Australian Open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glad I don't bet.

Since we're doing projections, here's one that quite different from the punters'.
    ELO projections for 2024 from Jeff Stockman at Tennis Abstract.

For anyone that is not familiar, Elo is the math model used to rank chess players, but can be applied anywhere. Ranking is doing a bit like tennis rankings in the old days, you ranked on the quality of your opponent. i.e. Beating Djokovic is worth more than beating a qualifier, etc.

In fairness, Jeff admits the range of outcomes in the projections are large. For Alcaraz, as an example, at 95% prediction interval, the top is world number one while the bottom is barely in the top 10.

I often illustrate the difference between Elo ratings and the traditional ATP and WTA ranking-point systems as follows: The official rankings tell you how good a player was six months ago. Elo estimates where they are today. For the purposes of tournament entry and so on, a 52-week average makes sense. But if you’re predicting … Continue reading Predicting Next Year’s Elo Ratings

filedata/fetch?id=103112&d=1704826995&type=thumb
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Paths to title for top seeds/ quarters and on, based on seed.
      Let's see if I can type this without an egregious error.

Men's
      Djokovic
      Round 16: Shelton (that could be juicy)
      QF: Tsitsipas ( iffy, given Stef's back)
      SF: Sinner ( Jannik comes in winning 2/3 vs Nole on HCs at year's end)
      Final: Alcaraz

Alcaraz
      QF: Zverev
      SF: Medvedev
      Final: Djoko

Medvedev
      SF: Rune
      SF: Alcaraz
      Final: Djokovic

Sinner
      AF: Rublev
      SF: Djokovic ( Upset alert ! )
      Final: Alcaraz

Women's
      Iga (never been to Aussie final!)
      AF: Vondrousova
      SF: Rybakina
      Final: Sabalenka

Arnya (defending champ)
      QF: Jabeur
      SF: Gauff
      Final: Świątek

Rybakina (last year's finalist )
      QF: Pegula
      SF: Swiatek
      Final: Sabalenka

Coco (US Open winner)
      AF: Sakkari
      SF: Sabalenka
      Final: Swiatek

#

Comment

Not necessarily all that easy for Novak with Murray, Wawrinka and Agut stacked in his quarter. All players he's had trouble with in the past although none are in the same form as in the past it has to be said. I always felt Wawrinka was a bigger threat to Novak than Rafa or Roger on a given day.
        Stotty

Comment

Tsitsipas vs Berrenttini and FAA vs Thiem 1st round.

Comment

Positive CNN feature on Ben Shelton.
            About this time last year, Ben Shelton was an up-and-coming tennis player taking his first-ever trip outside the United States.

“He could cut his ranking in half,” tennis coach and broadcaster Brad Gilbert recently told CNN, “and I think he’s going to be the first American [man] potentially to win a slam since Andy Roddick.”

On the other hand, he just lost to Toro Daniel in straight sets. Couldn't convert any of 3 BPs and lost a tiebreak.

Jeff Sackman of Tennis Abstract analyses Ben's return game, asking if it is good enough.
            Also today: First serve stats, and new Tennis Abstract reports. Ben Shelton is one of the rising stars of men’s tennis, the most exciting young player this side of Carlos Alcaraz. He possesses a monster serve, he’s not afraid to unleash old-school tactics, and he wears his heart on his sleeve. It’s impossible to root … Continue reading What Is Ben Shelton’s Ceiling?

"In 33 years, out of 330 top-ten finishes, only one man has reached the threshold with a RPW% lower than Shelton’s last year. And it’s someone you can’t exactly pattern a career after: If you look up “outlier” in the dictionary, you find John Isner’s face staring back at you.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
              Tsitsipas vs Berrenttini and FAA vs Thiem 1st round.
              3 from the Walking Wounded battalion. Should have swapped Wawrinka for FAA to make it a quartet.

An injured back, two wrists, and some ankles.​

This is from Stan's IG post in November. Three knee surgeries (I am guessing one a regenerative surgery) and now this perhaps ankle?

filedata/fetch?id=103128&d=1705080876&type=thumb
              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

For your convenience:

The Australian Open's main draw starts tomorrow (Aussie time). Some links for coverage on ESPN, ESPN+, ESPN2, and in Spanish, ESPN Desportes, as well as the Tennis Channel.

