nadal is the betting favorite over Thiem. Not so sure about that, his movement look labored to me in his doubles match.

Comment

Nadal wins easily 7-5, 6-1. His forehand Shot Quality was 9.6 1st set.

Comment

Didn't see the match but by all accounts Rafa has been 100% in training according to those who have witnessed it. He always plays himself down of course. I think we are all used to that by now. The more likely result of his long sabbatical is that he has added something to his game.
          Stotty

Comment

I watched the replay of the first set and Rafa looked very strong. He played superbly behind his first serve and seemed to be hitting heavily off both wings and from tight up to the baseline much of the time. He was moving pretty well too. Rafa still looks a threat to anyone to me.
            Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
              I watched the replay of the first set and Rafa looked very strong. He played superbly behind his first serve and seemed to be hitting heavily off both wings and from tight up to the baseline much of the time. He was moving pretty well too. Rafa still looks a threat to anyone to me.
              Just found highlights. Absolutely. Great energy, as well.

Comment

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post

Just found highlights. Absolutely. Great energy, as well.
                Still appears to have the best forehand in tennis.

Comment

Jordan Thompson really stood tall vs Nadal and just won the 2nd set tiebreaker to extend to a 3rd set. Nadal does look labored out there to me defending deep into the corners. The winner gets in form Grigor in the semis.

Comment

Nadal now down 4-1, 3rd set, has left the court for a medical timeout. I do not think it is his wrist.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
                      Nadal now down 4-1, 3rd set, has left the court for a medical timeout. I do not think it is his wrist.
                      Rafa says it is a leg. "Looks" less serious than prior Aussie leg injury?

ATP: "

Asked about the issue in his upper leg, Nadal explained that the problem is in a similar place to his injury from last season, but that the pain was more in his muscle as opposed to his tendon.

"For sure it's not the same like last year at all, because when it happened last year, I felt something drastic immediately," he said. "Today I didn't feel anything. The only problem is because the place is the same, you are a little bit more scared than usual.

"In ideal world, it's just the muscle supercharged after a few days of effort and a very tough match. That will be the ideal thing, something that we know that can happen today. That is why I'm talking all the time and my goal is to try to be competitive in a few months."

He also added: "If that [pain] is not important, it's a very positive week." READ MORE NEWS

Rafael Nadal's return in Brisbane ended with a quarter-final defeat to Jordan Thompson in which he took a medical timeout for apparent treatment on his upper left leg.

Comment

He is out of the AO.

Comment

Grigor rides his beautiful game to a hard fought high quality straight set win over Rune in the final. Grigor is only the 14th or so favorite to win the AO, but he is really playing well.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
                            He is out of the AO.
                            Very unfortunate but Rafa's been clear the end of the dirt season is his priority, and rightfully so

A muscle micro tear has put Rafael Nadal’s comeback on pause, with the 22-time major winner announcing he will miss next week’s Australian Open.

“Once I got to Melbourne I have had the chance to make an MRI and I have (a) micro tear on a muscle, not in the same part where I had the injury and that’s good news.
                            “Right now I am not ready to compete at the maximum level of exigence in five sets matches. I’m flying back to Spain to see my doctor, get some treatment and rest.”

Comment

Grigor Dimitrov picked one of his favourite tournaments at which to snap a six-year title drought Sunday, beating Holger Rune 7-6(5), 6-4 in the Brisbane International presented by Evie final to collect his ninth ATP Tour title.

There was just one disappointment: Dimitrov’s parents, Dimitar and Maria, had to leave the final early to catch a flight home.

"I told them goodbye before the match and I was checking the clock a few times to see if I would finish the match a little earlier but unfortunately it was not that easy,” Dimitrov said.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2443 users online. 7 members and 2436 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X