No announcement yet.

Rio ATP 500, Doha ATP 250, Los Cabos ATP 250

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On Tennis Channel, The forehand of 17 yo Joao Fonseca was compared to that of Juan Martin del Potro by Rob KoenigTennis and Nicolas Pereira.... quite a compliment!

Comment

Imagine an ATP event that requires a finalist to play three (3) consecutive matches starting -- yes, starting -- at 8 PM

Insane Saturday schedule at Los Cabos (via Oleg S):

— singles final at 8pm, followed by
      — singles trophy ceremony, followed by
      — doubles semifinal featuring singles finalists, followed by
      — doubles final

Yes. It will be cooler at 3AM

Comment

In Los Cabos, Tsitsipas and Zverev not a good showing in their semi matches. Tsitsipas just way too many errors off his backhand, and Zverev just was outplayed by Jordan Thompson, who showed in that match the power of an all court game.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
          In Los Cabos, Tsitsipas and Zverev not a good showing in their semi matches. Tsitsipas just way too many errors off his backhand, and Zverev just was outplayed by Jordan Thompson, who showed in that match the power of an all court game.
          and winning big points

ATP "After saving three match points in a quarter-final comeback against Alex Michelsen, Jordan Thompson needed seven match points of his own to seal an upset of top seed Alexander Zverev at the Mifel Tennis Open by Telcel Oppo.

Following three hours, 40 minutes of semi-final drama on Friday night, the Aussie advanced to his third tour-level final with a 7-5, 4-6, 7-6(2) victory that concluded just after 1 a.m. In search of his first ATP Tour title, he will meet Casper Ruud in Saturday's final at the ATP 250.

"I think it's just a miracle," Thompson said of his Los Cabos run, which included a fightback from 6-0, 3-0 down against Michelsen. "I never thought I'd be here."​

Comment

Navone takes the first set against Norrie. Navone, and impressive baseliner ranked 90 places below Norrie looks a better player thus far. Just shows the depth of tennis out there. You can be ranked 90 places ahead of someone but if you stick your head above the parapet on a bad day that someone might very easily knock your block off.
            Stotty

Comment

Could not agree more about depth in ATP.

Comment

Thompson wins. Then wins. Then wins.

Three matches in one night and two trophies. Singles final over Ruud 6-3 7-6(4) is his FIRST ATP Tour singles title at 29 years old.

Ended at 2:57am. Six (6) hours of tournament play in one night, not counting time in between, all starting at 8 PM, I believe.

Included four (5) tiebreaks. Don't tell me pro tennis has scheduling problems ! P.S. And Ruud had to sit after losing, waiting for the doubles semi before playing the doubles final.

Earlier Thompson beat top seed Zverev 7-5 4-6 7-6(2) after 3h 40m. Wonder how much he made per hour?

filedata/fetch?id=103495&d=1708881120&type=thumb
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 1 photos.
                Last edited by jimlosaltos; 02-25-2024, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Thompson has an underrated game. A bit like Dan Evans with a lot of all court variety. His slice backhand is about as good as it gers for a 2 hander.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
                    Thompson has an underrated game. A bit like Dan Evans with a lot of all court variety. His slice backhand is about as good as it gers for a 2 hander.
                    From games I saw his serve was very good and his forehand, when he went for it, was huge.

Comment

22 yo ArgentineMariano Navone​ was 0-2 in main tour events, now playing in the Rio Open final.

Beat Cam Norie, Joao Fonseca, Hanfmann, Coria, Olivieri, Alves to get there.

“Challengers have changed my life,” he said. “I made my first final in 2022 in Corrientes. In that moment, I was around 520 in the rankings. The level of Challengers has given me everything. The matches have a lot of intensity. The competition, the players are so special. They've developed my game and mentality. It's a challenge all the time to win matches. It's very difficult to win.”

Comment

Baez dismantles Navone 6-2 6-1 through sheer consistency. It wasn't through want of trying from Navone's end. He just tends to pull the trigger at the wrong time here and there. Baez makes no such mistakes...a solid player on clay for sure.
                        Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2370 users online. 6 members and 2364 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                        X