ESPN calendar set to women's final on Saturday, Jan 27
                ESPN calendar set to men's final on Sunday, Jan 28
                ESPN calendar set to Jan 13, first day of main draw
                Link from AO web site to ESPN list here.

Tennis Channel:
                Subscribe to Tennis Channel Plus and watch over 1300 live matches as well thousands of on-demand matches. Are you a Tennis Channel subscriber? Authenticate and watch the network streamed live.

List of other broadcasters:

Reminder:
                Melbourne VIC, Australia is 19 hours ahead of California
                8:09 AM Saturday, in Melbourne VIC, Australia is
                1:09 PM Friday, in California

Melbourne VIC, Australia is 11 hours ahead of London, UK
                8:11 AM Saturday, in Melbourne VIC, Australia is
                9:11 PM Friday, in London, UK​

Comment

Australian Open order of play - Sunday 14 January

(all times UK / GMT)

Rod Laver Arena

From 1am

Jannik Sinner vs Botic van de Zandschulp

Maria Sakkari vs Nao Hibino

From 8am

Novak Djokovic vs Dino Prizmic

Aryna Sabalenka vs Ella Seidel

Margaret Court Arena

From 1am

Mai Hontama vs Barbora Krejcikova

Thiago Seyboth Wild vs Andrey Rublev

From 8am

Magda Linette vs Caroline Wozniacki

Frances Tiafoe vs Borna Coric

John Cain Arena

From 1am

Leylah Fernandez vs Sara Bejlek

Dane Sweeny vs Francisco Cerundolo

From 8am

Taylor Fritz vs Facundo Diaz Acosta

Comment

Carlos Alcaraz will be playing in his first ever Australian Open without his coach because "Ferrero is not in Melbourne as he is recovering from arthroscopic surgery on his left knee."

Does it matter? Alcaraz seems to really more on hi

Comment

Quite the crowd and atmosphere for Novak's 1st round mstch vs 18 year old Prizmic.

Comment

Novak wins in 4 sets, in just over 4 hours. The young Croatian Prizmic really competed well, very impressive. Fritz was fortunate to get through his match in 5, same for Rublev. Tiafoe in a tough match vs Coric right now. Berrenttini withdraws from tournament with a foot injury.

Comment

Some quick notes:

Djokovic: “I started off very well for a 36-year-old guy,” the world No.1 joked afterwards. “Jeez, when you think about it, I’m double his age.

Loads of long matches for the first round of a major. Djokovic pushed to four sets in over 4 hours by an 18 yo qualifier (Note: The AO site actually has the wrong, incomplete score for this match. Go figure}. Rublev needed a fifth set tiebreak that went 10-6 to top T. Seyboth Wild, Fernando Cerundolo needed his own 5 sets to top a qualifier, D. Sweeny. Christopher O'Connell a 29 yo Australian journeyman needed 5 also, over Christian Garin. Ditto Galan over Kubler. And Taylor Fritz over world 93 Facundo Diaz Acosta.

Some very positive news from players that won in straights: Amanda Anisimova, the once teen prodigy who has barely played for some time for a variety of reasons, took out number 13 Samsonova. Wonderful to see Amanda back. Hard to believe Leylah Fernandez is only 21 yo, since we've been hearing about her since her great run to the "Upstart Final" at the US Open with Emma Raducanu, looked solid in straight sets over 17 yo Sara Bejlek. Caroline Wozniaki made good use of her maternity-leave wild card, 2 and love over number 13 seed, Magda Linette.​

Comment

Brad Gilbert called in Andy Roddick to help tweak Coco Gauff's serve.

“I coached Andy at a young age. He’s got an amazing serve. And I was thinking, ‘what a great person to take a look at Coco’s serve,’” said Gilbert ahead of Novak Djokovic’s opener with 18-year-old Dino Prizmic.

He continued, “It’s kind of full circle. When I coached Andy, I was his age now. Andy was like Coco’s age. It was a great two days. Really helped things out, simplified Coco’s motion, abbreviated a little bit.”

Coco: “It only took me, like, two days—maybe three—to get really comfortable with it,” she said. “It was just to make the toss more consistent. Instead of throwing from so low to start up higher to make the toss more consistent.”

Tennis.com

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2460 users online. 4 members and 2456 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                            X