No announcement yet.

Interactive Forum February 2024: Roger Federer Backhand Volley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's a YT video out there that actually criticizes the BH volley technique of Federer's and that the take-back is too far and that a better way is to emulate a high-level doubles player such as Rohan Bopanna. I actually think the poster had a valid point and Fed's BH volley is just a compact version of his slice BH.

Comment

Originally posted by tobinlim View Post
      There's a YT video out there that actually criticizes the BH volley technique of Federer's and that the take-back is too far and that a better way is to emulate a high-level doubles player such as Rohan Bopanna. I actually think the poster had a valid point and Fed's BH volley is just a compact version of his slice BH.
      You might be right but when I reflect on many of the matches I watched, Roger he never seemed to miss too many backhand volleys. Most of the leaks seemed to come from the forehand volley.

I think the modern backhand volley seems to have slightly higher backswing than those of the golden era.

Here's a rather lovely one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYlsa6tK0SI

That said, Rosewall had a stunning backhand volley, and as we see him knocking up (1:10) his backswing seems very similar to Roger's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wzOjv1BeMI
      Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post

You might be right but when I reflect on many of the matches I watched, Roger he never seemed to miss too many backhand volleys. Most of the leaks seemed to come from the forehand volley.

I think the modern backhand volley seems to have slightly higher backswing than those of the golden era.

Here's a rather lovely one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYlsa6tK0SI

That said, Rosewall had a stunning backhand volley, and as we see him knocking up (1:10) his backswing seems very similar to Roger's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wzOjv1BeMI
        And wasn't Rosewall known for his one-handed slice backhand?
        Correct me, and I've hardly seen any of his matches from so long ago, but wasn't the slice backhand his best shot and the one opponents' feared?

Comment

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post

And wasn't Rosewall known for his one-handed slice backhand?
          Correct me, and I've hardly seen any of his matches from so long ago, but wasn't the slice backhand his best shot and the one opponents' feared?
          Actually he had two backhands; flat and slice. I watched him up close and personal at Wimbledon many years ago. He was practicing on an outside court with Fred Stolle for the veteran's event. I think he was in his fifties then but still athletic and playing well. His backhand was beautiful and wonderful to watch.

His backhand volley was even better in my view and the best ever until Edberg came along.
          Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post

Actually he had two backhands; flat and slice. I watched him up close and personal at Wimbledon many years ago. He was practicing on an outside court with Fred Stolle for the veteran's event. I think he was in his fifties then but still athletic and playing well. His backhand was beautiful and wonderful to watch.

His backhand volley was even better in my view and the best ever until Edberg came along.
            Awesome. Thanks.

Comment

Great thread on the backhand volley and amazed that there is always something new to learn. I kind of long for those days when the game wasn't so dominated by power and we got to routinely witness someone prepare to stick a backhand volley, then change to a drop volley in doubles and sometimes in singles. As for getting to see lob volleys.......?

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2435 users online. 5 members and 2430 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
              X