Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interactive Forum January 2024: Roger Federer Forehand Volley

Roger Federer Forehand Volley

So here is some rare footage from a kid’s clinic Roger did on the volley. This month the forehand. First in regular time, then in slow motion. It’s not Tennisplayer video, but you can still see a lot.

Love the compact motion. The initiation with the shoulder turn. The push forward with the back shoulder to contact. The hitting arm position, and in some, the backward rotation of the hitting arm in the shoulder joint. Now compare Roger’s left arm in this footage to his volley in Pat’s article in this issue!

I think it’s a great model but what do you guys say?

Last edited by johnyandell; 01-02-2024, 04:39 PM.

Wish we could see his footwork but you can tell how he loads to move through the ball when possible, right foot open slightly, load and go meet the ball; base is so stable yet dynamic. Working from the ground up. Thanks for the video, beautiful volleys.

Comment

Yeah if it was me I would have also filmed the feet, but the swing technical elements are awesome!

Comment

Great vid of Roger. Outside in swing path and slightly high to low swing path (in addition to outward towards the target.

Comment

It might be interesting to see Roger block-volley a ball coming at him at 110 mph? I would expect even less racket-movement.

Comment

Originally posted by chux10sed View Post
            It might be interesting to see Roger block-volley a ball coming at him at 110 mph? I would expect even less racket-movement.
            Not what you're looking for, but perhaps of interest. Think this is the right image from rummaging my hard drive. I happened to grab this from Fed's last Laver Cup appearance (2022?). Playing after 4th knee surgery, doubles with Rafa and Jack Sock hits a 103 MPH return from no man's land right at Fed's right hip. Fed swing fending off the shot is more Zorro sword flourish than block. Imagine Fed cutting down suddenly and swiping around and under with his wrist.

filedata/fetch?id=103261&d=1706548722&type=thumb
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 1 photos.
            Last edited by jimlosaltos; 01-29-2024, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Great capture of a cut volley. Good volleyers can cut under and drop volley under the ball. Although their shot may go a little high, the ball lands very close to the net and if playing on clay, the ball either kicks back into the net or their opponent slides into the net.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorhl View Post
                Great capture of a cut volley. Good volleyers can cut under and drop volley under the ball. Although their shot may go a little high, the ball lands very close to the net and if playing on clay, the ball either kicks back into the net or their opponent slides into the net.
                Thanks. I think Sock's shot would have broken my wrist <g>

Comment

very cool photo in Special above

Comment

Originally posted by chux10sed View Post
                    very cool photo in Special above
                    Thanks! Tennis misses Fed (Or at least I do).

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2351 users online. 4 members and 2347 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                    X