No announcement yet.

Memorial to the One Handed Backhand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One issue that is actually the real issue: which is better for the 99.99%?

Comment

I am afraid we might have to blame the coaches. I can only speak for my neck of the woods but in that woods there are some 50 coaches or so and none of them teach a one-handed backhand. It just goes with the territory when starting players very young and the quick results the player gets versus the one-hander which takes far longer to develop. Narrow-minded stuff I know, but it's the route most coaches opt for without a second thought.
      Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
        I am afraid we might have to blame the coaches. I can only speak for my neck of the woods but in that woods there are some 50 coaches or so and none of them teach a one-handed backhand. It just goes with the territory when starting players very young and the quick results the player gets versus the one-hander which takes far longer to develop. Narrow-minded stuff I know, but it's the route most coaches opt for without a second thought.
        Here's a theory I've heard I'd like to bounce off you. For top juniors, potential pros, the pressure to win very early and get on the fast track (USTA support, entry to events, coaching) is tremendous. Two hander is easier to learn for young players so today, a Pete Sampras would be told to stick with the two-hander and not risk a set back, as he did.

Comment

For anyone that would like a reminder of how good Fed's one-hander was, and how it could handle the DTL shot post RJ97, here's some video vs Rafa in Indian Wells.

Comment

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post

Here's a theory I've heard I'd like to bounce off you. For top juniors, potential pros, the pressure to win very early and get on the fast track (USTA support, entry to events, coaching) is tremendous. Two hander is easier to learn for young players so today, a Pete Sampras would be told to stick with the two-hander and not risk a set back, as he did.
            Yes this is what my post was alluding to. I can understand the root causes and live with them, it's just sometimes players are wired to be one-handers (like Edberg and Sampras) and it's a shame when they are, literarily, forced to be two-handed players. In performance tennis pushy parents wanting results are part of the cause. Coaches feel the need to get results for various reasons also.

Plus, the majority of the younger coaches are these days are two-handers themselves, and you are more likely to teach what you do yourself I guess.
            Stotty

Comment

Stotty,
              All true! It's a loss. A certain significant percentage of players would be much better off long term with a one!

Comment

The great develpmental coaches of Stotty's caliber have a visual library and working knowledge of various stroke types and styles and try to nudge, not force, the player to adopt a style that fits his or her body type, strength, speed, temperament, etc. Yet, anomalies exist......Medvedev!!

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3082 users online. 4 members and 3078 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                X