Dubai, ATP 500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dubai, ATP 500

Shapovalov vs Murray in 1st round, not match of the day. Denis would be the favorite here I suppose with these 2 struggling players.
    Last edited by stroke; 02-25-2024, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
      Shapovalov vs Murray in 1st round, not match of the day. Denis would be the favorite here I suppose with these 2 struggling players.
      Not a bad match so far. Murray should have lost by now but instead it's one set all. Careless player Shapovalov at times...good to watch but error strewn and often always at the wrong time...5-5 in the tiebreak then throws in a double. Thank you very much says Andy Murray. Murray looks well past his best these days, however, and I don't think there's any way back to the top for him
      Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post

Not a bad match so far. Murray should have lost by now but instead it's one set all. Careless player Shapovalov at times...good to watch but error strewn and often always at the wrong time...5-5 in the tiebreak then throws in a double. Thank you very much says Andy Murray. Murray looks well past his best these days, however, and I don't think there's any way back to the top for him
        Denis just makes way to many careless errors. Obviously he has more firepower on everything than Murray, but Denis refuses to lock down, grind it out.

Comment

Brutal loss for Struff in 3 vs Hubie. Struff definitely had the firepower to hand with Hubie, and actually won 5 more total points in the match. His forehand was cleary superior to Hubie's. Smallest of margins, such a tough loss for Struff.

Comment

How good is Medvedev's return? Let us count the ways.

Per ATP's Tennis Insights (TDI) from his Dubai match with Fokina:

Medvdev makes
            94% (30/32) 1st returns (62% tour avg.)
            94% (15/16) 2nd returns (82% tour avg.​

And The Octopus doesn't just "make" returns, he hits them deep and firm.

74/78 MPH with 47% in the back 1/3 of court.

filedata/fetch?id=103525&d=1709235567&type=thumb
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post
              How good is Medvedev's return? Let us count the ways.

Per ATP's Tennis Insights (TDI) from his Dubai match with Fokina:

Medvdev makes
              94% (30/32) 1st returns (62% tour avg.)
              94% (15/16) 2nd returns (82% tour avg.​

And The Octopus doesn't just "make" returns, he hits them deep and firm.

74/78 MPH with 47% in the back 1/3 of court.

filedata/fetch?id=103525&d=1709235567&type=thumb
              He is the ultimate hard hat go to work player. He embraces the work.

Comment

I guess standing virtually in the linesman lap to return gives him the longest look possible and guarantees getting the ball into play.
                Stotty

Comment

I don't watch too many matches with players further down the food chain but I watched Baez v Varillas today in the Chilean Open. It was quite a tussle with Baez prevailing in three sets. Once you get absorbed in these games they're as good as anything.

You wonder if these guys will leave the game with any kind of nest egg. Baez is 23 and amassed well over 2 million in prize money; Varillas much less. It must cost a lot annually in air travel and entourage but I assume they are in profit.
                  Stotty

Comment

Rublev defaulted vs Bublik in semifinal.
                    Supposedly a lines person translated Russian to Spanish for the chair and got him booted.
                    Although it isn't clear a day later whether the DQ happened before or after he got in a lines person's face, screaming and wagging the racket a foot from her face.
                    Lines calling has been dubious but Rublev does come across as threatening when he complains.

Comment

I like Rublev, but he deserved that default. But there have certainly in the past been worse behavior that did not result in a default.

Andrey Rublev disqualified for screaming in the face of a line judge during his semi-final against Alexander Bublik; Defending champion Daniil Medvedev beaten by Ugo Humbertwatch over 80 tournaments a year, including the US Open, exclusively live on Sky Sports Tennis
                      Last edited by stroke; 03-01-2024, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
                        I like Rublev, but he deserved that default. But there have certainly in the past been worse behavior that did not result in a default.

https://www.skysports.com/tennis/new...-championships
                        Agreed. Tour needs consistent enforcement.

But this has been building for Rublev. Gone from personally berating himself to admonishing officials in ways that are threatening and unacceptable. Lots of such incidents on the Asian swing.

Seems like a decent, jovial bloke. I don't think he understands how he is coming across when his emotions boil over.

Comment

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post

Agreed. Tour needs consistent enforcement.

But this has been building for Rublev. Gone from personally berating himself to admonishing officials in ways that are threatening and unacceptable. Lots of such incidents on the Asian swing.

Seems like a decent, jovial bloke. I don't think he understands how he is coming across when his emotions boil over.
                          Consistency in enforcing the rules is key. It's will probably end up an AI job in the end because, when all said and done, most human beings lack the balls to deal with the likes of Nadal and co. taking liberties.
                          Stotty

Comment

What a win for Ugo Humbert over an in form and interested Bublik. Ugo really has a nice all court game, great court coverage, and a lefty Mannarino like swing serve to the ad court.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3336 users online. 1 members and 3335 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                            X